Am I the only one using (Indian) 'cook in sauces'?

BritManToo

Love 'em but feel they do better with added sautéed ginger/garlic/black pepper/cardamon.

'Like to cook all the aromatics down to a goo, then add the jarred sauce, then cook it some more, than add broth to desired consistency. When I lived in rural America, I'd get 'em Amazon'd in.

But I eventually went purist, made my own ghee, and did my own spice mix. 'So easy to do and so much fun to see what goes with what and have less turmeric in the mix.

Indian spice is best stripped down a bit. Chicken with mustard seed, ginger and bay leaf in a bit of ghee is my fusion breakthrough.

Is a baltic curry available anywhere in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not as necessary in Bangkok because there are loads of excellent Indian Restaurants which deliver. 

That said, I've made excellent Indian curries from scratch, the issue I find though is the tomatoes - I just can't find good enough tomatoes to make the sauce to the standards I want (when making food myself).

There's a good Indian supermarket on Sukhumvit-71 (NSK Indian Store) for raw materials (for those in Bangkok of course).

Other options are something like this https://www.spicebox.co.uk/

When back on UK visits (a couple of times per year) I pick up a handful of these 'curry mixes'.

I've also found the YouTube videos 'The Bombay Chef'  (by Varun Inamdar) to be extremely useful for Curry pre / recipes. 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I also use these, but found it is better to get the paste as opposed to the sauce, so you're not paying for water. I use make my own from spices, toast them, grind them etc etc. Now.............................can't ben ar5ed, a word banned in Parliament and the UK media!.image.thumb.jpeg.8f8521bcc4c16dec185704022292739b.jpeg

Yes me also as far as using the pastes..even When I lived in europe

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Madgee said:

As a supplier of fresh produce to Indian food establishments in the UK I can honestly tell you that the majority of kitchens are absolutely spotless. The chefs take as much pride of their kitchens as of the dishes they produce and are very finicky when it comes done to the quality of ingredients they procure.  

Now, Chinese restaurants ...........................................    

I believe you. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Pataks used to make a Tandoori sauce that was better than any restaurant I've ever been in, but discontinued it several years ago. Sharwood's Tandoori just doesn't cut it...

But I do love to use the various other sauces from both brands when I'm in too much of a hurry to make my own.