Car Blocking the Entrance to my House.

8 hours ago, 747man said:

I Got Threatened by my Thai Neighbour with a Gun,Just for Asking him to Keep his Dog to STOP ( Howling like a Wolf ) Between 3am & 6am......Regarding the OP " Has he tried his local Tessabarn to see if they can get it Moved ?? )

You too! My wife wanted me to box the guy.I went to the police and the Amphur the next day with a video ,she recorded of bin ba pu chai.

Here’s a comment earlier from another member that makes sense while living here!

. “Your wife's concern is understandable.Be careful. Disputes in Thailand on this subject can result in death, as was the case in a recent, widely reported, incident”.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, riclag said:

You too! My wife wanted me to box the guy.I went to the police and the Amphur the next day with a video ,she recorded of bin ba pu chai.

Here’s a comment earlier from another member that makes sense while living here!

. “Your wife's concern is understandable.Be careful. Disputes in Thailand on this subject can result in death, as was the case in a recent, widely reported, incident”.

Thats understandable and as you you point out...  disputes can escalate, but the Op is in control of that escalation... 

He's not receiving advice to start a conflict... he's receiving advice to go around ask again, take a bottle of something and deal with this in a friendly way... 

Only then will he know if the other party is going to be fair or not... IF the other party responds negatively, then he knows the car is there to stay, or if he so wishes he can take further action such as getting the Police involved and getting them to ask him to move his car a little.

Looking at the car itself, is clear the owner of the vehicle is some sort of lowclass bogan.. but that doesn't mean he's unapproachable.... not yet anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's about the owner of the car, not his brother. If the vehicle owner is a blank the only thing you can do is call parking enforcement. He is not required to move it unless the authorities make him move it or start ticketing the car to force it out. Don't make it personal.

The minute he moves it or it's moved for him, come in with another vehicle and park it there. Will be a two step process moving your parked vehicle a bit every time you need access to the driveway. If it's not moved at all and the authorities don't intervene you would need to park on the street.

Edited by JimTripper

50 minutes ago, bbko said:

And what exactly is stopping you from speaking with the tessabaan or village headsman?

I don’t live in a village to start with, the thing mentioned I have no idea who or what it is.

• Agree 2

I don’t want direct confrontation with a Thai wether officially or unofficially neither does my Thai wife, it could end in a bad way,  we have been down that road before. TBH I am not looking for suggestions or a solution just pointing out how ignorant some one can be. I am sure if he did park in front of a Thai owned house some thing would be said but he thinks he can do what he wants because a foreigner lives there knowing nothing can be done about.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

also .... not forgetting,  you actually have another issue ... 

just say by chance or good management you get the car moved ...

now you can access your property garage ...

but,  what will you do to prevent this happening again in a weeks time.    remember that also  !

Edited by steven100

33 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I don’t live in a village to start with, the thing mentioned I have no idea who or what it is.

The tessabaan is the local government and helps settle disputes in their area.

If you aren't willing to assert yourself so you can drive onto your own property, then wow, good luck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

also .... not forgetting,  you actually have another issue ... 

just say by chance or good management you get the car moved ...

now you can access your property garage ...

but,  what will you do to prevent this happening again in a weeks time.    remember that also  !

IF he steps up and manages to resolve this issue... one option would be to place his own cones there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF he steps up and manages to resolve this issue... one option would be to place his own cones there.

I already have a couple tyres ready for his move, it appears round here it’s what people do to reserve their parking place outside their property, people respect it.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, bbko said:

The tessabaan is the local government and helps settle disputes in their area.

If you aren't willing to assert yourself so you can drive onto your own property, then wow, good luck.

If he's unwilling to step up himself, this is another move, but could ultimately back fire as it shows he is weak. 

That said, his wife was hit by different neighbour in a previous house...  that the aggressor is still walking is an indication that the Op is either quite old or is simply very timid and will not face up to any conflict. 

10 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Yes at the old house, my neighbour didn’t like the fact we had initially made a small garden, nothing would grow to the poor soil, so we give up on it. No one owned the land opposite and the ‘garden’ was not opposite his house. He got an old motorbike, some wood and parked the bike and a made a small shed where the garden was. We went on holiday once time and he removed a banana and a papaya tree. 

