Thai government to tax all income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024

1 hour ago, webfact said:

or wealth that is located abroad…and has brought these assets into Thailand…

I know Thailand has tax agreements with many countries, so it would be easy to prove your pension was taxed at source.

But how about the above? How do you prove tax was paid on your wealth?

11 minutes ago, gearbox said:

"The program will begin January 1, 2024 and apply only to tax residents in Thailand meaning tourists and short term workers will be exempt. Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand. "

That seems relevant only to people who are tax residents here. I don't have Thai tax file number and don't submit at all tax returns.

If you are here more than 180 days you are eligible for tax and should file - historically the authorities have not enforced this and there was the loophole of not transferring in the year earned. With the linking of databases it might be that anyone who is here more than 180 days must file.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Involuntarily if they introduce a requirement of "All Thai taxes paid" as a way of making retirement extensions less "easy". They already link to the Revenue Department database for checking tax status with non B for work apparently.

of course they do, if you work here earning an income you will be taxed, same as any other country

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gearbox said:

"The program will begin January 1, 2024 and apply only to tax residents in Thailand meaning tourists and short term workers will be exempt. Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand. "

That seems relevant only to people who are tax residents here. I don't have Thai tax file number and don't submit at all tax returns.

correct

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gearbox said:

its going to depend how they apply this, Thai Elite Visa is a tourist visa that kets you stay for a year at a time, so you are a tourist but you could also be here over 180 days ..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

I strongly suggest people click on the link and read the full article, which clearly states:

There is then a link to show which those countries are. 61 countries listed, including US, UK, Australia and many European countries.

Is it possible that those in Thailand elite which is a tourist visa, do not pay taxes.  But those on a retirement or marriage visa will?

(For purposes of bringing in money for spending or even to put in the bank for income requirement)?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I pay US taxes every year, they do not look the other way, ever! So, you'll have to elaborate on your simplistic response.

If you're living in Thailand most of the time you're technically a tax resident in Thailand. You're conflating tax residency with US global taxation of US citizens. Being a tax resident of Thailand does not stop that. Only renouncing US citizenship stops that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

They are trying to dig up some cash but in this instance not from Retirees.

They just started another hunt on nominee companies in a bunch of provinces.

If they get serious about that then it really will affect the retirees big time!

5 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I pay US taxes every year, they do not look the other way, ever! So, you'll have to elaborate on your simplistic response.

you can give up your US nationality but must become a national of the country of resdence

• Confused 1