Thai Restaurant Owner in Sweden Gets Partial Refund from Hospital After High Medical Bill

webfact

3 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

So, for sure foreigners pay twice as much as ties for hospital visits in a private hospital. TIT.

Curious what symptoms do ties manifest when they need hospitalisation?

Spots perhaps

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, rbkk said:

It all came to light in last years (?) legal case where Anutin sadly won against the foreign engineer. There was a thread here about it. I know I pay my bills @ a lower rate than a tourist because I registered with my Yellow Book. I don't know which level of the 5 tiers I'm on but I do know it's not the top tier and it is reasonable.  

Don't take my post the wrong way, not any reflection on what you said. It was a dig at comments made by others on a different thread.

I am also registered at 3 government hospitals with my ID card, effectively the same as the yellow book, and I pay the same as Thais, I know that as we know other patients at the same hospitals. When the pandemic broke out my normal hospital put me on Mor Phrom and I was virtually at the front of the queue when the free vaccine rollout started.

I certainly wouldn't have any complaints on what I have had to pay for so far. At the end of 2019 I had cataracts done in both eyes for 40K all in.

• Like 1

The cost of medical care here in Thailand as gone from one extreme to the other. The cost of getting your ears syringed 15 years ago would not get you passed the information desk today.

The holiday medical operation farms advertised years ago must be on their last legs.

My last medical operation here cost three times more than the original estimate, no reason was given for such an excess, although the operation was a simple one and went OK without complications. However, future treatment on the same scale would need better reassurance of costs. Operations in Malaysia & back in the UK are now seen as viable options. The Thai hospitals have all but priced themselves out the market except for emergencies of course?    

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

250k for 4 days in a hospital with a fever? What possible justification could there be for this? Event if you take off the 100k it's still a crazy price right?

Thank you , I agree. That’s over 7000 euros !! Absolutely crazy, I wonder which hospital this was ? One I’d rather not go to.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

The land of smiles at her best.... let's grab everything we can from our precious tourist..  Rip them off as much as possible... while on the other hand Thailand is complaining about low numbers of tourist have been visiting the country the last 3 years.  In which dream do they live? 

Allowing discriminating or foreigners. But because they are from abroad doesn't mean they want and can pay these prices.  Do they charge the ridge Thai also these prices?  I guess not!

Edited by ThailandGuy
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

what a joke.  i was at Ram Hospital in Chiang Mai and was quoted 100K for a hernia repair.  they told me no 2 tier pricing.

now the truth comes out.  squeeze the farang.  

That's a lot for a hernia operation that can probably be done without you having to even stay overnight. 

• Agree 1

Few years ago I got food poisioning up north. Very bad. I had to stay the night with a drip in my arm. Cost me 3400 baht for the stay and medicine in a Thai hospital. This is an example why I keep my health care card active in the US. In the US with only medicare the 7000 dollar bill would have cost me the deductible , about 250 (unless already met)+ 20%. Much cheaper in the US.  Same with dental work. I am in Colombia getting dental implants. I got a price in Thailand and it was very expensive.  I came to Colombia and am saving about 60% of the US and about 45% of Thai prices. I like Thailand and lived there for years. But, the hype is just that, hype.  Amazing to me how many people believe the internet and YouTubers..  

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, rbkk said:

So, visiting her country of birth and using that countries health service? I know that's a no-no for the UK's NHS. (Have to wait 3 years for returning residents.)

Returning UK citizens do not have to wait 3 years. You simply have to prove you have returned and are resident in the UK to get full access to the NHS.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-nhs-when-you-return-to-live-in-the-uk

• Agree 1

A rip-off which went wrong and then the TAT goons in general and those medical temples in particular wonder, why medical tourism is completely behind budget and forecast.

Go to i.e. Rutnin Eye Hospital or Bumrungrad hospitals; all the rich Middle Easterners and the Dirty Farang from Europe are missing as many of them got sick and tired to be grossly overcharged over what a Thai patient pays. The latter, most with their 30 Baht badge, are of course not admitted in the eliterian health institutes of the Kingdom - go figure! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, malibukid said:

where?