He distinctly didn’t like foreigners or Thai people from the north, I put it down to envy and jealousy. One evening my wife threw some water on the road, he thought she was throwing it rapt him and he started screaming and shouting abuse at her, she returned his abuse culminating in him assaulting her nearly breaking her wrist.after striking her with a bucket.

I'm just curious Jumbo..  how old are you ?...    no disrespect, if someone hits your wife how can you not respond ?

10 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

My wife is not afraid but apprehensive to go and ask the brother but she  is concerned he might do some thing to our car and get involved on another confrontation.

You're both making decisions based on an imagined worst case scenario reaction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I already have a couple tyres ready for his move, it appears round here it’s what people do to reserve their parking place outside their property, people respect it.

Classy...  I'm getting a better idea of the neighbourhood..   But.. if it works it resolves a further issue.

That said, the guy now thinks the parking space is his...  So IF he drives the car away and returns, he will be offended IF you've claimed his parking space and marked it with your tyres... 

The Option in this case (IMO)... If he drives the car away, park your car there for a few weeks....  and then reclaim with with tyres a little later on.

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If he's unwilling to step up himself, this is another move, but could ultimately back fire as it shows he is weak. 

That said, his wife was hit by different neighbour in a previous house...  that the aggressor is still walking is an indication that the Op is either quite old or is simply very timid and will not face up to any conflict. 

I'm just curious Jumbo..  how old are you ?...    no disrespect, if someone hits your wife how can you not respond ?

You're both making decisions based on an imagined worst case scenario reaction.

Nothing to do with age, in the previous incident the Thai neighbours told me not to get involved as they had called the Police. If I had give the guy a hiding it would been spun round to say foreigner beat man up, then what would that have led to, court case etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Classy...  I'm getting a better idea of the neighbourhood..   But.. if it works it resolves a further issue.

That said, the guy now thinks the parking space is his...  So IF he drives the car away and returns, he will be offended IF you've claimed his parking space and marked it with your tyres... 

The Option in this case (IMO)... If he drives the car away, park your car there for a few weeks....  and then reclaim with with tyres a little later on.

That’s my intention, I don’t use the car on a daily basis only for out of town runs to relatives and days out. I am going to sit it out until that time.

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Nothing to do with age, in the previous incident the Thai neighbours told me not to get involved as they had called the Police. If I had give the guy a hiding it would been spun round to say foreigner beat man up, then what would that have led to, court case etc.

You handled it more maturely and wisely than I would have....   

The keyboard warrior in me would have given the guy a complete hiding and then paid the police off to ignore the issue....   

• Confused 1

Do you mean that it is actually impossible to enter or exit your driveway, or just that it requires an inconvenient maneuver on your part, and you resent the imposition? Have you tried to pull in and out, and what happened when you tried? Thai people are generally pretty reasonable (including off duty cops), and if the car is truly blocking, as opposed to just annoying you, they would understand the dilemma. But if it's just a bit too close for your comfort, but not literally blocking you, then just get over it. If, on the other hand, the neighbors truly dislike your household for some reason, then the unmoved car is a deliberate message that you are unwelcome and should go away.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Do you mean that it is actually impossible to enter or exit your driveway, or just that it requires an inconvenient maneuver on your part, and you resent the imposition? Have you tried to pull in and out, and what happened when you tried? Thai people are generally pretty reasonable (including off duty cops), and if the car is truly blocking, as opposed to just annoying you, they would understand the dilemma. But if it's just a bit too close for your comfort, but not literally blocking you, then just get over it. If, on the other hand, the neighbors truly dislike your household for some reason, then the unmoved car is a deliberate message that you are unwelcome and should go away.

It’s parked 50% in front of mt gate which is a tight squeeze to start with, there a a raised manhole about 18 inches high for the well water which restricts the entrance to start with.

TBH I  don’t always bring the car inside as I was constantly being blocked in by cars but at least I would like to be able to park my car outside my own property and come and go as please.

