Pink Id card for foreigners

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^. 

It ranges between "piece of cake", through "absolute nightmare", to "totally impossible".

Best bet is to trot over to your local ampur office, you will need a Thai speaker, to find out exactly what they need.

And take all your visa documents, passport, reporting proof, house tabien baan book, everything.

The pink card is available with some visa types but not with all.

Is available to permanent residents

Go to your amphur office and check.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

I went with my TGF to our local amphur a few months ago, was told to go get legally married then come back and ask again. So I've given up on ever having one.

Legal marriage to a Thai is not one of legal requirements. The main requirements are a valid yellow book, a valid long term visa, and a Thai translator/witness to accompany you during the process to verify that you understand what's stated in the documents that you will be required to fill out and sign for the card. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

I went with my TGF to our local amphur a few months ago, was told to go get legally married then come back and ask again. So I've given up on ever having one.

Initially, my amphur (supervisor) told us there were only two requirements; 1) Living in the amphoe for over 12 months and, 2) Be legally married. When both of those requirements applied we returned to be told they required a translated and certified copy of my passport plus full form birth certificate. I pointed out that we had not long since supplied a copy of my passport for marriage registration so they will either have it in paper form and/or scanned image. They said 'no good, we need another.' My birth certificate is a 'short form' (no parents details) so that wouldn't be acceptable either. Same as you, gave up at that point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Initially, my amphur (supervisor) told us there were only two requirements; 1) Living in the amphoe for over 12 months and, 2) Be legally married. When both of those requirements applied we returned to be told they required a translated and certified copy of my passport plus full form birth certificate. I pointed out that we had not long since supplied a copy of my passport for marriage registration so they will either have it in paper form and/or scanned image. They said 'no good, we need another.' My birth certificate is a 'short form' (no parents details) so that wouldn't be acceptable either. Same as you, gave up at that point.

The certified translation of your passport is a standard requirement for obtaining the yellow book and will need to be done by a Thai government office. If you're in Bangkok I think that it can be done at one of the government offices in the complex out in CW. Fee is around 1,000 Baht I recall, plus a small extra processing fee if you want to have it done for you while you wait. 

Birth certificate don't know about. Never heard of that as a requirement for anything in Thailand. Passport already certifies your date and place of birth. 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As we have 'passports' that ID takes precedence over the Pink ID which as you mention is 'restricted to area' - that doesn't mean 'we are restricted to that area if we hold the Pink ID as we have our passport which supersedes this'....   

... on the back of the card there is a statement "The holder of this card is prohibited from leaving the issuing area except for those who have an alien identification"... (in this context the alien identification is a Passport)

Until such time as the pink card can be made to act on an equal footing to our passports for ID purposes (presumably through the inclusion of the most important piece of personal information in our case, namely the date when our current permission to stay in Thailand is due to expire) then it strikes me as really not worth bothering about, as @scubascuba3 has said.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone ever got one in Chiang Mai, Mae Rim district?

visited a few times and got all the paperwork but still heard nothing. Going back tomorrow with Immigration letter. My Thai Partner accompanies me. The house is in her name!

I will update if any progress.

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not quite true and has been heavily debated in the past with a selective interpretation of the wording. 

As we have 'passports' that ID takes precedence over the Pink ID which as you mention is 'restricted to area' - that doesn't mean 'we are restricted to that area if we hold the Pink ID as we have our passport which supersedes this'....   

... on the back of the card there is a statement "The holder of this card is prohibited from leaving the issuing area except for those who have an alien identification"... (in this context the alien identification is a Passport)

While our DL is obtained through our Pink ID, it is registered to us (the person) with Name, DOB and photo, thus remains valid outside of the 'are stated on the Pink ID'.... 

On the back of the Thai DL there is also a comment that states... "Restrictions on use / Restrictions in the case of driving outside the area, us it together with a permission letter to leave the area"... 

... some misinterpret this to mean the holder cannot drive outside of the province (if the DL was obtained with a pink ID) - this is incorrect... 'Outside of the area' refers to outside of Thailand... in this case, 'written permission' is an IDP to drive with the Thai License (and IDP) outside of Thailand. 

--------

Back on Topic: 

Two separate points for the OP.

- There is the Yellow House Book (Tabien Baan) - for foreigners. 

- There is the Pink ID.

The Pink ID is obtained after obtaining the Yellow House Book. 

Obtaining the Pink ID is very very simple and takes a matter of minutes.

Obtaining the Yellow House Book takes some leg work and often requires a lot of documentation.

The Yellow House Book has its uses (i.e. for proof of address - DL / Banking etc), but the hassle of obtaining this may outweigh the usefulness.

The Pink ID (can be handy as ID), but is by no means a necessity.

The only true way to know what is required (how much hoop jumping) to obtain the Yellow House Book is to go to the Amphur and ask. 

Usually required documents are:

1) MFA Verified Translation of an Embassy Verified Copy of your Passport..

i.e.

(a) - Go to Embassy and Get a Verified Copy of Passport

(b) - Get that officially translated into Thai (i.e. at MFA building).

(c) - Get the Translation verified by MFA. 

I did not intend to suggest that the clause on the back of the pink card will limit a pink card holder's movements within Thailand of someone who has a passport and who isn't a migrant worker.

However, I was told directly by DLT that if you want to use a pink card for address verification (as opposed to obtaining a letter of residence address verification from the Thai immigration department) that the pink card will be accepted as such but that the DL issued would only permit driving of a vehicle in the province in which the DL was issued. I'm only repeating what I was told directly by the DLT back in 2020. If this is really not the law then that would be good news. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2