Alcohol Sales Banned for End of Buddhist Lent This Upcoming Sunday

webfact

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Amazing Thailand it's only one day 

No it's not only one day - it's actually 5 "Buddha" Days every year when the sale of alcohol is banned. That's in addition to  the bans when there are elections!

Welcome to "Even More Amazing Thailand"

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Many days through the year. Thought they would’ve moved on from this by now. People still drink, at home or otherwise. It doesn’t do the tourism sector any favours. Never mind; their country, their rules. 

How well do you know Thailand?

6 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Oh no... half the posters on here will not be affected because they don't live in Thailand... half of the remaining half hopefully can plan ahead so they don't get the dt's.  

I don't live there any more...but I did live there for 20 years. I sort of resigned myself to it, and would buy some beer beforehand. As people used to say, can't you go for one day without going out for a drink!?

Also should bear in mind that there used to be more bar closure days in the past. The King's birthday was, until he commented that he wanted people to have a good time. Constitution Day was another (Chakri Day also?)? Now it's only really Buddha days or election days.

Edited by Andrew65

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Oh no... half the posters on here will not be affected because they don't live in Thailand... half of the remaining half hopefully can plan ahead so they don't get the dt's.  

How did you work that statistic out?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sharp said:

As said the MotoGp will be an interesting situation with all the businesses including temporary alcohol outlets setup 

I was at the WSB races in 2019 and there was an alcohol-free day due to an election. No booze in Buriram town but the track obviously had an exemption - unfortunately only Chang due to sponsorship.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Don't know how they tie consumption of alcohol with religion. However it would be better to have a no-scams day instead, I think this would be more in-keeping with religion, although I'm not to sure why?

555, and the next rule: no prostitutes day!