Edited by Jumbo1968
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I don’t want direct confrontation with a Thai wether officially or unofficially neither does my Thai wife, it could end in a bad way,  we have been down that road before. TBH I am not looking for suggestions or a solution just pointing out how ignorant some one can be. I am sure if he did park in front of a Thai owned house some thing would be said but he thinks he can do what he wants because a foreigner lives there knowing nothing can be done about.

Do you need to give your name and address for an abandoned vehicle complaint? Maybe give a false name and address?

Unfortunately, he knows who you are now. Better to just do it officially from the beginning especially if he looked weird and/or not friendly.

Edited by JimTripper

On 1/31/2024 at 5:45 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

I would do but the brothers car Policeman or ex Policeman is parked there, he is approachable, I got the impression his brother has just turned up.i would approach him but my wife said she will, I won’t hold my breath on that though.  Looking inside the car it looks like he has his worldly possessions in it.

you might want to be cautious, if he has his worldly possessions in it, he might be under a lot of stress and might not act rationally at all times.

5 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Your reply reminds me of years ago when an Australian man engaged in road rage by  getting a machete out of his car's boot and threatening the Thai driver in front of him.     Afte rthe police showed up and the Aussie was talking to the cop, the Thai man came up along side him and cold cocked the life out of the elderly Australian man.     Never saw a follow up to the story but for sure that punch had to hurt if not do permanent damage.

That video came up in my feed again recently. Victim was an older fellow, 70ish, with a Thai daughter (his own biological daughter) aged in her early teens in school. Thai man who hit him was in his 30s by the looks of it.

On 1/31/2024 at 5:57 PM, Sheryl said:

Don't do that, under any circumstances.

They will know it was you.

Even if you were speaking Thai to the fellow, Thais sometimes assume anything coming out of a foreigner's mouth must be not Thai and make no effort to listen. OR, he may have been a subordinate of some type and not in a position to speak for his boss, and certainly not going to ask him for you.

I think only solution is for you to go over to the house yourself and very, very nicely, offer to help them move the car slightly so that your gate is not blocked.

Unless his Thai is poor, then that would make Thais incredibly racist, because it would be the equivalent of refusing to want expats to learn their language even though Thais speak such horrible English that most of us can't understand what language they're trying to speak. 

In my extensive experience, every Thai understands my Thai, because it's native like. It's only when a farang has heavily accented and poor Thai, that it's difficult to understand (and this includes Burmese speakers of Thai for example).

I once told Thai police officers to speak to me in Thai because I don't understand Thais speaking English to me and it was readily accepted. Normally I don't even need to do this, they get it immediately. On that day I was pulled over for attempting to go straight from the right lane.

The only Thais who think they're "too good" to speak Thai to a foreigner in my experience are the highly educated ones, such as university professors who want to show off their English skills, which are sometimes pretty lackluster. These people "pretend" not to hear westerners speak Thai and are secretly racist but don't make a spectacle of it.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

She said you might speak to people like that in England but not in Thailand, I wasn’t aggressive just asked how long was it going to be there for.

and you replied, yes we do, that's how we get things done  :coffee1:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

You forget this is Thailand, I wouldn’t spend any time in a Thai Police cell..

No, I haven't and it seems you know not much about Thai society other than what your wife tells you or other foreigners who don't have a clue.

I have been here a long time, speak the language and work with Thai employees, vendors and customers. I engage with Thai people from average workers to C-level people, business owners of very large companies, police and army staff from a broad range of ranks.

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 7:24 PM, brianthainess said:

My missus would be the one telling them to move it, she has a calm way of saying things that eventually the person she wants to berate starts laughing and complies, I wish I could understand Thai more. If it was a cop he would get the full verbal yak yak, strong she is. 

There is a cop or look alike wanna be, with an unlicensed old beat up cop pick up we see on the ferry she asked him once why no plate "I'm waiting for it to arrive" this has been going on for years, and every time she sees him "Plate still not come yet then?" :cheesy::clap2::cheesy::cheesy:

One Songkran a cop got powder smeared on his face he was lent over a barrel of water  washing it off, she came up behind him and pushed his head under :thumbsup: :cheesy::clap2:

Death Wish II

Great movie! Bronson wasn't it?

• Confused 3