The Met Police WON'T ban Poppy Day pro-Palestine rally

CharlieH

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Something at least we all can agree on.  Maybe, God forbid, even putting aside the petty squabbles we get so wrapped up in here. We get to fight with keyboards, not rifles, thanks to them. 

Yes, thanks to all of them, regardless of where they were born, their language, their political affiliation or their religion.

Be absolutely assured, there will be people taking part in the demonstrations on Saturday who  have family members who fought with Britain in WW1, WW2 and conflicts since.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ll ask you the same question I asked another member.

The current forecast is for 70,000 protestors to attend.

How many of this projected 70,000 must break the law (or engage in ‘river-to-the-sea chants’) for all 70,000 to be branded with the same?

I did not brand them all 'with the same'.

The poster I replied to did.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

I have friends who went on last saturdays march.  They saw little evidence of hate.  Organisers would stop it.

Ceasefire now was the main chant.

The 'river-to-sea'  phrase on its own is simply a way to imprecisely reference a geographical area known to many as Palestine.  As in 'british mandate for Palestine', 1923.

Any political, or anti-semitic meaning only arises when extra words are added to the phrase.  

I'm sure this has been debated here and elsewhere.  See guardian article if the issue is not clear to you:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/31/from-the-river-to-the-sea-where-does-the-slogan-come-from-and-what-does-it-mean-israel-palestine

It says, its used by all sides to reference Palestine. For example:

The context and the intent is key. The founding charter of Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party trolls: “Between the sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty.”

Or 'Palestine will be free from river to sea, free of war, hate, etc.

Different march I guess?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, deejai33 said:

Sunday then ?  Ok ?

Its a weekly protest by those who want less civilians to die.    Every saturday.

They don't have to have it on one of these two days. I think they'd get more sympathy that way. But guess they are more interested in conflict and exposure.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

I have friends who went on last saturdays march.  They saw little evidence of hate.  Organisers would stop it.

Ceasefire now was the main chant.

The 'river-to-sea'  phrase on its own is simply a way to imprecisely reference a geographical area known to many as Palestine.  As in 'british mandate for Palestine', 1923.

Any political, or anti-semitic meaning only arises when extra words are added to the phrase.  

I'm sure this has been debated here and elsewhere.  See guardian article if the issue is not clear to you:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/31/from-the-river-to-the-sea-where-does-the-slogan-come-from-and-what-does-it-mean-israel-palestine

It says, its used by all sides to reference Palestine. For example:

The context and the intent is key. The founding charter of Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party trolls: “Between the sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty.”

Or 'Palestine will be free from river to sea, free of war, hate, etc.

I care little for your convenient imaginary friends and what they choose to see.

There were enough pictures and clips including such references shown on media, and linked on these topics.

You can also try to paint the 'river-to-the-sea' as something innocent, a misunderstanding, really.

Doubt you believe your own nonsense.

Same goes for the lame Guardian article attached.

I'm not a Netanyahu fan (look up my posts dealing with him), and do not support his point of view.

I don't know recall seeing much signs, or hearing many chants as appearing in your last line.

You're doing it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, I actually agree with a Thaibeachlovers post, never thought that would happen. She is vile and disgusting, and good on the Met for not bowing.

Been a lot of that for me recently. A few that I thought I'd never agree with have appeared on the same side as myself over israel, while one that I was in agreement with over Russia has certainly gone full on anti to me over the same subject.

Such is life. Allegiances change like the wind.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, deejai33 said:

Nonsense.

Context is everything. When the song accompanies violence and calls for Jihad, we all know what it means.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/11/08/from-the-river-to-the-sea-is-a-call-for-genocide/

image.png.9fc4f8af5f7d7872f999ef4483fd1cd1.png

image.png.768133cceea097447a0df17e1e2ef356.png

Edited by JonnyF
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Er no. I watched one on TV, which had enough evidence of hate. This hating was not 'stopped' by any 'organizers'.

Nor was it stopped by the police. The trouble is that The Met are so far to the left now that they are essentially Pro Palestine/Anti Israel themselves. It's got to the point that the officers themselves chant "Free Palestine" while on duty in uniform. Political Policing. Ignoring the law for certain ethnic/political groups. This won't end well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

You may be right about Hamas, if that was their ultimate goal it may well succeed. Sadly, it shows how fragile any form of peace or co-existence really was in the area. All it took was one shove and all came tumbling down like a house of cards.

A "shove" is a bit of an understatement!

• Thanks 1

Just now, transam said:

I see the route of the protesters are taking does not go near the Cenotaph.

Let's see what happens.........:whistling:

A pound to a penny some sh_t heads will divert and hopefully get arrested....:clap2:

I don’t see any thing wrong with people break the law getting arrested.

Arresting people who turn up at the Cenotaph looking for trouble is a definitely something the Met should do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Can you post a quote from me in which I said ‘they are all peace loving’?

Or did you make that up?

Throughout the entire thread you have implied that the protestors are peaceful by claiming that they are simply going to peacefully protest and oppose government policy.

Here is one example from page 2.

image.png.19e909f034aba7057e64b71916809905.png

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

Throughout the entire thread you have implied that the protestors are peaceful by claiming that they are simply going to peacefully protest and oppose government policy.

Here is one example from page 2.

image.png.19e909f034aba7057e64b71916809905.png

Your statement was “Chomper said they are all peace loving...”

Now let’s have some honesty out of you, provide a quote of me saying ‘they are all peace loving’ or admit I never said any such thing.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:47 AM, Wobblybob said:

One group wanting a peaceful day to honour the fallen the other group a mob of brainwashed hate filled dimwits, what can possibly go wrong. We know which side the unbiased Met police will arrest though.

I'm going to need more descriptive info to tell who's who, and which group you are referring to.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

So someone like Labour MP McDonald calling for an end to violence and people living together, would not be in the dimwit protest ... Got It

" "We will not rest until we have justice. Until all people, Israelis and Palestinians, between the river and the sea, can live in peaceful liberty." - McDonald

Other, honouring their fallen, for blindly following their leaders, to invade & occupy sovereign countries, would probably fall into the dimwit category ... Got it.

You asked me a question of how to differentiate between the two groups, I answered it in the most honest way I can then you go babbling on about the Marxist McDonnell, I take it you mean McDonnell and not McDonald?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your statement was “Chomper said they are all peace loving...”

Now let’s have some honesty out of you, provide a quote of me saying ‘they are all peace loving’ or admit I never said any such thing.

Don't be silly Chomper...

If I wrote in one of the various Biden/Trump threads "Chomper said Biden is doing a decent job and would do a better job running the US than Trump ever could" it would be an entirely accurate description of your position. I wouldn't need to provide a quote from you saying exactly those words in exactly that order for it to be accurate :laugh: . It's clearly an accurate summary of your position. 

Next level pedantry from you once again. :whistling:

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1