Srettha says Thai air force ready to evacuate Thais in Israel

webfact

What about the hostages? I understand a number of Thai and Filipinos were seized.

The Philippines are no doubt regarded by their noble jihadhist captors as closely linked to America, and therefore probably, tragically, little hope for them. The Thais?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

With what? A slack handful ( nominaly 12 but 10 are quoted as undergoing/ awaiting refurbishment) of elderly C130H, they don't have the range without staging through India and the Gulf states, and are unlikely to be allowed to overfly Iran or Syria.

An airlift with chartered civilian (Thai International) airliners is more probable, although similar overflight restrictions probably apply. Of course Thai International may be reluctant to divert aircraft from more lucrative activities to take part. In previous times Russian owned aircraft were often available for short notice charter for this sort of thing, not really an option any more.

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

How does the Thai Air Force plan on flying into a war zone where the sky is full of rockets? 

There were reports they were trying to coordinate with Israel regarding this. As far as I'm aware, Israel's airspace is not closed at the moment (was briefly so yesterday). Many airlines cancelled flights though.

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

What about the hostages? I understand a number of Thai and Filipinos were seized.

The Philippines are no doubt regarded by their noble jihadhist captors as closely linked to America, and therefore probably, tragically, little hope for them. The Thais?

If the Hamas got any sense, they'll release (maybe not immediately) hostages from non-relevant countries such as Thailand and the Philippines. Israeli and Western hostages are a different story.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Good, get it done, and ban any future people from going to conflict zones, without signing a waiver, stating 'you're on your own', if that stupid.

I suspect that even with such a waiver (which might already be in place), at the time of crisis there will be public pressure to bring them home anyway.

5 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

With what? A slack handful ( nominaly 12 but 10 are quoted as undergoing/ awaiting refurbishment) of elderly C130H, they don't have the range without staging through India and the Gulf states, and are unlikely to be allowed to overfly Iran or Syria.

An airlift with chartered civilian (Thai International) airliners is more probable, although similar overflight restrictions probably apply. Of course Thai International may be reluctant to divert aircraft from more lucrative activities to take part. In previous times Russian owned aircraft were often available for short notice charter for this sort of thing, not really an option any more.

Earlier reports indeed mentioned the C-130's. Seems more reasonable to use commercial airliners, though. They'd use the same air route Israeli airlines do (a bit longer) or Emirates and such. There's no issue flying over Iran.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

How does the Thai Air Force plan on flying into a war zone where the sky is full of rockets? 

I don't know, but I read yesterday that Poland also said they sending military transport to pull their people out.