Big Bike brand with good service in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

I am disappointed with KTM service in Thailand. I knew that I can't expect the same amount of dealers and service centers like Japanes bikes, but I expected that there would be at least a few good dealers. Until now I didn't fine one...

So I think about selling my KTM and buying another "big" bike. I think about roughly 400cc to 700cc, 4 cylinders. A sports bike, not a super sport bike.

But which brand? Are all Japanese manufacturers similar in their presence and quality in Thailand? Or is i.e. Honda preferable to Yamaha and Suzuki? Or the other way around?

For me only Bangkok matters. 99% of the time I will be within Bangkok so I don't have to worry about service centers up country.

What do you think?

What experience do you have with different brands in Thailand?

Just now, Celsius said:

[some Harley]

I never understood the attraction of those bikes, especially in Thailand.

They are way too big to get between the cars. So, what's the point?

I want a bike to be able to get fast and with some fun from A to B. And not something big to wait between all those cars in the traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to have good experience with Kawasaki, but looks like the Kawasaki Thailand company is stopping service from their headquarter, making customers go to dealers instead, you used to be able to go to the headquarter on Rama 9 rd, and get whatever parts from the parts department, then they moved their office to Petchburi Rd, still have showroom and service dept, but now they've closed the service department, I'd wait and see how committed they are to continuing business in Thailand before recommending  Maybe the dealers aren't happy that corporate is taking their customers but in my experience, dealers own service tech aren't as good as corporate trained ones unless they're kept on a tight leash. Good techs open their own garages.  

Honda Big Wings are mostly run by dealers too, only the Raminthra one is Honda corporate, haven't bought anything from Honda recently but I have got better deals from other BigWing like Rama 3 than the corporate run one on Raminthra, you can buy from other dealer and go to the corporate one for service of course, but being where you bought your bike from helps in getting appointment and smooth things over with warranty claims somewhat 

• Like 1

Have a look at Kawasaki.

I have had two big bikes, A Z900 And a H2SX, I found service and parts readily available and the shops i have used, pm and i will send details, to be very professional in there service.

I actually received better service in Hua Hin than I do in Australia.

as for the bike choice, if it must be 4-cylinder

4 cylinder Honda 650 is pretty good value, considering what you got compared to the 750 twin 'replacement' although the reputation for the thai Honda 650 rider is a bit yobbish with availability of custom parts and farkled to match- somewhat mitigated if you buy the naked CB650 instead of the faired CBR650 

the Kawasaki 250 and 400 4 cylinder probably considered a supersport the bigger 650 are all twin

There's also the naked Z900 that's 4 cylinder 

44 minutes ago, digbeth said:

as for the bike choice, if it must be 4-cylinder

4 cylinder Honda 650 is pretty good value, considering what you got compared to the 750 twin 'replacement' although the reputation for the thai Honda 650 rider is a bit yobbish with availability of custom parts and farkled to match- somewhat mitigated if you buy the naked CB650 instead of the faired CBR650 

the Kawasaki 250 and 400 4 cylinder probably considered a supersport the bigger 650 are all twin

There's also the naked Z900 that's 4 cylinder 

It might not be the best reason, but I like 4 cylinder sound. I had a VFR400 NC30 years ago and that was a great sound, especially near the 14,500 RPM red line.

I thought about the Kawasaki 400 4 cylinder, but as far as I see that bike is made for racing. And probably service and spare parts reflect that.

Currently a Honda CB650R (naked) is on my mind. 4 cylinders with enough power, but not tuned for extreme power like the CBR600RR, which is more expensive in every way.

But I don't really know until now. My 2nd bike, the small 150cc Suzuki Raider works just fine to ride to the coffee shop and market. Let's see.

When it comes to service, availability of parts etc throughout Thailand then Honda is by very big margin the #1. Forget Suzuki, they are few and far between. Yamaha you might be able to find some but service is hit and miss. They got nothing that would fit your 4 cylinder screemer sound anyways. I'm pretty sure if you want quality, peace of mind and 4 pot, not too expensive and not too sporty then the CB650R and Kawa Z900 are the only game in town pretty much.

• Like 1

Kawaski.  I run an ER6N, I've had it for 5 years and I find it a lot of fun.  I've had bikes all my life and my last bike in the UK was a ZX9.  It took me a while to get used to the difference in power between my old ZX and the ER but I'm fine with it now.  I wouldn't want to run a ZX9 in Thailand anyway, I'd be dead by now.  I find the ER very well suited to Thai roads - especially with the wider Versys bars which provide a more comfortable riding position and more leverage when the unexpected pothole happens.

