Tragic Pattaya Accident Claims Lives of 3-Year-Old and 12-Year-Old in Motorbike Collision, 3 Other Children Injured

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A 3-year-old and 12-year-old child were killed in a motorbike-pickup truck collision today near Pattaya. Three more people were injured, all under 18 years old.

The devastating accident was reported to Huay Yai Police at 11:30 AM on Sunday, September 17th, on Plang Road 9, Khao Mai Kaeo sub-district. Banglamung district, Chonburi province. The police, The Pattaya News, and emergency responders rushed to the scene to aid several injured individuals.

At the scene, many villagers were found gathered to help the victims, all of whom were minors under the age of 18. Upon examination, it was found that a 12-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl had suffered serious injuries and passed away shortly after the authorities’ arrival.

The deceased, whose names were withheld due to their young ages, were reportedly run over by a pickup truck, after a motorbike they were riding driven by other minors collided with their peers who were driving alongside them.

Their parents had traveled to see their beloved daughter and son, and upon learning of their losses, they collapsed and burst into tears.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-09-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Went to pick the daughter up from her school on Friday afternoon. The gates opened, and the bikes came roaring out. The first twenty m/cs saw only two riders wearing crash hats.

It has to start at the schools. They, and the casual parents' attitudes, need to change. The first thing to do is stop any bike leaving unless rider and passenger have a hat on. Inconvenience the parents. First step.

As for age! Seen kids as young as 9/10 riding helmetless on the 2022 (Ban Dung to Phen road). .

+1 :thumbsup:

Also need to address behavior on the roads.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, quake said:

+1 :thumbsup:

Also need to address behavior on the roads.

A big danger also, at least around these parts, is holes in major roads. The 2022 from Ban Dung to Sum Sao, a distance of 35km, is disgraceful.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A big danger also, at least around these parts, is holes in major roads. The 2022 from Ban Dung to Sum Sao, a distance of 35km, is disgraceful.

Very much so.

The pot holes get the young guys at night time.

very dangerous, also day time kids are just not paying attention to them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A 3-year-old and 12-year-old child were killed in a motorbike-pickup truck collision today near Pattaya. Three more people were injured, all under 18 years old.

The devastating accident was reported to Huay Yai Police at 11:30 AM on Sunday, September 17th, on Plang Road 9, Khao Mai Kaeo sub-district. Banglamung district, Chonburi province. The police, The Pattaya News, and emergency responders rushed to the scene to aid several injured individuals.

At the scene, many villagers were found gathered to help the victims, all of whom were minors under the age of 18. Upon examination, it was found that a 12-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl had suffered serious injuries and passed away shortly after the authorities’ arrival.

The deceased, whose names were withheld due to their young ages, were reportedly run over by a pickup truck, after a motorbike they were riding driven by other minors collided with their peers who were driving alongside them.

Their parents had traveled to see their beloved daughter and son, and upon learning of their losses, they collapsed and burst into tears.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-09-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Seems like the kids were staying with grandparents?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Unnecessary and sad, yes. "Tragic" to me is an overused word that appears in almost every headline in relation to accidents like this.  In a way I've become dulled to these types of reports. When I first got here years ago I had a lot of empathy. Now.....after reading about incidents like this on almost a daily basis (never mind he ones that don't make the news) it provokes more of a judgemental "facepalm" reaction than anything else.

Not proud of it but it just is what it is.  I just focus on doing my best to prevent myself and/or my family from becoming victims of the local road lunacy.

PS. In reference to the PN article, kids are allowed to ride m/c from age 15 - does that mean they can/must also (technically speaking) have a license at 15?

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Regretting allowing them to drive motorbikes without helmets; regretting there are no police enforcing road safety rules.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Regretting allowing them to drive motorbikes without helmets; regretting there are no police enforcing road safety rules.

If they lived with grandparents, the grandparents would allow them to ride motorbikes, someone must have given them the keys?

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where was that stated?

Wasn't, just my take on the situation, kids are grandparent raised all over Thailand, also it said parents were visiting the kids, so IMHO was a fair assumption,  but not everyone's.