Thai government to tax all income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024

1 hour ago, Thaindrew said:

use an ATM card from your home country rather than transferring funds in that should negate any need to pay tax

Yes thats an easy solution that I used to do. I started using Wise to eliminate/reduce the transfer fees. My Canadian bank fees add up fast. I will revert to that method again if necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Yep, along with Eritrea the only two countries in the world's that do it.

For USA citizens though, the first 100k$ from foreign income is tax free.

US citizens etc. are subject to US taxation rules regardless of the country of our tax residency.

https://www.konradlegal.com/2023/01/31/thailand-tax-guide-for-us-expats/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, freeworld said:

Its about tax residence ie basically 180 days over living in Thailand and one is considered tax resident, nothing to do with a visa length or immigration.

It sounds as though some people claiming that they were transferring savings earned in a previous year will be out of luck if they have income in the current year.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Obviously some income streams like state pensions may be exempt but private pensions would seem to be fair game, even if they've already paid tax on the income in their home countries. 

Not when they signed bilateral agreements which state in which country the tax has to be paid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Eventually someone is going to write, "Does that mean farang's pension income too."

Short answer would probably be "No," at least for those countries with bilateral tax agreements with Thailand.  If you're paying income tax in your home countries, then Thailand has no claim to tax the income twice.

In short, it means actually yes, you will have to proof that your income was already taxed and that Thailand has a Double Taxation Treaty with your country.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Overseas debit cards usually charge between 7% to 10% FX fees/commissions  for thai baht transactions.

Almost as bad as any tax Thailand would likely charge for many people.

Revolut and N26 cards don't charge fees/commissions  for thai baht transactions.

But they are only for European citizens.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

From the article: Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand.

Only if the tax in that country is higher, else you pay the difference. If it's zero on lets say capital gains, then you pay full thai tax rate on that imo. 

DTAs are very specific

55 minutes ago, Wombo1 said:

Back story behind this decision

At the moment you are only taxed on foreign income that you remit to Thailand during the year that it is earnt.

So for example if I was to earn money in The Gambia in 2022, if I remit that within 2022 then it is taxed. But if I leave it outside the country and remit it in 2023 then it is not taxed.

Essentially they are closing a loop-hole that enabled people to not pay tax on foreign earnings. For example a Hi-So could setup a company overseas, pay themselves a big salary to an offshore account and then only remit that to Thailand 1 year later and pay no tax...

Just posted this exact strategy I use.  Use several bank accounts to season money so that I am using last year's money this year.

All "world income" in Thailand is taxable.

"World income" in Thailand means any money that has been transferred to a Thai bank account from an overseas non-private account from a company and/or government retirement payment bank account.

If your monthly transfers from overseas originates from a private bank account it won't be considered as "world income".

On the other hand : if your country did a double tax treaty with Thailand it's advisable to check if they didn't update this agreement. Most of them have been signed and activated in the 80's.

Unfortunately, in the latest recent updates of those bilateral tax agreements they added the possibility to be taxed at the country of origin (your home country) if the country of your residence didn't tax and/or you could not provide a tax form from your country of residence.

To receive a Thai "no-income-Tax" clearance document is very difficult, read impossible today. Sometimes a clearance document is required by your home country tax administration and excludes any further discussions in the future. 

Edited by Thorgal
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Further to this, those with assets in countries with a Double Tax Agreement with Thailand whose assets have already been taxed will be exempt. For a list of countries with a DTA with Thailand. -> https://rd.go.th/english/766.html

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1703621814440911065

That's confusing. The treaty with the US doesn't say that. It allows a credit for tax paid to Thailand.

In some US treaties with other countries it's possible to consider US-sourced income as foreign income to the extent that one doesn't have income in the other country but tax is imposed anyway. In that way the credit calculation will probably allow full credit for tax imposed by that other country.

Assuming that the Thai-US treaty in its murky language allows this, tax imposed on funds brought into Thailand would not be a problem (except for finding help to fill out the extra IRS form involved).

• Confused 1

I presume this will commence from the new financial years 01/01/24 at least it gives us time to get income over before then that will keep me going for a years once they realise it’s a non starter and do a UTurn . My pensions are taxed at source in the U.K. if I was taxed over here it would be less that could be a good thing  only time will tell on the other hand they might start losing the many nomads working in Thailands who will just up sticks and move on to a neighbouring country 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

so who is this targeted at? People who are working in Thailand are already paying taxes and everyone else who brings their foreign earned money here was already taxed in their home country so who does that leave? maybe people living on investing portfolios but I think even those are taxed in many countries.

It affects retirees who are tax residents in Thailand so as not to pay income taxes in their country.

57 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Yep, along with Eritrea the only two countries in the world's that do it.

For USA citizens though, the first 100k$ from foreign income is tax free.

Actually not exactly accurate.  The first $112,000 of 2022 WORK income out of the US that fits in a 12 month window out of the country that can span more than one calendar year where your not in the US more than 330 days can be excluded.  Enrolled Agent with the IRS ????

• Like 2

Starts on jan 1st 2024 . So on tax day 2024 , they are going to look at your income of 2023 ?
Or what you brought in the country in tax year 2023. 
So bringing in more money before 31 dec 2023 , could bite you in the behind ?

What about living from an inheritance ? 
And the cash sniffer dogs at the airport , because I will bring in cash .
One poster  showed that from 150k to 300k = 5% . Worst case for me 15.000 tax a year .
I wouldn't leave for that . 
If they had gone through with the mandatory health insurence , which would cost 40k and up , then I'm out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

ax treaties exempt retirement income 

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are 

as far as I know, retirement income is taxed in Thailand and in the US. The only difference is the tax rate and the progressivity. Some other countries such as Australia does not tax the over 60 retirement tax. So  it remains to see if since they pay zero tax on that income and Thailand taxes retirement if they will pay the full tax here. 

Some countries to encourage retirement there,  develop a reduced tax for expats. I think in Greece where I looked into retiring is 7%, Perhaps Thailand will develop such tax system.  

Don't panic yet let's see how this thing develop . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I believe this applies to Thai nationals only, foreigner nationals are already taxed in their home country 

There are foreigners working here, paying income tax here and sometimes bringing some oversea money to fill the gap ... so Yes I am eagerly waiting to know more ???? . So not only Thai nationals.

Phil

• Thumbs Up 1