Disabled teenager demands mother to return 400,000 baht compensation

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The money was given to her mother.

If this was the case, then there was no settlement for the accident, as the victim did not receive the funds.

I would go after the insurance company first (through a lawyer) and the company would have a lot more clout to get the funds back from mum, because it is in their legal interest to see the settlement paid to the actual victim.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

If this was the case, then there was no settlement for the accident, as the victim did not receive the funds.

I would go after the insurance company first (through a lawyer) and the company would have a lot more clout to get the funds back from mum, because it is in their legal interest to see the settlement paid to the actual victim.

Money is gone. A lawyer would gobble up that amount in the blink of an eye.🙃🙃

1 hour ago, hughrection said:

Seems like a responsible mother to me. Quote from main story ..... At the time, the mother explained that she had not used the money for her personal use and didn't want to let the daughter piss the money away on a PCX motorbike at 100,000 baht and a new smart phone.

Typical teenager who wants to spend the money now and worry about everything else later.

The mother could of given her a monthly allowance the court awarded the victim the money not the mother she spending the money on schooling I don’t think that is being spend thrift 

• Like 1

Since the teen is 16 years old, than she's a minor and isn't the money suppose to go to the mother for the teen? I don't know if the cut off age is 18 here or maybe it is 16? As no settlements or contracts can be done with a minor. In the USA, if a settlement is done and it is with a minor, (under 18), the money goes to the parents for the minor. I found this:  The child is subject to parental control of the parents until the child is legally determined to be an adult. Adulthood occurs when the child reaches the age of majority which is 20 years old in Thailand or when the child gets married. Until this time, parents have rights and obligations to their child.

• Like 2

I would do the same, hold the money back, my daughter only looks for the most expensive things, a choice of motorbike a new Honda scooty and an Oppo phone, plus school fees of 11k per semester. My daughter is just starting second semester at UNi. 40 k  I pay that and her accommodation charges. and I give her 1250 baht per week for expenses. If her mother is thinking like that then well and good. The 16year old is only thinking of the money for now, and not the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, heybruce said:

500K is a trivial sum for such a disabling injury.

Can't be that disabling is she wants a heavy bike like a PCX, plus you are right that the sum paid for the loss of a limb is too little, but they must have agreed.

I'm watching a Thai family situation unfold at the moment where , after the death of both parents,  all the children have come "home" and are posting selfies of themselves on FB standing on the property with captions like "my house" or "my rice fields" ... It will be  interesting watching this unravel  ...Thai Style. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another example of a morally bankrupt nation, alongside the headline today of people laughing as a young woman drowned. Just part of their culture they are so proud of.

Not just here but yes extended family lying through their teeth and stating a loan was a gift.
Scum the lot of them and also you get ones who lace drinks with drugs and kill them for 300 Baht

• Like 1
  • Sad 1