Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC you are the poster who claimed there was an ample supply of lithium for EV's, because the oceans were full of it. I pointed out one would have to process 55,000 tonnes of seawater at 100% efficiency to recover 1 kg of lithium, when the average EV battery needs 60 kg. I can't recall you admitting you were wrong.

Don't recall the post either, but lithium is very abundant, but anti EV'er continue to state otherwise.

On that thread, the only time seawater is mention is by you.   So I can neither confirm nor deny, I ever stated such :laugh:

Let my fingers do some more searching, and check if I'm mistaken.

edit: that didn't show any results.  You may have me confused with someone else.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I'm not George, obviously, I can answer that. It was regarded as commenting on moderation, which is against the rules, and certain mods seemed to enjoy suspending posters for any reason, or perhaps it was only certain posters that they liked suspending.

Don't worry in this specific thread. Discuss, come with ideas and suggestions and keep it civil and I will listen and reply as much I can. That being said, moderation has changed the last 3 months. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, george said:

Things looks good. The forum has a constant growth since 6 months back. We are recovering big time after the very unsuccessful re-branding. Improved SEO and changed moderation attitude is part of the strategy. I'm good at this kinda stuff.. (jokingly).

Regarding Dan: He is doing well with his YouTube Channel and property business, and I'm running the AseanNow show since 1.5 years. Forum was not his bag.

We are soon launching a campaign to get more new members onboard. Follow this space!

How about getting some Thai members on board?

13 hours ago, mstevens said:

Too many clowns dominate the forum these days, lowering the tone and ruining many threads.

You can just do what i do and add them to the ignore list and never see their comments again

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, george said:

There is a way of filtering out which subforums you want to show up in “new content” . Have you tried that? Could we improve that feature? Let me know please 🙏 

IMO the " New content" is fine just as it is , which is new posts. No one forces anyone to read or participate in subforums one does not find desirable. All new posts have a notation at tho it's subforum.  IMO before one engages in a post , one need to see what subforum it is posted in so that he/she could react with in the context of that sunforum.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, george said:

Yes, put them on ignore!

That's all very well George but when you put someone on ignore they can still talk about you and you don't know about it (gosh I hope that doesn't sound too paranoid), I like to keep my enemies where I can see them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

That's all very well George but when you put someone on ignore they can still talk about you and you don't know about it (gosh I hope that doesn't sound too paranoid), I like to keep my enemies where I can see them.

As far as I'm aware, adding the username to the post sends a notice to the 'ignoring' poster regardless of the 'ignore' thing being on. As in 'poster x mentioned you'.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, george said:

Yes, put them on ignore!

That makes topics into a circus - posters placing others on 'ignore' then going on about stuff already discussed, or commenting on posts they do see out of context - and that's just a couple of examples. In other words, it can be used as means to derail topics, or troll. Everyone putting everyone else on ignore is on answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, george said:

Don't worry in this specific thread. Discuss, come with ideas and suggestions and keep it civil and I will listen and reply as much I can. That being said, moderation has changed the last 3 months. 

Mate - You asked for suggestions - I have one about something that has annoyed me for a while.

When reading through a good/long post, when I see something I want to 'quote and respond' I cannot 'open in new tab' as such.

When I right click on 'quote' the new tab is not that post - it is at the start of that page.

Likewise, after I have posted a 'quote and reply' rather than take me back to where I was, it takes me to my post (the last post).

Any chance of an IT Mod to allow open in new tab to work?

Like when I right click on a notification - if I right click on 'open in new tab' for a notification, it opens that exact response message in the new tab. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

That makes topics into a circus - posters placing others on 'ignore' then going on about stuff already discussed, or commenting on posts they do see out of context - and that's just a couple of examples. In other words, it can be used as means to derail topics, or troll. Everyone putting everyone else on ignore is on answer.

Agree not all people you disagree with should be 'ignored' - but the vicious and nasty and trolls should be ignored (and hopefully if we all do that they will go away).

7 hours ago, george said:

Please ignore toxic or flaming posts, use the report button instead, is my advise. If  toxic members gets reported by many, the algorithm takes care of the rest 😎

I assure you!

