Being a loner in retirement

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking at lots of young people today who sit on the same table, and everybody has their phone in front of their face, somehow that doesn't seem healthy

so which is better --phone addiction or being at peace with ones self......ie inner peace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

He would vlog saying he was happy by himself blah blah , didn't need company not even a dog blah blah,and went into Phuket once a month etc.

Sorry but the guy will just end up a bad smell noticed by the neighbours. Happens all the time here. Growing up as an only child, I love my own company - though married quite happy now with a young daughter I would be totally ok with being on my own if it went bits up. However, I also recognise that having a partner to clean my bottom and wipe my dribble when I reach VERY old age is quite necessary ! I believe there are two stages in old age - retirement that you enjoy - say 50-80, and then retirement when you need that extra help in life - and if you do not plan for that later stage - you really do become a bad aroma ! I am not saying there are not healthy 80+ people, their old age just hits later

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

lived by himself in this secluded area

Why don't you go down to soi Buakhao 7am each morning, talk to some of the foreigners drinking beer in the bars, don't worry if you miss their early morning drink as they head back to their room drunk lunchtime but they'll be there again late afternoon, sat in the same spot getting drunk for a second time.

Poor guys, look lonely, killing themselves, it's very sad. ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Alone: not good

Alone and lots of "friends" on the internet: Maybe worse.

People communicated for millions of years face to face. That's what we are used to and what we "understand".

Looking at lots of young people today who sit on the same table, and everybody has their phone in front of their face, somehow that doesn't seem healthy. 

To be fair, there are a fair amount of ‘Boomers’ here who struggle with any kind of communication. Smartphone cannot be blamed for that. 
The good thing about forums such as these is that it brings some of these people out into the open, for better or for worse. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Since divorcing my 3rd wife (for spending my hard-earned $ on a nice car for herself, rather than building material for our small hotel project that she had previously agreed), I have lived alone and could never contemplate shacking up with anyone in the future. No woman would willingly shack up with an old guy unless she was after something and I doubt that it's love.

But living alone doesn't make you lonely.  I tend to agree that living alone and without any social interaction, one could become somewhat eccentric.  Luckily for me, my parents were both eccentrics and I had good schooling in doing crazy things from my mad Thai ex-wife No. 2...

Social interaction is healthy and I obtain mine (currently) by attending Lao language lessons every weekday morning, then over to a local school to help the students practice/learn English.  My online teaching after lunch and in the evening is not 'in-person' interaction, but still counts for social interaction.

Finally, I obtain stressful interaction every evening by doing my shortwave ham radio hobby, where the ability to communicate with like-minded people across the globe in a relaxed manner is hampered by the inability of my DIY radio antennas to launch my puny radio signal into the ether! This hobby often frustrates me ????

Group Lao lessons in a school? 

Could you give more details pls.

1 hour ago, sidjameson said:

Group Lao lessons in a school? 

Could you give more details pls.

No, I have private Lao language lessons every weekday morning, (because I live in north Laos). After that I go and teach English to a class of students at the local school.