Srettha invites Putin to visit Thailand

webfact

13 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has invited Russian President Vladimir Putin to visit Thailand to strengthen the two countries’ ties.

Srettha said he extended the invitation to the Russian president during their meeting in Beijing on Tuesday. It was the first meeting between the two leaders who are in China to attend an international forum on the Belt and Road initiative.

“I asked Russia to promote mutual trade in agricultural commodities and increase investments in Thailand. I also invited President Putin to visit Thailand to strengthen our relations,” Srettha said in a post on X social media platform.

Srettha also noted that more than one million Russians have visited Thailand this year and his Cabinet recently approved an extension of the period of visa-free stay for Russian tourists from 30 days to 90 days.

Source: Thai PBS 2023-10-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Putin won't accept the invite. He's on a "most wanted list", and for that matter it would be a security nightmare for the GRU..  Foreign policy wise it's like lighting a stick of dynamite and seeing how long one can hold it before it blows up in your face. imo this is a dangerous move on Thailand's part. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, timendres said:

Srettha should contact Putin's tailor.

Precisely not. Because any head of state who is overdressed in top class luxury 150 yarn silk wool, italian cut, can send the wrong message to his people who are not all minting money. The PM is wise to dress as he does, not to flashy but still in formal attire. Get the point my dear fellow poster ?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ajs73 said:

Putin won't accept the invite. He's on a "most wanted list", and for that matter it would be a security nightmare for the GRU..  Foreign policy wise it's like lighting a stick of dynamite and seeing how long one can hold it before it blows up in your face. imo this is a dangerous move on Thailand's part. 

I doubt that a bunch of bearded, Oakley sun glassed,  PLO scarf clad, US Navy Seals,  would be allowed anywhere in Thailand or near the dignitaries,  if Putin responds to the courtesy call.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

The future of economic prosperity  is anywhere but no longer with the US or Europe. A smart businessman like the actuel Thai PM has perfectly understood that.

I think it's a lot more nuanced than you suspect - what trade will Thailand do with Russia and at what expense to their international standing - if they continue on this path, they might incur sanctions from th West and lose a lot of western tourists who still make up a sizeable portion of the tourist economy. One may also find that Russiam=n tourist are no =t as reliable as they'd hoped. But it isn't just tourism, it's trade - Thailand relies heavily on international exports of electronics, machinery, and auto industry markets in the west

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sigmund said:

I doubt that a bunch of bearded, Oakley sun glassed,  PLO scarf clad, US Navy Seals,  would be allowed anywhere in Thailand or near the dignitaries,  if Putin responds to the courtesy call.

That's not how these things go down... But yeah, I doubt that too.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ajs73 said:

Presumably Putin remembers what happened with Victor Bout.

21 hours ago, Trippy said:

Wow, that's really stabbing the US and all Euro nations in the back.

Maybe Thailand should start buying oil from Iran too. Might save a few baht.

Thailand isn't a client state of America, so can chart whatever course it chooses. American power is waning fast, so it's a shrewd move for Thailand to be friends with places like Russia and China in addition to the US and EU. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

What a absolute disgrace. I hope the West have noticed what this will do to relations with Thailand ansd someone should have a word in the thai PMs ear or is he that stupid that he does not know Putin is on a watch list for a arrest warrent. Monkey say Monkey do. What next will the Hamas leader be sunning himself of Patong beach.

I'm guessing the unseen / behind what the public sees of the US diplomatic service will be quickly telling the Thai diplomatic folks that any allignment to putin/russia will have severe conseqences for LOS. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Yes. The west is superior. Freedom of speech, true democracies, independent and non corrupt judiciary, checks and balances of all state powers including the media, free press, advanced healt care and education (the best in the world, and free), the world's best welfare systems, leading the world in aid for less fortunate countries, equal rights for all (no matter religion, nationality, sex or wealth) Shall I go on RavidP?

Yes, of course you can go on and on, I've no objections at all!

I agree 100% of what you say - but that's only the tip of the iceberg!

Unfortunately, you seem to have missed some important facts.

Just asking...

• There are so many homeless people around, but some Governments keep spending Trillions of $$$$$ on military expenditure.
  • Why are so many Westerners relocating to other underdeveloped countries?
  • Remember the WMD saga?
  • Some countries were completely destroyed - who was responsible?

