Hit-and-Run Tragedy: Two Cyclists Dead, Four Injured in Early Morning Incident

webfact

16 minutes ago, James105 said:

I used to cycle 5 miles to work and back every single day in the chaos of London roads and traffic, which feels infinitely safer than even considering riding a bicycle on Thai roads.   There just doesn't seem to be much respect for life here on the roads as drink driving is normalised and there is not much consequence for doing so.  

This video is worth sharing again. If you haven't seen it notice the trunk has no intent of slowing down. That's because there are no rules of the road so people default to law of the jungle aka "me first".

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Two cyclists tragically lost their lives, and others sustained injuries when a speeding pickup truck crashed into a group of cyclists in a hit-and-run incident.

It should be considered also in any investigation that they were murdered by a deliberate act (manslaughter), not just "losing" their lives. 

Edited by Srikcir
Typos

Dawn and dusk is the most dangerous time. A time when judging distances is harder to judge. I was taught in the army, when rifle shooting, 'Light's up, sights up. -Light's down, sights down. Did all of the cyclists have effective rear lights? I rode a bike here up till I was seventy five. Never in the dark. It was dangerous enough in daylight. R.I.P. and condolences to the relatives.

Edited by Gandtee
added words

Hit and running is a national sport. 

I can understand not wanting to stop, out of fear you will be attacked or beaten, but if you don't turn yourself in immediately afterwards i.e. drive directly to the nearest Police station then you are hiding something or trying to evade capture and this should incur a long jail sentence.

• Thumbs Up 1

So difficult to decide.

Health or death?

My doctor asks if I exercise and I say that I cycle at weekends. She asks isn't that dangerous, I tell her that the Railway Park has a lot of accidents but no deaths. 

Why would anyone cycle on a main road? 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The unidentified driver, who fled the scene amidst the pre-dawn darkness, is yet to be apprehended, raising questions about whether the driver was intoxicated or asleep at the wheel

or using a phone or speeding or any combination

anyone riding a bicycle on these lawless thai roads need their head looked at

hope they catch the scum that did this and lock him up for a very long time

RIP very sad

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

what a tragedy, mu heart goes out to the lady in the picture crying, and to the family and friends of the victims.

Just this morning I was telling my wife that as soon as it cools down a bit we should start going riding again, and she shai that she did not want to because she thought it was too dangerous, and that we should buy a stationary bike. 

Your wife is right.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Many accidents can be avoided if you just pay more attention and consider your actions more.

how naive, consider their actions more ?, people who break the law will continue to do it while they can get away with it, it is why we have laws and the police to enforce them, if there are no polce then you may as well have no laws, equally if you have police and they are not enforcing the law - same result, this country considers everything "after the fact" there is no attempt at prevention 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Let's hope that there is a civic minded person out there who knows of an Isuzu pick up that has incurred recent frontal damage and shops the owner to the police.

The driver already gave himself up at the police, he is a high military !!

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, smedly said:

or using a phone or speeding or any combination

anyone riding a bicycle on these lawless thai roads need their head looked at

hope they catch the scum that did this and lock him up for a very long time

RIP very sad

The driver already gave himself up at the police, he is a high military !! (Major)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Hit and running is a national sport. 

I can understand not wanting to stop, out of fear you will be attacked or beaten, but if you don't turn yourself in immediately afterwards i.e. drive directly to the nearest Police station then you are hiding something or trying to evade capture and this should incur a long jail sentence.

I recall reading many years ago that Thai law allows for leaving the scene, conceding that vigilante justice is quite common.  As I recall, they're required to turn themselves in within a specified time (or distance). 

Does anyone know the current law around leaving the scene?  (No guessing, no Thai bashing, and no moralizing, please)

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Irish star said:

You have to have a death wish to ride in Thailand 

nope...just a desire to go on with my life and not live in fear...

i dont control the world...just trying to live in it.......I ride daily..in old city...during the day as i surely would not ride alone a open road with cars-trucks flying by esp in the DARK at early morning

maybe those that no longer ride fear death....something they have zero control over..but i do try to lessen my odds..if it even matters..

• Thumbs Up 1

From Daily News

spacer.png

The driver of the pickup truck Col. Chatpetch (last name reserved), aged 50 years, surrendered to authorities at Chalermprakiat Police Station.

He was tested for alcohol and a reading of 0.04% - under the limit of 0.05%

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

When I bike I always have the hair on my neck stand up as cars approach (figuratively).  Trust me - I'm extremely aware of two things:  1) Thais lack driving skills and 2) a bicyclist is no safer than a dog who dares to wander onto the road.

Then - get out and drive at Zero-Dark Thirty on a Thai road?  Most bicyclists who drive in the dark, even if they have their little lights and little flashing blinker, simply are immensely difficult to see. 

:angry: "You're an anti-bike car lovering cyclist-hater.  Arrgghh."

Not at all.  A bicycle was my ONLY transportation in University (I was dirt poor), and I'd routinely put 30 miles a day on the bike, much of that at night on US roads.  Driving on US roads at night was dangerous.  Imho, driving in the dark in Thailand is deadly.  Case in point - right here. 

Me too, however I had accommodation more than 5 miles from Uni, which I had been resident in more than one year before I began my degree course, so my grant was increased by £50 per term for 3 years in the 1980's when university education was free and you got a cost of living grant. I bought 2 brand new high quality racing bikes over that period just on the basis of £150 per year

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

From Daily News

spacer.png

The driver of the pickup truck Col. Chatpetch (last name reserved), aged 50 years, surrendered to authorities at Chalermprakiat Police Station.

He was tested for alcohol and a reading of 0.04% - under the limit of 0.05%

Waited until he sobered up and turned himself in.

Back as a cockroach in the next life buddy!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, James105 said:

1. You are victim blaming here.

2. The second photo shows they were on a very straight road.  

3. It's (normally) safer to ride in a group as they would be a lot more visible than a solo rider. 

4. If someone is incapable of seeing 6 cyclists in a group on a road they are either too drunk or too blind to be driving so it's not the cyclists that should not have been using the road.   

Naaa come off it.  I'm not making any excuses for the driver but Thailand's roads can be extremely dark - I've lost count of the times I've almost cleaned a motorbike up - the usual no lights, not even a reflector variety. Its just a matter of time.  There's also been quite a lot of early morning mist around recently.

We have quite a lot of early morning cyclists around Khao Yai but I've never come across one in the dark........yet.

I wouldn't dream of riding a push bike in Thailand during the day, let alone at night.