Ruam peyt Surin. I should add to that, two days before the OP the surgeon rang me up and asked me what gauze I wanted to have inserted, there were three types, the most expensive was gold which was supposed to give me the least trouble later in life, it cost 10,000 Baht, I chose this and transferred the money to the hospital before the OP.

It was quite an experience. The hernia was very low down to one side of the genitalia, the surgeon told me that he had only operated on this type once before and he wanted to do the OP at night when it would be quieter and there would be less interruption. The OP room surprised me (it is an old building) it appeared sterile, clean, white tiled and bright lights but against one wall were wooden cupboards full of hospital gowns. 4 people greeted me, very friendly and introduced themselves and told me what they would be doing. The anesthetist was a woman who said she would give me injections in my back and I wouldn't be able to lift my legs or feel anything, so with that done I lay on the table and told her when I couldn't lift my legs. We all waited for the surgeon (a 40 year old man) who entered the room barefoot and whistling, he sat down at a table in the corner and seemed to be writing medical reports in the 5 or 6 files he brought in with him. After 10 minuets he got up, "Right, let's get on with it shall we, feeling OK"? A green screen was put up between me and the part of the body to be operated on and he started. it took about 30 minutes and I was wheeled back upstairs, this was about 5 years ago and to this day I can't see a scar, I've had no trouble since.

10 hours ago, rbkk said:

I  was under the assumption that if you were out of the country (UK) for over 6 months you cannot return to a free NHS. This was to stop the expats returning (after a cancer diagnosis, for example). You can use, but must pay a fee. This change to the NHS policy was since I arrived 20+ years ago. People previously would hop on a flight or have procedures done whilst on a holiday return visit to see family. The Thai lady in the article checked in to the private hospital with a foreign passport and paid using an overseas credit card. Why does she feel she has a right to the "Thai Price"? It appears to me that she is a Thai expatriate who is based overseas now; not paying Thai taxes. 

So somebody from the UK leaves the country for over 6 months, a long holiday perhaps or maybe working overseas and on their return are not entitled to NHS treatment. I call b/s on that. It is certainly not my personal experience

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Returning UK citizens do not have to wait 3 years. You simply have to prove you have returned and are resident in the UK to get full access to the NHS.

yeah the 3 year waiting list is standard for everybody,   The uk NHS is more concerned with diversity and wokeness than actually treating people.

There is a sure fire way to jump the queue though,    if upon your return  you got off the plane in Paris and made your way to Calais and completed the journey on a small boat, you would receive instant medical treatment on your arrival in the UK. and free hotel accommodation whilst you undergo the treatment   Just don't forget to destroy your passport on the way over...... Sad but 100% true

I for one agree that hospital care prices for farangs & Thais should be different.

Their healthcare system struggles (as does the NHS, NZ Health & Aust' Medicare" ) 3 that I know of.

Why should they subsidize us unless working & paying SS when you are elgible.

And we will not talk about the crazy prices in the US.

It is one of the risks we take living here up to a point. I have insurance but only up to 2 mil per op which would

in no way cover anything major

10 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

And I don't care nor am I the least concerned about Thai people paying less. It's their country, they are generally less well off than we are,

You seem to be forgetting that this story is about private medical treatment.  I fully understand why Thai citizens might get cheaper treatment at a government hospital or clinic but in the commercial medical world, there should be no discrimination on price based on race nor any excuse for it. Its not a cheaper price for Thai citizens - its totally ripping off foreigners. The actual price vs the 'farang price'.

Should a Thai citizen fall ill in the UK whilst on holiday for example, firstly any emergency (NHS) treatment is free (unless it leads to an admission) regardless of race or residence status and secondly, where treatment is chargeable - everyone is charged the same for treatment received in an NHS facility. Certain other treatments are also free:

Services that are free to everyone

Some services or treatments carried out in an NHS hospital are exempt from charges, so they're free to all.

