Embrace life now we are old

georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I recall my parents generation when they retired they all would attend the Lawn Bowls , all wearing white playing Lawn Bowls , do they still have that ?

They do where I live. I was going to join to meet some people my own age, but I'm too busy doing other stuff.

Actually, in between life's little crises I've got more to do than I have life left to do them. I used to be stressed about not sorting them before I passed over, but then I realised that after I've gone they will just throw everything in a skip, so whats the point anyway.

All my treasures are other's rubbish.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I had the music changed.

There was approximately about 15 of us "Senior citizens" sitting in this community hall , 

Sunny morning they are sitting around drinking tea and playing board games 

The music playing was.   Wait for it.....Bing Crosby!

Now that's my parents generation music 

I quickly went over to the young girl behind the music desk,she is a volunteer student DJ who helps at the Senior citizens centre hall one day a week 

I said how about some AC/DC love?

I was astonished even at her age 20ish she had no idea who AC/DC was?

She said oh the mature aged ,yes matured aged people she said they  prefer Bing Crosby ,I said that's our parents generation not ours !

She looked up ACDC  to play " I'm on the highway to hell .da da ...highway to hell !!! Pumped into up !

The team leader a baldy headed chubby old guy came running over , " turn that music off ,it could scare people here !

Another seated nearby covered her ears with both hands with a painful expression , " oh  I'm nearly 70 she shouts 

I was asked to leave 

Sounds like the sequel to... 

One Flew Over.... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

"Do more squats ,more squats in the gym ! I shouted to her 

As the young say, "Cool story, Bro".

I just had dinner with a guy, 76 (so a mere five years older than me), who looked like he could be my dad.

I wasn't smug, I was filled with dread: At any point, I can hit similar skids, fast. My 10 years-younger wife is more down than up ,healthwise, so that's another nagging reminder not waste my time on anger, stupidity, or whole cloth making up of imaginary Bing Crosby disputes.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Stop the drinking ,and in some parts of Australia introduce Sharia law in all for it !

OP down at the mosque:

" "Not really feeling the whole wailing, yodeling Call To Prayer-thing. Do you have any AC/DC?".

'Hope he's caught this:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

She looked at me like I was some kind of nutter 

She was a good judge of character I think , sounds like you just went there

to wind old folks up and cause trouble.... act your age...

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

OP down at the mosque:

" "Not really feeling the whole wailing, yodeling Call To Prayer-thing. Do you have any AC/DC?".

'Hope he's caught this:

I didn't realise Bruce sang that too, I love Bruce Springsteen version of Nightshift.

I remember when I was a teenager I was in love with him,( geez he must be old)

Love his energy 

Another guy still going is Leo Sayer ,saw him the other day in the street stopped and talked to him

Edited by georgegeorgia

When I was given the option to retire, I asked to be allowed to continue as the office allows me to meet people (and the work is fun).

A social life is the key to longevity, so bowls would be fine (if they had it in Bangkok) as it allows you to meet and interact. Holding a party at my place tomorrow with young colleagues as it is part of the social life we oldies need. 

Regarding music, I once had a chat with the music critic of the Bangkok Post (he only seemed to discuss endless classical music "cover" versions) and asked why he thought people switched their musical taste to Beethoven immediately upon reaching 60, after growing up with Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, AC/DC etc. Just a smile, then he walked away.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The best thing about getting old is realizing that nothing really matters.

The best thing about getting old is realizing that nothing else matters.

Much better.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well now I'm considered a "Senior Citizen"

Less public transport costs,health care card etc a few more benefits because of my age 

So I decided to attend a senior's citizen social club in my area , unfortunately I think I got banned after the second visit 

I recall my parents generation when they retired they all would attend the Lawn Bowls , all wearing white playing Lawn Bowls , do they still have that ?

Is my generation still interested in that?

Anyway turned up at the seniors citizens meeting all old people sitting in chairs whinging & complaining drinking cups of tea and bikkies.

A couple of old people ( my age) started chatting about how too many Muslims are coming here and it's terrible and introduce sharia  etc , I commented back I thinks absolutely fantastic I said , I hope they do ,I'm sick of these drunken slobs walking about !

Stop the drinking ,and in some parts of Australia introduce Sharia law in all for it !

I looked around the room to see some of them ( old people )have had hard lives by their faces ,ex drunks or druggies in their party heydays

The crime is bad now said one old lady , probably about 70 , "I can't leave my doors unlocked anymore 

I quickly argued with her , The crime was worse in the 1980's and 90's love I said , much worser!

I remember the robberies and murders back then !

I even bashed a guy in the park over there in 1987 I said to her pointing to  a once notorious park playground that is now filled with rich yuppies and their children 

She looked at me shocked and got up to leave , nearly took her 30 minutes to get out of the chair ,, 

"Do more squats ,more squats in the gym ! I shouted to her 

She looked at me like I was some kind of nutter 

You need your head examined if you welcome sharia law. I hope you were joking.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

When I was given the option to retire, I asked to be allowed to continue as the office allows me to meet people (and the work is fun).

A social life is the key to longevity, so bowls would be fine (if they had it in Bangkok) as it allows you to meet and interact. Holding a party at my place tomorrow with young colleagues as it is part of the social life we oldies need. 

Regarding music, I once had a chat with the music critic of the Bangkok Post (he only seemed to discuss endless classical music "cover" versions) and asked why he thought people switched their musical taste to Beethoven immediately upon reaching 60, after growing up with Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, AC/DC etc. Just a smile, then he walked away.

I hope you not going to bore them tomorrow night with Bing Crosby 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

You need your head examined if you welcome sharia law. I hope you were joking.

No.im not joking !

Have you ever walked the streets whether that be Glasgow ,Sydney or Auckland in a early weekend morning to see drunks including young girls vomiting in the gutter 

Walking home late last night from work past a pub I had a drunk girl bump into me , the pavement is wide but no matter which direction I walked she was on intent in bumping me ,her boyfriend I presume ,said to me " watch it mate as I walked past 

These people are disgusting smelly alcohol 

I made a donation online last year to a Islamic charity that patrols the streets in London suburb to implement proper law in that area and in 2024 I plan to make it monthly debit to them to increase the sharia patrols

I'm sick of senseless crime particularly to elderly people.

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 2