Retirement visa versus Marriage visa - which is best?

(I have not done both.) Leaving aside the requirement for extra financial proof, the retirement extension is superior in almost every other respect. Far fewer documents are needed; there is no "under consideration" period (which can be problematic if you want to travel); you do not need to line up witnesses; your permission to stay does not immediately end in case of divorce; and you will usually not need to face the (annoying for some) house visits. Your local immigration office also prefers it, as it is much less work for them. A marriage extension does allow you to work. That is the most likely reason for going that route if you have the financial proof for a retirement extension.

Are you aware of the LTR-WP (Long Term Residence Wealthy Pensioner) visa? If you qualify, that is superior to the regular extensions.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

(I have not done both.) Leaving aside the requirement for extra financial proof, the retirement visa is superior in almost every other respect. Far fewer documents are needed; there is no "under consideration" period (which can be problematic if you want to travel); you do not need to line up witnesses; your permission to stay does not immediately end in case of divorce; and you will usually not need to face the (annoying for some) house visits. Your local immigration office also prefers it, as it is much less work for them. A marriage extension does allow you to work. That is the most likely reason for going that route if you have the financial proof for a retirement extension.

Are you aware of the LTR-WP (Long Term Residence Wealthy Pensioner) visa? If you qualify, that is superior to the regular extensions.

Thank you, that is very helpful as I am considering switching to retirement visa. Not sure if I'd qualify as 'wealthy' and it's not clear (to me) if the 'no global income tax' on the LTR-WP will remain in the new rules. Need to wait an see I guess.

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Extensions based on marriage are a pain. Intrusive photos, house visits including the questioning of random neighbors, the under consideration period...

No good reason not to go for the retirement extension other than the higher financial requirements. If you can satisfy them, save yourself some hassle. 

Thanks, that's helpful. Yes, the marriage visa is a pain in the neck. But when employed it's necessary I guess.

18 minutes ago, Aldo123 said:

yes, but you know what I mean. I believe the process for the Non-Imm O visas based on either retirement or 'supporting a Thai' are a bit different. So that's what I'm asking. If you could choose either, and for those who have done both, which is better from the individual's POV

Guess we didn't all know what you mean as non immigrant O visas are issued to visit spouse (not support) and almost never issued for retirement anymore (that is the non immigrant OA visa which requires proof of medical insurance as well as financials).  Non immigrant O visa to visit wife far better as you can extend for retirement from that without extra medical insurance requirement.  Medical insurance is something you may want to have but conditions of OA visa/extension can be difficult to meet with many real medical insurance plans.

Edited by lopburi3

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Guess we didn't all know what you mean as non immigrant O visas are issued to visit spouse (not support) and almost never issued for retirement anymore (that is the non immigrant OA visa which requires proof of medical insurance as well as financials).  Non immigrant O visa to visit wife far better as you can extend for retirement from that without extra medical insurance requirement.  Medical insurance is something you may want to have but conditions of OA visa/extension can difficult to meet with many real medical insurance plans.

Ok, thanks I see what you mean. I thought they were all "O" visas, like you point out with "OA" and there are other like O for education. Anyway, thanks I wasn't aware of some of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lite Beer said:

Marriage extension would be my choice.

Less financials.

Can use the money throughout the year, unlike retirement extensions. 

Easy to apply for despite what some on here might say.

But using retirement no requirement for any money to stay in bank for any period of time if using income letter/proof of 65k a month transfers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some dislike the yearly home visit done by Imm in some areas, but not all.

Many members reported this as one reason why they changed to retirement extension. Worth mentioning.

On retirement extension myself, never had a home visit.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Aldo123 said:

Thank you, that is very helpful as I am considering switching to retirement visa. Not sure if I'd qualify as 'wealthy' and it's not clear (to me) if the 'no global income tax' on the LTR-WP will remain in the new rules. Need to wait an see I guess.

Ask your IO if they will accept the Combination Retirement Extension i.e. in my case 400k in the bank and 40k per month, which is spendable. Total is 880k per annum, but I shall ask if 35k per month is OK next time or say 320k in the bank, still = 800k.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

--- Snip ---

As for the Marriage extension of stay, the only time you have to have the house visit and neighbor interview deal is on the initial request.  After that its all a cake walk and once a year. Few pictures, a few forms, a visit to immigration and done. 

Different immigration offices implement different rules. Some make it easy, some others make everything in their power to make you miserable.

The five years that I did the married extension, had nothing but trouble almost every time. Was sent back for just stupid things, like: "I cannot see the roof of your house, take new picture..." for me it's a 5 hour round trip to the nearest imm office.

Two years ago, I just gave up and switched to retirement with money in a fixed account. Now if I make an appointment, I'm in and out in 15 minutes. No need to bring the wife with me. Still 5 hours round trip though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

BUT BE AWARE: when switching from marriage to retirement, you NEED one last time kor ror 2, wife ID and wife to prove to immigration that at the time of switching, you are still married.

Or, I guess, your wife's death certificate. Which leads me to say: I believe your marriage extension is good until expiration date after your wife's death. Not sure how that works for divorce.....(?).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And whose fault is that? In the real world, being married with all the docs to prove it in many countries means an automatic five year permission to stay, and then a lifetime permission after that. No home visit, no 90 reporting nonsense, no annual submission of the same documents you produced last year and the year before that and the year before that. Immigration makes its own problems. I've been married 32 years and lived in Thailand for 27, and still have to ask permission to visit my wife. Just stupid. At the same time and despite the nonsense, it doesn't take much time once a year to produce what they need and have already had countless times before. It should just be unnecessary.

Yeah or at least just be able to apply for it online already, so that you then only need to come by for a brief 10 minutes to stamp the passport, if at all. Love this with the Vietnam visa too, just apply online and then print the letter, a tiny stamp on entry and departure only and no other hassle needed anymore.

If it would really be hassle free and 10 minutes in and out like that, thanks to having it online, I would not even mind coming by every 3-6 months.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I have had both, and am currently going through the marriage extension process. Marriage is IMO better, and more 'secure' as long as you stay married.  The annual paperwork for the Retirement is less, and the initial vist etc and waiting period is also a bit annoying - but they are both annoying.  The biggest issue for me is the 400K in a bank for a few months, versus 800K locked away forever. Not so much the amount, but that they force those retired to lock away twice as much as someone that is supporting a Thai wife.  I am also of the view that going forward all those on O retirement extensions in Thailand, will also be required to have mandatory health insurance like those on O-A retirement extensions. And it will probably be mandated that it be one of those ripoff policies setup by the Thai only companies that are basically scamming retired Expats. All in all, I think marriage extension is better, and in the longer term will be more secure.   For those worried about losing their Visa if divorced, the reality is that that process takes a while and it is not hard to switch over to a retirement Visa - and much easier if you use an agent.  

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Not so much the amount, but that they force those retired to lock away twice as much as someone that is supporting a Thai wife

Those with Thai spouse have valid reason for stay - and for a woman there is not even any financial requirement.  Those staying because they so desire have to show higher financials - as would be the case with many countries. 

• Thumbs Up 1