Never had a problem getting spares but do my own servicing + the ER was made in Thailand.

If you want a new bike, the ER was replaced by the Z650.  They are however, both twins so don't run/sound as smooth as 4 cylinder bikes - hasn't bothered me.  Love the bike to bits and wouldn't part with it.

Could contain:

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

May depend where you are.

For me living in Chiang Mai, Suzuki seemingly pulling out of the whole province is an appalling reflection on a company that makes rather good bikes so if you intend to be up here, cant recommend Suzuki

On 10/22/2023 at 12:51 PM, daveAustin said:

Triumph is a decent option nowadays

Talking to a shop that rents big bikes in CM… they were going to buy a few as part of their fleet for rentals …..thinking now Triumph is assembled the import tax would make them more affordable…. he said the tax was changed to luxury tax…no real savings..

14 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Yamaha Fino. Good reliable bike but dreadful fuel consumption. Will always stick to Honda, have had 8 year old Forza since new, very reliable bike.

My old model Forza hasn't been reliable one bit, many things gone wrong with it and had to be fixed...! 

Also Honda small shops treat Forza like a big bike when it comes to spares and service charges, real rip off ..., it's just a slightly bigger PCX, serviced by incompetent scooter mechanics...! 🙄

I have no experience with Honda Big Wing, but I read they are more professional and reliable than small wing... 

I rented their new CB650R naked once, it was a riot, that thing can fly, and fly you as well with it to the other side...!!!? 😜 Be careful..., a lot of morons on the road at those speeds... 

Edited by Agusts

I have had Harleys in Thailand easy for spares and service   everywhere but last 15 years I have  had a Ducati S4   I never use the crappy dealers lucky i can do it all myself ,,  Dont fancy hondas  all bland  so I chose  a new 2022 Kawasaki Z900   good dealers all over   but depends on individual staff ,, But I know what I am doing ,,,

Triumph are not bad  either

So for  a degree of Peace of mind

HONDA

KAWASAKI

Triumph

HD

Yamaha

The rest  are very patchy ,, and even with the good  companies I listed you are at the mercy of the individuals involved ,, Unless you can DIY

Edited by liddelljohn

On 10/25/2023 at 5:01 AM, MangoKorat said:

Kawaski.  I run an ER6N, I've had it for 5 years and I find it a lot of fun.  I've had bikes all my life and my last bike in the UK was a ZX9.  It took me a while to get used to the difference in power between my old ZX and the ER but I'm fine with it now.  I wouldn't want to run a ZX9 in Thailand anyway, I'd be dead by now.  I find the ER very well suited to Thai roads - especially with the wider Versys bars which provide a more comfortable riding position and more leverage when the unexpected pothole happens.

Never had a problem getting spares but do my own servicing + the ER was made in Thailand.

If you want a new bike, the ER was replaced by the Z650.  They are however, both twins so don't run/sound as smooth as 4 cylinder bikes - hasn't bothered me.  Love the bike to bits and wouldn't part with it.

Could contain:

I have the Z650, great bike, suits me perfectly, I'm in Chiang Mai. 

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

Also Honda small shops treat Forza like a big bike when it comes to spares and service charges, real rip off

Why do people buy these big plastic boxes with small engines? For me it seems they want to look like they have a big bike but can't afford or are not able to ride a real big bike. They should pay extra. 😉 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

My old model Forza hasn't been reliable one bit, many things gone wrong with it and had to be fixed...! 

Also Honda small shops treat Forza like a big bike when it comes to spares and service charges, real rip off ..., it's just a slightly bigger PCX, serviced by incompetent scooter mechanics...! 🙄

I have no experience with Honda Big Wing, but I read they are more professional and reliable than small wing... 

I rented their new CB650R naked once, it was a riot, that thing can fly, and fly you as well with it to the other side...!!!? 😜 Be careful..., a lot of morons on the road at those speeds... 

I agree with you about Honda small shops, I also had one PCX and one Wave 125, both very reliable bikes.

One more thing, there are a lot of morons on motorbikes on the road at any speed. I very rarely go more than 60 kph.

Although I haven't ridden one (yet) I'll second the Triumph Trident and also the slightly larger and sportier Street Triple.  I'm looking to get a second, smaller bike to add to my large Versys 1k which I typically tour on and the Trident is at the top of the list.  Before I moved to Thailand I had a Triumph Sprint GT and the fit/finish/build quality was superior to every other Japanese bike that I've had. 

And to  me the sound of a piped triple is absolutely intoxicating -