Study Warns of Potential Collapse in Atlantic Ocean System, Signaling Climate Chaos

Social Media

image.png

A recent study has sounded the alarm on the potential collapse of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), a crucial ocean system responsible for regulating global climate. The findings, based on complex computer simulations, suggest that a "cliff-like" tipping point is looming in the future, with catastrophic consequences for weather patterns worldwide.

The AMOC plays a vital role in redistributing heat around the globe, influencing temperatures, ocean currents, and weather systems. However, as Greenland's ice sheet continues to melt due to global warming, the influx of freshwater into the North Atlantic is slowing down this crucial circulation system.

The implications of an AMOC collapse would be profound. Northwestern Europe could face temperature drops of up to 27 degrees Celsius over the decades, while Arctic ice would extend farther south. The Southern Hemisphere could experience intensified heat, global rainfall patterns would shift, and the Amazon rainforest would be disrupted. The ripple effects would cause worldwide food and water shortages, turning the nightmare scenario depicted in "The Day After Tomorrow" into a potential reality.

Lead author of the study, Rene van Westen, emphasizes that while the collapse may still be decades away, it could happen sooner than previously thought, especially with the accelerating pace of climate change. The rate of climate change induced by human activities is a critical factor in determining the timeline of this impending catastrophe.

While some experts, including the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, have downplayed the likelihood of a collapse before 2100, the new study raises concerns about the urgency of addressing this issue. Stefan Rahmstorf, from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Research, warns that ignoring the risk of an AMOC collapse would be perilous.

The study underscores the need for increased monitoring and understanding of the AMOC's stability. Despite signs of past collapses, predicting the exact timing and consequences of future changes remains uncertain. However, the study's findings highlight the importance of taking decisive action to mitigate climate change and prevent potential catastrophes.

While the prospect of an AMOC collapse is daunting, it is essential to address immediate climate challenges, such as rising temperatures and extreme weather events. Joel Hirschi, from the United Kingdom's National Oceanography Centre, emphasizes the urgency of addressing ongoing warming trends that are already impacting society.

In the face of these warnings, global attention and concerted action are needed to safeguard the stability of Earth's climate systems and protect the future of our planet.

Source

image.png

So the Europeans will be fleeing south towards the tropics.

Headline news: "Gulf Stream failure solves Thailand's falling population problem".

Later headline: "Population replacement: Civil war in Thailand".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

You will. I identify as immortal. Kidding.

I meant not as we here, but as a human race. But good point.

Billions will die, in the technically advanced nations a few million will survive as well as in some African countries. Mankind has suffered worse, the younger Dryas and the volcanoes in the Russian traps but a small number has always pulled through and it was small as witnessed by the very small genetic diversity in the human race, there is more genetic diversity in one group of chimpanzees than among mankind, I believe the bottleneck of survivors consisted of a few hundred people in India.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Billions will die, in the technically advanced nations a few million will survive as well as in some African countries. Mankind has suffered worse, the younger Dryas and the volcanoes in the Russian traps but a small number has always pulled through and it was small as witnessed by the very small genetic diversity in the human race, there is more genetic diversity in one group of chimpanzees than among mankind, I believe the bottleneck of survivors consisted of a few hundred people in India.

That was the supervolcano eruption that blew a hole in the earth which is now Lake Toba, on the island of Sumatra, some 74,000 years ago. Only a few hundred people, maybe a couple thousand at the most, survived the  1,000 year winter that followed the eruption. 
There’s another supervolcano under Yellowstone Park, which is starting to show signs of becoming active again. It would sure mess up my retirement if that one erupted any time soon.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

However, it's more important to build missiles, drones, tanks, just to eradicate each other.

And if this is not enough mother nature will fight back.

i read your post 6 x and it is still nonsense. fight back what/who?

3 hours ago, milesinnz said:

This news is about 20 years old (there were documentaries about it).. sure, maybe the time is arriving when things will change.. but then maybe not... time of another study, and another, and another...

Actually if you go back to the 1920's there was a similar report in one of the top US newspapers, NY Times I think.

Sorry but not interested enough to look it up for you.

We are not responsible, it is not our fault, the earth is simply too large, the oceans are simply too vast for us to have any effect on them. Stop blaming us, it is not our fault.

I don't want to change my habits, I don't want to be responsible, I don't want to accept blame, I want to continue ignoring the warnings, so stop showing me this stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Too many people on this planet.

Happily we still have wars and otherwise we invent viruses. Corona already did some part too, but still not great.

Already had HIV, SARS , MERS and Africa ebola, but little effect.

In mean time a year passed, meaning another 9 million TONS of plastic dumped into the oceans.

2023 6,6 million hectare of forest gone.

In 20 years earth tilted 31.5 inches (red), so also changing climate?

It is all and and and.

So cut down on people. It is like that.

But no, as more people means bigger profit (economic system), so carry on, or not?

♬we are on a road to nowhere ♬

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

"The Dutch team simulated 2,200 years of its flow, adding in what human-caused climate change does to it. They found after 1,750 years "an abrupt AMOC collapse," .... but so far are unable to translate that simulated timeline to Earth's real future .... Key to monitoring what happens is a complicated measurement of flow around the tip of Africa. The more negative that measurement, the slower AMOC runs."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

OK, so something might happen, sometime in the future ... got it.

Hope they didn't pay a lot for their education to come up with that one :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the other hand:

Climate Model Criticized for Unrealistic Scenarios, Raises Awareness of Potential Impact

A recent climate model predicting a collapse of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), triggering a new ice age, has stirred debate among scientists. The Dutch team from Utrecht University published their work, suggesting that the AMOC could reach a tipping point, leading to severe consequences for the climate system and humanity. However, British scientists have criticized the study for relying on unrealistic scenarios that do not align with actual climate conditions.

https://isp.today/climate-model-criticized-for-unrealistic-scenarios-raises-awareness-of-potential-impact/

The Carbon Brief Interview: Prof Jonathan Bamber

https://www.carbonbrief.org/the-carbon-brief-interview-prof-jonathan-bamber/

• Haha 1

Even if incontrovertible proof was found that climate change is definitely caused by humans, and it will destroy our way of life - possibly killing us all, nothing would be done.  It's the nature of the beast.  Tell the average 20 year old that he should stop smoking, cut down on drinking, eat less fatty food and exercise more in order to preserve his health through to his older years and will he listen, let alone follow your advice?  If we won't even take action now to save our own bodies later, we're certainly not going to change our lifestyles now to save a bunch of other people in the future.  We'd rather live in the moment, have our fun and hang the consequences.  Sad as it is, unless changes are forced on us - which would no doubt lead to protests and rioting, they're not going to happen.

• Agree 1