We miss you, Uncle Tu : Thanakorn

snoop1130

54 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

This may sound crazy but I have to wonder if the country is any better off with this mickey mouse club they have now or when he was in power.

Time will tell but at least he was ot openly spending so much money on such stupidity.

At least he didn't threaten to tax our overseas savings and pensions.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

This may sound crazy but I have to wonder if the country is any better off with this mickey mouse club they have now or when he was in power.

Time will tell but at least he was ot openly spending so much money on such stupidity.

Reducing a few fuel prices and electricity cost is a step or two towards popularity 

23 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The talent pool is pretty shallow for competent people here in our beloved Thailand.

When you do find one, they often get led astray by the culture of corruption that is so prevalent. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Reducing a few fuel prices and electricity cost is a step or two towards popularity 

The thing that Thais ddo not realize is that lowering the Fuel, electric, BTS costs is nice sounding but really people forget that someone has to pay the difference.  

PTT still has to pay the market price. so it works like this     : lower price at pump + more income tax = fuel price

lower electric  price people pay + tax dollars or less maintenance of the system

BTS  the red line is an easy drop because the line is brand new, BUT it is still going to cost 80 million baht loss a year.  Who is going to pay that simple taxpayers that don't use the system as well as those that do?

People are still going to pay the same price if not more, just in a different way.

At least Uncle Tu kept the deficit lower.

Imagine if Srettha instead of giving everyone 10 k he took that money and added it to people who are retired and need the money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The thing that Thais ddo not realize is that lowering the Fuel, electric, BTS costs is nice sounding but really people forget that someone has to pay the difference.  

PTT still has to pay the market price. so it works like this     : lower price at pump + more income tax = fuel price

lower electric  price people pay + tax dollars or less maintenance of the system

BTS  the red line is an easy drop because the line is brand new, BUT it is still going to cost 80 million baht loss a year.  Who is going to pay that simple taxpayers that don't use the system as well as those that do?

People are still going to pay the same price if not more, just in a different way.

At least Uncle Tu kept the deficit lower.

Imagine if Srettha instead of giving everyone 10 k he took that money and added it to people who are retired and need the money.

Nonsense.

Subsidies everyday necessities and tax the excesses.

Tax commercial plots and underdeveloped land to pay for the subsidies i.e. redistribute the highly concentrated wealth downwards.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The talent pool is pretty shallow for competent people here in our beloved Thailand.

When you do find one, they often get led astray by the culture of corruption that is so prevalent. 

On the contrary, the talent pool is far from being shallow or limited. Plenty of qualified and competent folks afield, but the systems are purposely designed to align with the oligarchical elite and prevent anything "different" to be present - a is the case everywhere. 

Ever notice that it's the same circle [the world over] holding reigns of power cycle in and cycle out? 

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

You wouldn't happen to be of retirement age would you?

????????????

Yeah but I am not Thai.  Part of the reason I am living here is my pension goes farther than it would in Canada.

The pension system here is stil in the 1970's when the families were more nuclear.  The oldest son and wife worked, and his mother and father stayed with them and looked after the family.  Now, with the cost of living and expenses that no longer is as feasible.  

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Nonsense.

Subsidies everyday necessities and tax the excesses.

Tax commercial plots and underdeveloped land to pay for the subsidies i.e. redistribute the highly concentrated wealth downwards.

I know you have been in the country long enough that even you do not believe what you wrote could ever happen under the present Thai system or for that matter, I think, under an MFP government.  Any attempt at that would immediately force a coup paid for by the elites that own all the property you are talking about.

But even then you are stil agreeing with me because people that do not use the BTS are going to have to pay more taxes.  Remember none of the smart owners own any of the land it is owned by a company which may pay a little more but will write it off.  The people that screwed in the deal of property assessment are the middle class here just as in most Western societies.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The original BTS is still billions of Baht in debt. 

and that is not the new part.  The interesting thing is when they sold the idea of the BTS and new lines it was with the promise that they would recoup the casts through ridership and advertising.

• Love It 1