How often do you eat Thai Food?

-And where do you have it, and what do you eat?

Me:

-About twice a week

-Ging Grai Restaurant in Chiang Mai, Nimman Khao Soi, food court of Nimman1 mall.

-Pad Thai at Ging Grai îs a must order. With an Issan style petrified crab som tum.

Never wowed by Penang Curry, but I keep ordering it. I think I like Red Curry the best, but I never order it.

Pork leg stew (called Burmese Pork Leg Stew in Chiang Mai) is my food court go-to. Or Duck Noodles.

About 60 -70% of the time. The rest of the time I cook for myself.

I have tried cooking Thai food for myself, just too fiddly. IME the preparation time outweighs the cooking time. Easier to pay instead.

For us every day ,the wife is a good cook, a lot of fish dishes, living in the sticks a bit limited on farang food.

But we often have Chile con carne with baked spuds, makes  a change, and I do like my own bread and home make marmalade for breakfast, a bit of both worlds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day begins with double espresso each for b/f & me. Then 2 or 3 times a week for brunch to PTT here in Prasat where my favourite is beef laab with papaya salad & mint & kale. I have that almost every time, but varied in the few days of 'cold' weather when I have a large soup. Also occasionally I need to have beef, rice & 2 eggs at the stall next door to keep the lady there happy. When going to BKK Bank we eat next door, usually noodles with beef etc + 2 scrambled eggs. If I'm preparing brunch only for me at home it'll be Western-style healthy - lots of blueberries, strawberries, poached eggs on rye toast ... Always followed by single espresso for b/f & me.

Once a month when we go to the outskirts of Surin city for Tops and coffee beans, we brunch at a variety of Thai & Chinese restaurants. Yesterday we did a large pizza - or rather I did & b/f ate more or less à la thalandaise.

Evenings I cook for myself - Western-style healthy with plenty of vegs, & salmon a favourite. B/f eats at the family farm where he cooks for his aged parents before returning home for our 3rd espresso of the day.

Edited by mfd101
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thai and Northern Thai food more than 90% of the time.  Either out and about town, or whatever the good lady puts in front of me (except stinky crab / shrimp / fish items).  I go out to eat "farang food" once or twice a week.   Usually on days where I'm craving big protein after exercise.

Almost every day.Wife is a very good cook and knows just how to use the spices. as a result I very rarely have to complain about it being too spicy.However she does by in Khao Soi and Pad Thai.

9 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

Thai and Northern Thai food more than 90% of the time.  

I live around the corner from this place, working hard towards getting their Michelin star.

N.Thai food is the most meat-heavy thai food, so I don't eat it a lot. But twice a year, we will wait on line here (there's always a line).

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nothing Thai this month,

Gammon, pizza, bacon and eggs, fried chicken, fish fingers, chips, toasted cheese, zinger burgers ...,..

Just had chicken jalfrezi + naan bread.

You must be rich. But joke aside I don't eat Thai food as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Never. I no longer find it appealing and I can't stomach chillies. I know that there are many dishes that are not chilli-laden but I couldn't be bothered ferreting them out. 

I do like the look of that Chiang Mai restaurant though, might have to trek up there from "KTM" one day to try it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Non Western food, not that often, maybe 25% of.  Not a fan of rice, so when I do, it's usually a fusion if calling for rice.  Non Western doesn't mean Thai, as also eat Malay, Korea, Japanese, and mostly curries of all.

Usually at home, as restaurant choice are limited here, as prefer AC, and few locally.   Eat more Thai, non Western when O&A.   

The best Thai food I had recently was near Nan, halfway to Pua. The food was outstanding with a view and cheap prices. It put the Michelin Star place to shame at half the price. Makes me think the people giving out Michelin Stars have no idea. Probably more to do with who you know than the actual food.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, uttradit said:

The best Thai food I had recently was near Nan, halfway to Pua. It put the Michelin Star place to shame at half the price. 

You should be writing detailed reviews on various platforms to support a place you loved eating at. There are so few. That's the foundation that creates a Michelin visit. People in my neighborhood are obsessive about  Ging Grei and Tong Ten Toh. We root for them like they're Bon Jovi still playing in bars. 

In the Nimman1 Mall, there's a couple of 2 star restaurants. They're not super-fancy, they're not super-great. They're a bit innovative and flawlessly executed. A Michelin star means just that: food people love the place and you'll see a new thing or two on the menu.

The diff between a C restaurant and a B is great. The diff between A- and an A is much greater. I've eaten a few hundred pad Thai's, but there's only one place where I ordered it 10 times. Food can be judged semi-objectively, like it is on cooking shows.

I bought the Northern Thai cook book mainly to read about the places. And I did pop into a few BBQ shacks in Phrae. Value for the money for reasonable food. I payed B prices to eat B food.

But it's eating, not dining. Great to dip in at some Khao Soi shrine off the highway, but people who went to cooking school will always make better noodles.