Thai government to tax all income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024

Just now, jesimps said:

Being an ex civil servant, my state and civil service pensions are taxed in UK at source. The government grabs it before the residue is paid to me. I assume this would make me exempt here, but who knows. It remains to be seen if I remain here or am forced to return to the dreaded land of my birth.

Most likely that you will be required to prove that in a worst case scenario.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Sure- they could tax all bank transfers (though that would be literal suicide for the economy), but then people will just bring in cash. Sure- they can tax currency exchange (yet another financial suicide), but then people will just use credit/debit cards to pay for everything. Sure- they can tax all card trans....no, no they can't. Easily? nah.

Lot of foreigners in Thailand have retirement extensions for which they are required to put money into Thai banks.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Fairly easy to just tax all money coming in from overseas.

Would destroy a a huge part of their real estate and retirement sectors, but it can be easily setup.

This would be my fear, because how else would they be able to handle this taxation of foreigners? The only way to make it work would be to tax all incoming money, then make you apply for a refund through filing as a tax resident here in Thailand. So for instance a Thai tax applied to our Wise transfers, where we would then have to wait until the end of the year to request any refunds that apply.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see the details before I get too excited at this. I got all excited about the "medical insurance" scam and it turned out it didn't apply to non-0 retirement or marriage types. I have my US SS payments made over here to Bangkok Bank, worst comes to worst I may have to re-arrange that and have it paid into a UK or US bank..

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

In the USA we are tax residents of the USA no matter where we live, thankfully there is a tax treaty between the USA and Thailand.

Yep, along with Eritrea the only two countries in the world's that do it.

For USA citizens though, the first 100k$ from foreign income is tax free.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we can expect more of this irrational taxation and fees both here in Thailand and our home countries.

Thailand is a very odd place. It certainly extends us no favors in trying to live here. Nevertheless, think of what would happen to the banking system if farang we're not banked.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/08/11/foreigners-have-nearly-600-billion-baht-banked/

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Wombo1 said:

Back story behind this decision

At the moment you are only taxed on foreign income that you remit to Thailand during the year that it is earnt.

So for example if I was to earn money in The Gambia in 2022, if I remit that within 2022 then it is taxed. But if I leave it outside the country and remit it in 2023 then it is not taxed.

Essentially they are closing a loop-hole that enabled people to not pay tax on foreign earnings. For example a Hi-So could setup a company overseas, pay themselves a big salary to an offshore account and then only remit that to Thailand 1 year later and pay no tax...

I agree with this interpretation, but we could still get caught in the net.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Yep, along with Eritrea the only two countries in the world's that do it.

For USA citizens though, the first 100k$ from foreign income is tax free.

A minor point.... the exemption you gave is for wage income.  Self employment income also has the same exemption but is NOT exempt from employment tax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wombo1 said:

Back story behind this decision

At the moment you are only taxed on foreign income that you remit to Thailand during the year that it is earnt.

So for example if I was to earn money in The Gambia in 2022, if I remit that within 2022 then it is taxed. But if I leave it outside the country and remit it in 2023 then it is not taxed.

Essentially they are closing a loop-hole that enabled people to not pay tax on foreign earnings. For example a Hi-So could setup a company overseas, pay themselves a big salary to an offshore account and then only remit that to Thailand 1 year later and pay no tax...

I agree with this interpretation, but we could still get caught in the net.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, No Forwarding Address said:

I would expect the hundreds of You Tubers, and even more digital nomads will have to provide income records,

That will be fun - their money will be seen as coming from a Trust Fund rather than travel blogging.