Did you know that a Christian organisation has rented a shop next to the bars soi 6 pattaya

advancebooking

I live next door to a Catholic organisation in Naklua 25. They say it's a refuge for women from broken relationships. They also say they teach them skills especially improving their English. I lived there for 8 years and I've never heard one word of English spoken. Instead of training to be good Catholics they make more noise than pre pubescent girls. Maybe I'm lucky because if God is taking good care of them, then he's only next door so he can take good care of me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:27 PM, retarius said:

Are they really Christian in terms of following Jesus' message and philosophy, or bible thumping bigots who would have condemned Mary Magdalen? 

Like the ones who ran the Magdalen Laundries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, retarius said:

Pests. Isn't it illegal to try to convert Buddhists to another religion? IF it is not, it should be. Ban all missionaries, I say.

Buddhists are open for other religions. Only Christians, Muslime or Jewish do not allow to believe to another God.

But Buddha isn't even a God. Buddhism is a Philosophie, not a religion, nor do they have a God.

So What?

You can be both at the same time. No converts necessary

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:27 PM, retarius said:

Are they really Christian in terms of following Jesus' message and philosophy, or bible thumping bigots who would have condemned Mary Magdalen? 

Mmmm,

Well, there are plenty of Mary Magdalens down there to condemn.

3 hours ago, ThaiBeachLover said:

Buddhists are open for other religions. Only Christians, Muslime or Jewish do not allow to believe to another God.

But Buddha isn't even a God. Buddhism is a Philosophie, not a religion, nor do they have a God.

So What?

Most Thais haven't a clue about who they are praying to, for, where the Buddha comes from.

Neither are they interested in it as a philosophy.

Very few understand the meanings of Buddhism, and they have bastardized it to mean what they want it to mean............... A bit like Christianity and Islam....🤣

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

I dunno, the truest missionaries and church outfits minister to the poorest and neediest.

Outfits like the Salvation Army are always located in Skid Row and serve the homeless, drunks, and druggies by providing meals and beds.  

Or you'd prefer preachers wearing Rolexes?

The ones with the Rolexes are the ones laying down the grift to the congregations and shoveling in the cash.  And you can be sure they are quite tight-fisted in supporting the volunteers that go out into the world to convert the savages (sarcasm alert).  They are a part of modern American culture, unfortunately. 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1330222/televangelist-pastor-worth-760-million-flips-out-on-reporter-says-he-bought-tyler-perrys-private-jet-with-church-funds-because-commercial-airlines-are-full-of-demons

In my childhood years there was a guy named Reverend Ike, and he was openly all about the $$$.   "God is green!" was his slogan (for those unfamiliar, the US dollar is sometimes called the greenback). 

For a satirical perspective there is a television series called The Righteous Gemstones. 

The Salvation Army and other such orgs provide for the poor (the ones who approach them), but they make them listen to sermons and sing hymns in exchange for the help and shelter. 

5 hours ago, ThaiBeachLover said:

So What?

Several years ago I seen a documentary about Buddhism including an interview with  Dalai Lama. He was very cheerful answering questions regarding Buddhism. Then comes the question, what's your opinion of Thai Buddhism. He replied let's leave that one alone, next question please.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bendejo said:

The ones with the Rolexes are the ones laying down the grift to the congregations and shoveling in the cash.  And you can be sure they are quite tight-fisted in supporting the volunteers that go out into the world to convert the savages (sarcasm alert).  They are a part of modern American culture, unfortunately. 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1330222/televangelist-pastor-worth-760-million-flips-out-on-reporter-says-he-bought-tyler-perrys-private-jet-with-church-funds-because-commercial-airlines-are-full-of-demons

In my childhood years there was a guy named Reverend Ike, and he was openly all about the $$$.   "God is green!" was his slogan (for those unfamiliar, the US dollar is sometimes called the greenback). 

For a satirical perspective there is a television series called The Righteous Gemstones. 

The Salvation Army and other such orgs provide for the poor (the ones who approach them), but they make them listen to sermons and sing hymns in exchange for the help and shelter. 

Decades back I had to enter compulsory conscription, do basic training and then I went to the war in Vietnam.

The rookie camp had a chaplain (Church of England guy), never spent any time with the young recruits but during the 1 X 1 hr compulsory lecture he repeated many times:

- I am your friend, I am your friend

- God / Jesus / 1 (the chaplain) will protect you and not allow you to get killed or injuries.

After that 1 lecture we never saw him again.

But our rookie camp platoon commander was a Lieutenant who had just returned from VN on completion of his tour of duty. A couple of days after the 1 hr one off lecture by the chaplain the Lieutenant mention that the chaplain had not been honest, he said 'There is serious danger when you go to VN, soldiers get killed and wounded, lose limbs etc., every day'. Please always listen carefully to your instructions from your platoon / section leaders and follow those instructions and always work as a team. 

On the other hand, many times when we finished long training marches / runs / strategy exercises / equipment practice etc., at the end suddenly a short based Land Rover would appear with a giant urn of hot sweet tea and trays of freshly cut sandwiches. 

The guy bringing the tea wore a basic army uniform with Salvo insignia on the sleeves. He never once handed out religious brochures and never gave sermons.

