Bangkok taxi driver arrested for stealing million-baht wristwatch

webfact

image.jpeg

A 44 year old Bangkok taxi driver was apprehended on Monday morning, accused of delaying his journey for several hours in wait for a Japanese passenger, who was inebriated, to fall asleep. The motive behind this delay was allegedly to pilfer a wristwatch worth a million baht.

Pol Col Pansa Amarapitak, the chief at Bangkok’s Thong Lor station, reported the arrest of the driver, known only as Boonlert, on charges of nocturnal theft.

On the evening of December 17, a tipsy Japanese businessman took Boonlert’s taxi for a one-kilometre journey to his accommodation located on Soi Thong Lor 13 Road. Upon waking up at approximately 5am on December 18, the passenger found his watch was missing and informed the police.

CCTV footage revealed that the driver had aimlessly wandered the streets in his taxi for around two and a half hours before finally delivering the passenger to his destination.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of iStock

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not think it is smart to wear a watch that valuable when wandering around a big city. Anywhere. It takes a bit of a desperate ego to do so. 

Myself, and i presume many others too, can't tell the different between a well made $100 copy watch to a real one,

can you? and if someone has such a watch, where exactly do you want them to wear it, at home?...

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 44 year old Bangkok taxi driver was apprehended on Monday morning, accused of delaying his journey for several hours in wait for a Japanese passenger, who was inebriated, to fall asleep. The motive behind this delay was allegedly to pilfer a wristwatch worth a million baht.

Pol Col Pansa Amarapitak, the chief at Bangkok’s Thong Lor station, reported the arrest of the driver, known only as Boonlert, on charges of nocturnal theft.

On the evening of December 17, a tipsy Japanese businessman took Boonlert’s taxi for a one-kilometre journey to his accommodation located on Soi Thong Lor 13 Road. Upon waking up at approximately 5am on December 18, the passenger found his watch was missing and informed the police.

CCTV footage revealed that the driver had aimlessly wandered the streets in his taxi for around two and a half hours before finally delivering the passenger to his destination.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of iStock

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

....failure of navigation system probably 🤩

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Events like this are definitely not good for Thailand's 'pristine' image. That said, such could happen in just about any country around the world.

pristine image, are  you having  a laugh?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then the taxi driver discovered that it was a cheap copy bought that night in a bar. ;) 

(I like to write for maybe 500B, that was what I paid 30 years ago. I don't know how the prices developed.)

He sold it for 330k, guess how I know.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Was the meter running? sorry rhetorical question. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I found it strange that the taxi driver could tell that he's nicking a million baht watch from a copy one,

but yet, didn't take the passenger's wallet...

My first thought too. But then I got a feeling he may have sold " fake " watches at sometime. The watch guys in Patpong or Suk can see a real one 5/6 meters away at night. The Taxi driver could say the watch wasn't on him when he got in the car. Hard to say the wallet wasn't on him.  I guess he ( the victim ) would have had to pay the taxi fare by using a wallet. 

• Haha 1

Lots of horror stories about Thai taxi drivers recently (incl. the foreign woman on Phuket kicked out of a taxi)... They must be working overtime now on a BIG story of that "jai-dee" taxi driver returning a briefcase with dozens of Rolexes, jewellery, and a wallet stuffed with tens of thousands of dollars, yuan...

Edited by StayinThailand2much