These include:

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visiting-or-moving-to-england/how-to-access-nhs-services-in-england-if-you-are-visiting-from-abroad/

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

So somebody from the UK leaves the country for over 6 months, a long holiday perhaps or maybe working overseas and on their return are not entitled to NHS treatment. I call b/s on that. It is certainly not my personal experience

No, it has already been pointed out that he is wrong.  Some say that no free treatment will be available until you've been back in the UK for 6 months. However, the actual rules seem to state that a UK National simply has to prove that they have returned to live in the UK.

Using the NHS when you return to live in the UK

Complete a GMS1 form to register with a GP near your home. Bring proof that you are eligible for free healthcare.

(unnecessary text removed to save space)

If you are a UK national living abroad and are returning to live in the UK, you will be able to use the NHS for your healthcare.

You will need to complete a GMS1 form to register with a GP near your home. See how to register with a GP practice

Prove you are eligible for free healthcare

The first time you have treatment anywhere in the NHS you will need to bring proof that you are eligible for free healthcare. You should bring at least two of the following documents:

Residence in the UK

• Proof of your purchase of property or a tenancy agreement
  • Recent utility or council tax bill payment
  • UK bank account showing recent UK activity

Employment status

• Payslip or letter from employer
  • Bank statement
  • Unique tax reference number
  • Documentation from your local job centre to show that you are receiving job-seekers allowance

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Crossed wires. If you return to UK to be a resident again it's free. If you have left for over 6 month's you can't return for a visit and use the NHS without paying a bill @ +150%.  They are different cases. Example: If Thai expats, like me, who have lived here for years (Over 6 months) were to visit the family/kids back in UK over Christmas, returning to Thailand in the New Year, your liable for your NHS treatment @+150%. I've already linked to the UK Govt. website in a previous post; perhaps you skipped over it.

" UK nationals who no longer live in the UK"

"Because the NHS is a residency-based system, under NHS rules UK nationals who move abroad on a permanent basis lose their entitlement to free NHS healthcare...... Any treatment that may have to be paid for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate."   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

I disaggree about of your NHS assesment because my friend married in Greece and they went to British in 2017 .He works in restaurant and he also take his kid. He subscribed to NHS his father -mother as well as his father in law /mother in law totally four people who live in Greece permanently. NHS send them SMS mesage for annual check up/treatment and he pays nothing .Prime Minister Sunak two days ago changed the visa law (if you are eligible). 1.Everyone who enters Britain will pay more money for visa. 2.The medical and nursing staff seeking jobs have the right to bring their members of their families. 3 To get the work visa you have to declare minimum income every year £37 800.

Edited by Paris333

59 minutes ago, rbkk said:

" UK nationals who no longer live in the UK"

"Because the NHS is a residency-based system, under NHS rules UK nationals who move abroad on a permanent basis lose their entitlement to free NHS healthcare...... Any treatment that may have to be paid for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate."   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

The cost of running NHS paid for out of taxes and NHS contributions paid by UK taxpayers.  This thread is about charges made by a private hospital.

You have placed two sentences one after the other which could be construed as an apparent attempt to make it look as if UK Nationals who have left the UK may have to pay 150% of any NHS charges.  Whilst that is a possibility, in practice such people will not be asked if they have left the UK and if they have any sense, will answer appropriately if they have.  Those who return to the UK - whether as a result of illness or not are, in fact entitled to free NHS care as long as they intend to live in the UK.  That does not preclude anyone from changing their mind on that - should they so wish.  As per my thread above, there is no minimum time that a returning UK national must be in residence and no minimum duration of stay.

In effect then, a returning UK national will not have to pay for any NHS charges from day 1, provided they prove they are now residing in the UK. The level of proof required to show that someone has returned to live in the UK is easily met.

Those reading the post that I have quoted here, should read the entire NHS link contained within it.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Sad 1