He did quietly ask:

- If any recruits had any mail to be sent home, a couple of times he took letters and then took them to the army post office and posted them.

- if any soldiers needed help to write home. Quite a few times a recruit would say yes. The Salvo guy would quietly ake the recruit boy to the side and give him a clipboard with about 10 opening paragraphs and also give the boy another clipboard with blank lined paper and an envelope. The Salvo guy would say 'You try to start a letter then I will sit with you and help you write more'. 

- The Salvo guy also discreetly ask if any recruits had family problems at home. Some said YES, he would take them aside and ten go to one of the training corporals to agree a time / place where the recruit could meet the Salvo guy in the evening. Several time the result was either the Salvo organization or another mainstream help organization would quickly contact the family and really help them to get into a better situation.

- Never once did the Salvo guy ask for money.

I have no respect for the mainstream christian churches, but I do have much respect for the Salvos and their activities with soldiers and since those days I have given an annual worthwhile donation to them. 

rec

• Thumbs Up 1

They've taken on a tough task, especially on that street! Between the girls being Buddhist and the farangs wanting alcohol and Thai pussy, can't see them making much headway! They really don't have much to offer the people that frequent that soi!

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Decades back I had to enter compulsory conscription, do basic training and then I went to the war in Vietnam.

The rookie camp had a chaplain (Church of England guy), never spent any time with the young recruits but during the 1 X 1 hr compulsory lecture he repeated many times:

- I am your friend, I am your friend

- God / Jesus / 1 (the chaplain) will protect you and not allow you to get killed or injuries.

After that 1 lecture we never saw him again.

But our rookie camp platoon commander was a Lieutenant who had just returned from VN on completion of his tour of duty. A couple of days after the 1 hr one off lecture by the chaplain the Lieutenant mention that the chaplain had not been honest, he said 'There is serious danger when you go to VN, soldiers get killed and wounded, lose limbs etc., every day'. Please always listen carefully to your instructions from your platoon / section leaders and follow those instructions and always work as a team. 

On the other hand, many times when we finished long training marches / runs / strategy exercises / equipment practice etc., at the end suddenly a short based Land Rover would appear with a giant urn of hot sweet tea and trays of freshly cut sandwiches. 

The guy bringing the tea wore a basic army uniform with Salvo insignia on the sleeves. He never once handed out religious brochures and never gave sermons.

He did quietly ask:

- If any recruits had any mail to be sent home, a couple of times he took letters and then took them to the army post office and posted them.

- He also quietly asked if any soldiers needed help to write home. Quite a few times a recruit would say yes. The Salvo guy would quietly ake the recruit boy to the side and give him a clipboard with about 10 opening paragraphs and also give the boy another clipboard with blank lined paper and an envelope. The Salvo guy would say 'You try to start a letter then I will sit with you and help you write more'. 

- The Salvo guy also discreetly ask if any recruits had family problems at home. Some said YES, he would take them aside and then quickly go to one of the training corporals to agree a time / place where the recruit could meet the Salvo guy in the evening. Several time the result was either the Salvo organization or another mainstream help organization would quickly contact the family and really help them to get into a better situation.

- Never once did the Salvo guy ask for money.

I have no respect for the mainstream christian churches, but I do have much respect for the Salvos and their activities with soldiers and since those days I have given an annual worthwhile donation to them. 

Correction:

I wrote: "God / Jesus / 1 (the chaplain) will protect you and not allow you to get killed or injuries."  The 1 (one) is obviously incorrect and should be I (as in me, pronoun). My error and apologies.

Edited by scorecard

On 2/18/2024 at 2:23 AM, HalAndLois said:

You do realize that the non-missionaries in this picture didn't develop writing, agriculture, domesticated animals, sails, medicine, like anything.  Peoples all over the world looked at the stars at night and from that developed math and science.  Not so in this picture.  Watch Mel Gibson's movie

Apokalypto for a view of the best civilization man could develop in the absence of God.  So while a particular criticism may be valid, it has to be considered in light of the available alternatives or, as Churchill said, "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."  

I'm still puzzling over this response.

The 'picture' is a cartoon with generic natives, so I have no idea as to whether they were literate farmers or not.

As for Mel Gibson's Apokalypto, a portrayal of Mayan society directed by a rabid Catholic. The Mayan civilization did have gods, they built great pyramidal temples to them, they had agriculture, animal husbandry, were literate, numerate, well organised with a civil society. Though, I'm guessing from your capitalisation of god and it being singular, not your god, and there's the rub. The most common reason for bloodshed throughout human history is religion, born out a belief that my god(s) are better than you god(s). The Mayan civilization was one of several destroyed by the arrival of the Conquistadors and their religion.

The world would be far better for having no gods to spill blood for.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Plenty of souls need saving in that street...

I wish them well but it won't make a jot of difference.

They are offering solace to the many, who, maybe did not lose the girl, simply lost their turn. 

Comments about morality here seem to be from a western culture, the attitude towards sex in Thailand is completely different, read John Burdett, I quoute "Sex in Thailand is like scratching an itch" when you learn that, you may understand more.