That's good to know George. I am one of those members who like to help out where I can by reporting such posts, especially those with anti Thai sentiments which I find abhorrent. But I sometime feel that I'm peeing into the wind when the same poster, has moved on to another topic and posts yet another anti Thai slur! Just like a subway graffiti writer.

I have often wondered whether their behaviour does eventually get noticed. If it's not a 'trade secret' could you please explain what it takes to get these posters sanctioned?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Agree not all people you disagree with should be 'ignored' - but the vicious and nasty and trolls should be ignored (and hopefully if we all do that they will go away).

But the two most prolific posters on here don't ignore you for trolling, they ignore you for telling the truth, it ends with them posting less than accurate statements and they are not accountable for their falsehoods because they can't see your reply, it ruins the thread Grumpy.

9 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I think that a good new development would be that when/if you ignore someone, they cannot see your comments and posts (not just you not seeing theirs). I would rather they no longer see anything of mine, as well as me not seeing anything of theirs.

Maybe. But when there are multiple participants and other either quoting or referencing 'ignored' posts and posters it could get even messier than it is now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

Make the forum “pay 4 play”

฿50 per topic started

฿5 per comment

Hopefully, it might prevent

1.  Irrelevant off topic one line quips

2. People constantly policing others for spelling/grammar/opinions

3. People beating a dead horse in debates.

4. Asking stupid questions that are far more easily googled.

This is actually a genious idea.
In theory, every member can claim X Virtual $$ or "Points" on the forum weekly/monthly.  So makes them check in and "Bank" Points.

Then use $$ for Topics and Comments, and maybe Likes or positive emoji's can refund their points spent.  Rewarding good Topics/Replies.

Reddit abandoned their coins thing, but I think it can be a decent idea overall.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That's good to know George. I am one of those members who like to help out where I can by reporting such posts, especially those with anti Thai sentiments which I find abhorrent. But I sometime feel that I'm peeing into the wind when the same poster, has moved on to another topic and posts yet another anti Thai slur! Just like a subway graffiti writer.

I have often wondered whether their behaviour does eventually get noticed. If it's not a 'trade secret' could you please explain what it takes to get these posters sanctioned?

If that is the way you feel, then dont read the comments by Expats (mainly) on the website of the largest English publications in Thailand.

I would say that you should just let it go and not seek to get anyone banned - put them on ignore and you wont see their rubbish - you can do that here - not on that place listed above.

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

Maybe. But when there are multiple participants and other either quoting or referencing 'ignored' posts and posters it could get even messier than it is now.

Yes that is true - not an ideal solution if it goes that far.  People should be able to disagree without going too far - but some cannot help themselves I guess - they take it too personally. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm constantly "surprised" at how many posters click on a thread, read it all and then complain about it, as if they were forced to read it. Don't like it just leave it and don't go back on, OR put the poster on ignore. Simple really.

toxicity is on a all time high, currently.

Nah. Toxicity has always been a thing as long as I've been on TVF/ AN. The forum was apparently quite notorious for it.

I learned early on to not go on any threads about people being arrested for child abuse or such like as the language would have shocked the Marquis de Sade.

Yes people should ignore topics of no interest. Why don't they? I'd say in their lives they had no real power so stalking someone gives them a rush. Total power play. Hide behind a screen, abuse some. No harm comes. In a real pub they wouldnt do it. It's a sign of weakness. 

23 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I once wrote either "SNAFU"  or "FUBAR" and the mod at that time objected that the F in that stood for a verboten word.

I didn't object but all dictionaries have these two acronyms and say that the FU stands for "fouled up".

I remember thinking that someone's grandmother must have become a mod.

Remember the kid in grammar school who volunteered to be hall monitor?

Sometimes they never grow out of it I guess.

I was a mod at "that other Thai forum" for a while and had to resign for that very reason. The "older, more experienced mod" who was training me was an absolute goober. He was (and probably still is) that hall monitor on steroids.

Edited by HappyExpat57
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1