Am I the only one using (Indian) 'cook in sauces'?

BritManToo

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Am I the only one using these sauces?

Maybe you enjoy less than authentic Indian food because you can't be ar$ed to cook yourself by using easily available curry powders/ingredients, instead of ready made jars ?

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, steven100 said:

how much do they sell for ?

Chicken curries, 129b each,  I am a small eater,  once defrosted I put it in a pan and cut the big chunks into smaller pieces,  I find the sauce a bit to thick for me, so I add a little water, (put half back in the fridge), and eat with nan bread, mango chutney, and yoghurt .

I try to order enough to fill a foam box, pies, pizzas, that way I consider the 500b delivery well worth it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Chicken curries, 129b each,  I am a small eater,  once defrosted I put it in a pan and cut the big chunks into smaller pieces,  I find the sauce a bit to thick for me, so I add a little water, (put half back in the fridge), and eat with nan bread, mango chutney, and yoghurt .

I try to order enough to fill a foam box, pies, pizzas, that way I consider the 500b delivery well worth it. 

The Sauce jars (with chicken added) work out at around 40bht each for 5 x 250gm portions of curry (800gm chicken + 450gm sauce = 1250gm of curry).

So 1/3 of the cost of your curry or 1/6 price if you exclude the rice.

No comparison on cost really.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

That's the one. Considering the lack of meat you usually get in their ready meals this is excellent. 8/10

These curries are definitely still available, I just bought one this morning.

Thing to do is ask your local 7-11 manager if he (or she) can order them in.

07575AC9-B738-4AD3-8477-798EDA708B01.jpeg

21 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

New Years day both my niece and I got food poisoned from one of CM's famous Indian places - have not been able to go near the stuff since... 

Interesting.

Didn't this whole curry thing come about due to rancid meat and the curry killed germs and foul taste/smell ?

1 hour ago, ArnieP said:

There’s a frozen version for the days you only feel like going as far as the freezer and microwave: https://www.chefcares.org/product/18-frozen-chicken-tikka-masala-with-turmeric-rice

From Lotus it seems

1 hour ago, ArnieP said:

hard to find, but surprisingly edible. When they frist came out i kept a stack in the freezer

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The Sauce jars (with chicken added) work out at around 40bht each for 5 x 250gm portions of curry (800gm chicken + 450gm sauce = 1250gm of curry).

So 1/3 of the cost of your curry or 1/6 price if you exclude the rice.

No comparison on cost really.

I've never seen the sause jars with chicken in them, do you mean add and cook the chicken yourself ? mine is not about cost it just lazy cooking. Can cook won't cook. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I've never seen the sause jars with chicken in them, do you mean add and cook the chicken yourself ? mine is not about cost it just lazy cooking. Can cook won't cook. 

Yes, dice 800gm of chicken breast, stir fry until brown, add sauce and simmer for 15 mins.

About the easiest and quickest cooking ever, 20mins from start to end.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 2:05 PM, KannikaP said:

I see no hair, anyway, it's his hair and he can eat it if he wants to.

Come on Noodle, a photo of YOUR cooker, whilst cooking, not after you've just finished and cleaned up.

Oki Doks, care to share yours now?

Haven't cooked yet today, but this is the kitchen i wake up to most mornings.  The house  had an awful outdoor kichen, so i converted the front room few years back. 

kitchenIMG_20230908_141517_219~2.jpg

Edited by n00dle
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

Haven't cooked yet today, but this is the kitchen i wake up to most mornings.  

kitchenIMG_20230908_141517_219~2.jpg

Great kitchen n00dle and as clean, neat and tidy as mine, although my kitchen is smaller!! As I love cooking, a clean kitchen is important to me, as is a clean apt.

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, dice 800gm of chicken breast, stir fry until brown, add sauce and simmer for 15 mins.

About the easiest and quickest cooking ever, 20mins from start to end.

Isn’t it interesting that chicken breast is one of the cheapest cuts in Thailand, but the most expensive in the U.K and beyond?

Conversely chicken wings being the cheapest in the U.K and the most expensive in Thailand. 
Personally, I don’t use chicken breast for anything. If I prepare a chicken curry, it’s usually ‘on the bone’ drumsticks and/or thighs or with chicken thigh pieces. Especially as my curries are slow cooked for a while. If forced to use chicken breast, I would marinate it and add it towards the end of the cooking process…. and then just throw it away in disgust. ☺️Where are the vegetables? I like some potato, a la Vindaloo, for some variety. But it has to be properly cooked through, permeated by the sauce. Chicken has to be falling off the bone. 

I tried these a while back; https://uk.thespicetailor.com/collections/indian-curry-kits/products/southern-pepper-curry

Not bad. Pataks do something similar. 

It's easier and cheaper to make a curry base mix from a recipe on YouTube .. I made a load and froze the packs, along with tomato paste and ginger and garlic.

I really miss the Chinese take away curry and made a load of that too. I eat that once a week, without fail.

41 minutes ago, recom273 said:

It's easier and cheaper to make a curry base mix from a recipe on YouTube .. I made a load and froze the packs, along with tomato paste and ginger and garlic.

It is not easier than opening a jar.

It may be cheaper. It may be better, it may even be easy, but it isnt bloody easier, no matter what you say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, NextG said:
49 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Great kitchen n00dle and as clean, neat and tidy as mine, although my kitchen is smaller!! As I love cooking, a clean kitchen is important to me, as is a clean apt.

Thanks for sharing your OCD tendencies, but this thread is about curry sauces. Do you have anything to add to that?

A clean and hygienic kitchen is hardly OCD... its simply having basic standards !!!

Mistakes are made in a messy kitchen...  less so when your cooking simply involves throwing in a jar with some meat and bringing it up to temp (no criticism there, some of the sauces discussed are excellent).

But, making curries from scratch requires space and organisation, measuring out the recipes accurately is key...  mistaking a tablespoon for a teaspoon can have drastic consequences and those error surface in a messy kitchen.

• Thanks 1

Just now, save the frogs said:

we're not living in 1950. you can help your wife clean up in the kitchen.

i've made butter chicken from scratch with spices. it's not that hard. 

those prepared jars taste like crap to me. 

Which ‘prepared’ jars have you tried? I’ve tried a few over the years. Some are good, some are not so good. 
Lots of silly stories with regard to making from scratch. That would be viable if it were something you made regularly, but since I make an Indian style curry perhaps once every few months, I would spend hours creating a base sauce alone.   
So I have no issues with utilising and customising a good quality base product, such as https://uk.thespicetailor.com/

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Baiting comment removed
  • Haha 1