Bum gun in bathroom leaking / broken

bbi1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

If the bum gun in the bathroom is leaking / broken, is this the owner's responsibility or the tenant's responsibility to buy a new one and put the new one in? I would've thought it's the owner's responsibility as the tenant has moved in and it was in working state. I think the tenant's responsibility is only for changing light bulbs if they become fused. Correct me if I'm wrong?

In properties I've rented in the past there has been an agreement with the landlord...

Anything less than 2000 baht I just get on with it and fix it myself...   Anything I'd estimate to be more than 2000 baht, contact the landlord for them to deal with it.

Thus: anything like a leaking fawcet etc is extremely simple to self fix changing out like for like.

27 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Speaking as a Landlord I would be extremely pissed off if a Tennant just went ahead and changed anything without asking.

Maybe my bum gun cost 1200 and he just changed it for a cheapo 200 baht version (I would then replace again out of bond money). Maybe he makes water damage because he doesn't know what he's doing or the valve leaks.

Like most countries, Landlord is responsible for any ongoing maintenance and I'd assume most of us would prefer it that way to keep control of how our condo looks

You could still change it out to your 1200 baht freckle-douche at the end of the contract, its costs you nothing extra.

IF a tenant does something that creates water damage, or doesn't report a leak and just leaves it - they are on the hook for the damage.

The management at my condo does not like tenants getting involved with such repairs. They use their own maintenance staff and bill the landlord. All a tenant needs to do is report the problem with photo/s highlighting the fault.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

How long do you have to hold the lever to activate the nozzle to release the remaining pressure? I held it for over a minute after closing the bum gun valve, and the water just keeps on dripping out of the nozzle at a decent pace. If I stop holding the lever, the water just keeps dripping down the side of the hose. The bum gun valve has been fully closed. Do I also need to fully close the next valve that supplies water to the toilet cistern too?

If there is a secondary valve, close that one also. If you still have a problem than call the landlord explain that you tried to fix it yourself but you were unable to shut the water off, and sorry to bother him for such a minor thing but could he please help you or send someone over that could. 

Post a picture od the set up, I will take a look at it. 

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Actually raises a very good point, slightly off topic but who should I contact for changing a light bulb?

you contact the young cashier at your 7-11 and have him or her come around and climb the ladder while you hold it steady.

• Haha 1

A new one cost between 100 and 300 baht and it takes 5 minutes to install, so in all seriousness why is this a topic? Why would you even want to bother your landlord over a $5 repair? 

There should be some sort of rule of thumb for importance versus pettiness of a topic, this one takes the annual prize for pettiness. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Last 2 times I was in airbnb condos I broke the bum guns both hoses quite short .

It never even crossed my mind to contact the owner they were about 160 baht @ lotus of course I spent a further 180 baht @ mr DIY for wrench I would have felt stupid calling for that

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

If the bum gun in the bathroom is leaking / broken, is this the owner's responsibility or the tenant's responsibility to buy a new one and put the new one in? I would've thought it's the owner's responsibility as the tenant has moved in and it was in working state. I think the tenant's responsibility is only for changing light bulbs if they become fused. Correct me if I'm wrong?

A couple of hundred baht and 5 minutes work... why bother the owner?

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Less than 200B. why bother, replace it youself.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Oh dear, buy a new one for a couple of Baht and good is. No reason to start a dispute. 🙏

20 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Those things are so cheap and easy to change yourself (literally couple of minutes) its hardly worth the bother of scheduling someone to call round.

They're so cheap because they're poor quality and definitely can't stand a decent water pressure. Fitted the Chinese crap in the UK, didn't last a month. Now had a top quality one for years. 

We own house so its on its.. Was in Boonthavorn and getting a 150 bt one and sales guy who spoke English showed me one for 1000 Bt.. chrome plated, guts all solid brass and can open and clean. Bought one, year later have replaced 3.  These don't have trouble but when they leak, shut off valve and unscrew nozzle, flush it and put back.. Yea its a stupid bum gun but got tired of changing it... good ain't cheap and cheap usually ain't good....

30 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Asking for a friend.

When he moved into his rental there was an almost full roll of toilet paper in the bathroom.  It's disappeared, now there is just a small cardboard roll thingie on the hanging device which is totally unsuitable for the purpose.

Who's responsible for a replacement, my friend or the owner of the building? If he is expected to do it himself who will pay for it, and is there some sort of manual available to explain the procedure?

You need to contact the owner as that may have been expensive 3 ply paper on that roll and needs to be replaced with the same or better.

16 minutes ago, yankyoakum said:

We own house so its on its.. Was in Boonthavorn and getting a 150 bt one and sales guy who spoke English showed me one for 1000 Bt.. chrome plated, guts all solid brass and can open and clean. Bought one, year later have replaced 3.  These don't have trouble but when they leak, shut off valve and unscrew nozzle, flush it and put back.. Yea its a stupid bum gun but got tired of changing it... good ain't cheap and cheap usually ain't good....

But you could have just replaced 10 or 20 times with a cheap spray for the same price and not have to handle the s..t inside.  There comes a time when cheap makes sense.  Currently 53 baht on Lazada:

image.png.64bb0b640a66bb88ab9416c6f1971833.png

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Maybe my bum gun cost 1200 and he just changed it for a cheapo 200 baht version (I would then replace again out of bond money).

Simple solution to that re-fit the original bum gun when leaving, and then let the landlord pick up the water bill.  

On 1/30/2024 at 10:48 AM, bbi1 said:

Is 200 baht really worth the hassle?  By the time you contact the owner, he comes and fixes it, you are looking at a week at best.  Just go out to the DIY pick up a new hose and a set of vice grips.

My lease has a 1500 baht deductible on repairs so I would need to fix it. I just use the other bathroom as I have two bathrooms. Turned off the water to the gun at the base. At the end of the lease I just say nothing and hope he does not feel like taking a dump during the move out inspection.

Edited by JimTripper