Detering Cockroaches

Maybole

A few small roaches have appeared in the kitchen. Wife and Sister-in-law being Buddhist refuse to let me kill them, they must be caught and dumped outside.

I have tried to deter them by washing floors and the like with dilute Dettol, then vinegar and finally bleach. All have failed.

Recommend a non-lethal chemical which will keep them away.

• Haha 2

my wife selotaped one to the floor once so as not to kill it. She makes me laugh!!

we mixed sugar with baking powder - 50/50 mix and left little piles of it around. that kept the numbers down but they always come back.

• Haha 2

Common ingredients include boric acid, diatomaceous earth, and various essential oils like peppermint, citrus, or eucalyptus. Cockroaches are deterred by these scents or substances, leading them to avoid treated areas.  Google is your friend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Tell her you are not killing them but sending them to their next life where they have a chance to become human.

If a mosquito lands on her does she just let it suck her blood or does she kill it?

They do have some strange ideas. My friend had a dog that was very sick and needed to be euthanised. Th vet would not do it. He had to buy the "dose" and took dog to vet. Vet inserted needle but my friend had to do the actual injection.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

In one of my houses they came up through the shower drain.  I am notorious for using lots of talcum powder.  I noticed if I left some powder in the floor corners the bugs would be on their backs in the morning.  Non toxic and gets into their life aperatus and kills them quick.  No Buddhist can fault you for wanting to stay dry.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

They do have some strange ideas. My friend had a dog that was very sick and needed to be euthanised. Th vet would not do it. He had to buy the "dose" and took dog to vet. Vet inserted needle but my friend had to do the actual injection.

Buddhists love suffering unfortunately 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So simple,

Dont tell the wife and just get that white plastic bottled powder stuff with the tapered top from your local 20 bhat shop. Squirt it under the fridge, in the cupboards and around.  

Before you know it you'll watching the little buggers doing the backstroke in the morning while your enjoying your coffee.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Cockroaches hate Lavender oil. Its the best roach killer I've ever used ... mixed in a sprat bottle and direct on a roach it kills it instantly (changed the Ph in their bodies apparently - no time to crawl away and lay a batch of eggs which happens with all other synthetic pesticides). 

If you mix some oil into wash-bucket mix this will deter them.

They also hate any citrus based cleaners so the more you wipe surfaces, and add to the floor mop mix too it will help.

In cupboards you can use borax, or mothballs. They suffocate from the heavier than air fumes of the naphthalene.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Has anyone any idea that these are. I have a spare room which is empty and these have appeared in their thousands. I swept them up and threw them out but 2 days later thousands more appeared so after cleaning them out is sprayed the entire room with insect killer but two days later they are back again.

20240106_102330.jpg

Edited by Tanlic

On 1/6/2024 at 10:33 AM, Tanlic said:

Has anyone any idea that these are. I have a spare room which is empty and these have appeared in their thousands. I swept them up and threw them out but 2 days later thousands more appeared so after cleaning them out is sprayed the entire room with insect killer but two days later they are back again.

20240106_102330.jpg

They look like bugs

• Haha 1

I have made food for them based on a recipe found in youtube. Include boric acid, oil/fat and flour. They seem to like it a lot but go belly up after eating. Works. 

Many different tips with boric acid in YouTube 

• Agree 1

I have made food for them based on a recipe found in youtube. Include boric acid, oil/fat and flour. They seem to like it a lot but go belly up after eating. Works. 

Many different tips with boric acid in YouTube