The above is only a couple of incidents, and I am sure you know better than me.

So for the question... "Does it mean that the entire world should agree 100% with the West and reject ALL that the West has rejected?" answering Yes is humorous IMHO. 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, VBer said:

There is no draft at Russia now. Draft was announced at September 2022  and this created a load of negative consequences, so the government shut it after a month or so. 

So instead the Russian government to refill its depleted Russian army is recruiting  (sometimes deceptively) Central Asian migrants in Russia, Serbs, Cubans, minority Russian citizens in Siberia, imprisoned criminals, sick and handicapped, and even attempting to cashier Ukrainian POW's into Russia's military. Putin also pays mercenaries to fight Ukraine. Who needs a draft?

Interestingly, Russia's most militant allies China and North Korea haven't sent any of their armies to fight for Russia in Ukraine. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, VBer said:

There is no draft at Russia now. Draft was announced at September 2022  and this created a load of negative consequences, so the government shut it after a month or so. 

Update: April 14, 2023

"Putin signs a tough new military draft law, banning conscripts from fleeing Russia"  https://www.npr.org

(my bold emphasis)

Update Sept. 29, 2023

"In July Russia's lower house of parliament voted to raise the maximum age at which men can be conscripted to 30 from 27," effective Jan. 1 2024.

https://www.reuters.com

Happy New Year Russians. Free fireworks on the Ukraine battlefield!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

So instead the Russian government to refill its depleted Russian army is recruiting  (sometimes deceptively) Central Asian migrants in Russia, Serbs, Cubans, minority Russian citizens in Siberia, imprisoned criminals, sick and handicapped, and even attempting to cashier Ukrainian POW's into Russia's military. Putin also pays mercenaries to fight Ukraine. Who needs a draft?

Interestingly, Russia's most militant allies China and North Korea haven't sent any of their armies to fight for Russia in Ukraine. 

If Russia pays for recrutes the thai's will be there !!!! LOL

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Yes, of course you can go on and on, I've no objections at all!

I agree 100% of what you say - but that's only the tip of the iceberg!

Unfortunately, you seem to have missed some important facts.

Just asking...

• There are so many homeless people around, but some Governments keep spending Trillions of $$$$$ on military expenditure.
  • Why are so many Westerners relocating to other underdeveloped countries?
  • Remember the WMD saga?
  • Some countries were completely destroyed - who was responsible?

The above is only a couple of incidents, and I am sure you know better than me.

So for the question... "Does it mean that the entire world should agree 100% with the West and reject ALL that the West has rejected?" answering Yes is humorous IMHO. 

Agreed. As to why westerners are relocating? Well, this westerner, after a working middle class lifetime of work cannot afford retirement costs in my own country. As you point out much to be corrected in many western “democracies”. Then again, on balance with the current choices? Russia nor the PRC offer a society model I would want to live in … I am sure we agree on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Agreed. As to why westerners are relocating? Well, this westerner, after a working middle class lifetime of work cannot afford retirement costs in my own country. As you point out much to be corrected in many western “democracies”. Then again, on balance with the current choices? Russia nor the PRC offer a society model I would want to live in … I am sure we agree on this.

Yes, of course.

12 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

If Thaksin hates Westerners why did he buy Manchester City ?

I discussed this yesterday on another topic. These Thai elite buy homes, property, and sports teams in the West. Yet their alliances are with China and Russia. On a similar note, look at all the land that state owned Chinese companies purchase in the United States. Do you think they do it because they love America?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

The future of economic prosperity  is anywhere but no longer with the US or Europe. A smart businessman like the actuel Thai PM has perfectly understood that.

PTI but such obvious BS needs calling out.

There’ll be a more equal playing field but in the main, the US, Europe and other Western aligned nations will still rule supreme. China is going to go through an almighty demographic crisis, Russia is already going through one that’s set to get worse. That’s not to forget that China already has its designs for Russia and wants its eastern territories, with its abundant natural resources, back. They will strike at a time when it makes the most sense, which will be when Russia has a power vacuum through the natural (or unnatural) demise of Putin. 

The only current and prospective BRICS nation that I’d be willing to put money on in the long term is India, but there’s one trump (not him 555) card that the west can play, and should do, that will dwarf BRICS. 

Edited by thisisrascal
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1