You have less than 10 years?

Mike , I guess the question to you your 75 , would you still get the surgery at say 85 ?

And that's not a strange question because time after time even my own mum & dad stopped cancer treatment in their 80's when the doctor told them it will only prolong your life for weeks or months  not cure it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Mike , I guess the question to you your 75 , would you still get the surgery at say 85 ?

And that's not a strange question because time after time even my own mum & dad stopped cancer treatment in their 80's when the doctor told them it will only prolong your life for weeks or months  not cure it 

Good question. At 85, definitely not, I'm even debating the merits of having it at age 75 but I don't have all the data yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

People who have made it to their 60's want to know they will be around for many more years.

But we know average life expectancy right? Why after all those years of life experience is lying to yourself a good idea? I respect people who are honest about their life. My uncle says he's 100% ready to go any day (early 70s now) but my Mom is in denial about dying any time soon (early 70s too!). I respect my uncle more for being honest.

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

My parents are Boomers and I think this is a generational thing. They're deeply invested in the idea of youth and staying young. Granted they're in great shape for early 70s but it goes downhill fast from there. I'm keep telling them  I'm planning for their deaths in the next 10 years but they completely disregard that.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of heart failure like my dad and his dad did, I don't expect to live longer than 70. I don't see the problem of accepting this and trying to make the best of the time you have.

You Sir are a realist ????????

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

But we know average life expectancy right? Why after all those years of life experience is lying to yourself a good idea? I respect people who are honest about their life. My uncle says he's 100% ready to go any day (early 70s now) but my Mom is in denial about dying any time soon (early 70s too!). I respect my uncle more for being honest.

It isn't lying to have hope to live longer, especially if you're healthy and have all your faculties. No one is in denial that we all die. As believers in God, we are hoping to go to a place without pain, but we still want to enjoy what the earth can give us. Some of us have reasons to live as long as we can, so we take care of ourselves, knowing there is no guarantees that doing everything will ensure a longer life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do you feel you are the all knowing of longevity, who can tell how many years they have left? Maybe if you say it to the wrong person you could have a few days only, have you considered that as a possibility 

Edited by Photoguy21
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Did it ever occur to you that they are shocked at your rudeness? Everyone knows they will die. Whether they choose to think about it or not should be their choice and not have some jerk thrust it on to their immediate consciousness.

Can you be that inconsiderate? And nasty...

You must be a lot of fun in the cancer ward... 

Is this some sort of epiphany that you had and now you feel the need to share it w/everyone... ?

People misinterpret anything. So what do you do just not say anything? ????????‍♂️

Some people are experts at using the exact words needed to not offend, others are not, even though they are saying the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Why the crusade? It doesn't matter does it, it is as it is. It is amusing to listen to 80 year old's making plans for the future or worrying what the stock market will be like next year but then they have a positive outlook on life and are happy with that. I am 75 and often tell my partner and son to consider what they will do when I am dead but they tell me I will live to be a 100. I laugh and tell them that is impossible, my 16 year old son gets it but considers I will live long enough to complete his higher education, I tell him to consider the more likely alternative. We are just causal events, some whistling in the dark, let them whistle for gods sake.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It isn't lying to have hope to live longer, especially if you're healthy and have all your faculties. No one is in denial that we all die. As believers in God, we are hoping to go to a place without pain, but we still want to enjoy what the earth can give us. Some of us have reasons to live as long as we can, so we take care of ourselves, knowing there is no guarantees that doing everything will ensure a longer life.

sure, but what I mean here is that they are extremely dismissive of dying before their perceived best case scenario based on their current health etc... 

I visit my Mom and step dad every year for about 2 months and it's important for my own planning to know they won't be around at some point in the next 10 years, which is why I bring it up.  I would have spent more time with my Dad if i knew he would be dead at 68 but I was assured that's "too young to die". Yeah right.

8 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

Memento Mori is an ancient phrase that seems relevant.  Can google it for more details.

We can agree that death is guaranteed. 

But while I am feeling in good health and lively at 60++, I have some curiosity about what will be the cause of my death.   It will seem strange to one day start feeling an ilness, pain, that worsens and get diagnosed as terminal xyz disease.   Oh - so that is the disease I will die from, wow !  Curioisity satisfied. 555.

Your post is so true , we don't know what we will die of.

But it would be heart attack ,cancer , isn't that the only 2 things ,I guess Stroke or is that the same as heart attack !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

sure, but what I mean here is that they are extremely dismissive of dying before their perceived best case scenario based on their current health etc... 

I visit my Mom and step dad every year for about 2 months and it's important for my own planning to know they won't be around at some point in the next 10 years, which is why I bring it up.  I would have spent more time with my Dad if i knew he would be dead at 68 but I was assured that's "too young to die". Yeah right.

Yes ! Bring it up everytime you visit ????

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

As believers in God, we are hoping to go to a place without pain, but we still want to enjoy what the earth can give us

What has God got to do with anything? Except as a crutch for people who need an imaginary friend, I suppose. Anyone, even those without that crutch, hope to pass on without pain. Nothing to do with believing in God.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What has God got to do with anything? Except as a crutch for people who need an imaginary friend, I suppose. Anyone, even those without that crutch, hope to pass on without pain. Nothing to do with believing in God.

God is hope for those living. Living on earth is usually pain, loss, death. We as believers hope for a place to go to without all that pain. It's a lot better also than believing that all of the universe just happened to be, which is impossible to anyone with any sense. There are those that are naive and believe others who have theories. We also have a theory. It's called faith. And seeing all that has been created, not made from nothing.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

One thing is I'm a realist.

And one thing I enjoy in my workplace which is a very large hospital is to tell older workmates usually in their 70's that they have less than 10 years left in probality.

Just the look on their faces the shock tells me they never thought of it.

Those of you now who are say 73/74 surely you must know !

I'm always bemused when I see their face looking like shock ,like they didn't know they would be going ????

I remember telling a old workmate a few years back ,77yo and still a cleaner ,wife was a Filipino , working all hours , he ended up reporting me for harassment just for letting him know about his lifespan and how he was wasting his 5 years left 

I had another cleaner approach me in the staff mealroom and say you me "George you really are a low B**"*"d" !!

But I was just giving realist facts .

Does it make you a different person ,your plans ,doing more before the 10 years is up ??

Do you actually realise your not going up be here in 10 years or are you a denier ???

My late father was the same ,he used to get angry when I told him 

You really are painful 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

God is hope for those living. Living on earth is usually pain, loss, death. We as believers hope for a place to go to without all that pain. It's a lot better also than believing that all of the universe just happened to be, which is impossible to anyone with any sense. There are those that are naive and believe others who have theories. We also have a theory. It's called faith. And seeing al that has been created, not made from nothing.

I think and don't quote me on it,but I think religious believing people have longer lives .

I remember Herbert Armstrong I used to love him when I was a kid ,I think he was like 95 when he died 

• Haha 1