Delivery rider helps himself to water dispenser in Thai restaurant

webfact

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems to me that job is about as low as it gets. If you don't get any other job, do that one.

I don't expect anything from those guys. 

Many of them are utterly stupid. 

Glad to see that your high regard for the Thai "man in the street" extends beyond politics!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoner said:

i think there is something lost in translation here. the pic clearly shows the driver dispensing from a coke dispenser not water. water does cost them something ? it may be only a fraction of a satang but last i looked most places had to pay for water service. 

ill go with what it plainly looks like. a driver helping himself to a free coke. until proven otherwise i think the term nam is being lost in translation. 

now had the driver said....

p kap can i grab a little water from the dispenser.... might of changed everything.

Many of the soda dispensers have a side tab for water. That is likely what he was getting. 

• Like 1

Considering what some farangs pay money to put their lips on in Thailand, it's no surprise they'd be unbothered by this driver's grimy bottle being on the drink dispenser.  Probably the same ones that take their dirty plate back to the buffett line and grab food with their hands. 

• Haha 1

Theres a bunch of those guys hang out at the local Pizza Company resturant near my place for the air con .That's cool but they're pretty dirty and  always leave the toilets and washbasins filthy,stinking ,and unusable for patrons.The Pizza Co.staff must be really pissed off trying to keep the place clean .

Edited by findlay13

..    filling a beverage ..of ??  without permission 

using a second had / used cup and probably wiping the dribble ladden edges on the spout

and most important ..   his paternal parent is probably a police chief ..  which makes it  "OK"  ( sick sick sick )

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HugoFastor said:

Thank goodness the driver got the fluids he needed to replenish his body. There is a reasonable chance he was dehydrated from driving around under the hot sun in a nylon jacket making deliveries. They should be thankful he didn't collapse on the floor from lack of water, thus causing a greater disruption. 

Does Coca Cola do much for rehydration ?

• Sad 1

Nobody will ever challenge the image of a hardworking delivery man who is thirsty and deserves full respect and empathy.

But what creates uproar is the manner of taking other people's property for granted. The sense of entitlement to use other peoples property without even asking. People are just fed up with such behaviour in Thailand.

Say you have some people doing work in your home or condo, would you like to see them take their usual 40 minute after-lunch-nap on your bed or sofa without even caring to ask ?

As it happened once on my property and of course the next day the sleepy chap was paid off and out of the premises.

11 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Does water normally come from the CocaCola dispenser?

The CocaCola company syphons off water from communities around the world, as you may know, leaving some communities without sufficient water.

I once thought of doing a PhD on this types of local water source depletion caused by corporations.

However, I decided against writing this thesis, simply because, personally, I have enough water for my own needs.

As to the guy who needed a drink of water......?

It's a sorry commentary on our world when a man cannot get a drink when needed.

(You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.  And, where there is water, a parched man will do almost anything to quench his thirst.)

Who ever heard of denying a person, a human being, a drink of water?

Such a very terrible world ours has obviously become.

Glad I will be departing, just as soon as I have made preparations to rise up to be with Kurt Vonnegut, in due course, when the time is appropriate.  Shame on anyone who would deny a hardworking motorbike delivery person either a drink of water, or a toilet, afterwards, when needed!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems to me that job is about as low as it gets. If you don't get any other job, do that one.

I don't expect anything from those guys. 

Many of them are utterly stupid. 

Apart from your disgusting condescending attitude, what you say is pure nonsense. Delivery people own motorcycles and phones, which puts them above "as low as it gets". Your comment is "as low as it gets" IMO.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

If I walk into KFC and order a meal in most places the price will include free refills of coke/lemon tea/etc.

If I order a KFC meal on Grab, and my win rider pours himself a coke/lemon tea while he waits for my order, then fills a second cup to bring home for me, what harm has been done?

I just hope he got a new straw.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems to me that job is about as low as it gets.

that's why it deserves respect. these riders do this job because people are too lazy to get off their asses. they should be offered drinking water.

Edited by orchis
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

reported to officers that he was hired by a Thai man to deliver a watch to a recipient at the Maitria Hotel in the Rama 9 district of Bangkok but found that the parcel was packed with drugs instead of the watch.

How does a delivery driver find drugs and not a watch?

He must have been really ticked off, thought he was the proud owner of a new watch but the parcel only had some white powder. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

3 hours ago, orchis said:

that's why it deserves respect. these riders do this job because people are too lazy to get off their asses. they should be offered drinking water.

I have no problem if they drink water of coke from such machine. It costs basically nothing for the restaurant and helps the drivers through the day. 

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Apart from your disgusting condescending attitude, what you say is pure nonsense. Delivery people own motorcycles and phones, which puts them above "as low as it gets". Your comment is "as low as it gets" IMO.

But many are utterly stupid. Not all, but many.

Are you one of those woke worriers who don't want to hear the truth anymore?

• Haha 1

Has anyone found the original post with the real picture... this forum is notorious for posting any stock photo with a story... if he indeed were stealing coca-cola no matter what the cost that is not the right thing to do... if it was helping himself to some water than he should have asked first, but that good behavior is not being taught anymore.

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The CocaCola company syphons off water from communities around the world, as you may know, leaving some communities without sufficient water.

I once thought of doing a PhD on this types of local water source depletion caused by corporations.

However, I decided against writing this thesis, simply because, personally, I have enough water for my own needs.

As to the guy who needed a drink of water......?

It's a sorry commentary on our world when a man cannot get a drink when needed.

(You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.  And, where there is water, a parched man will do almost anything to quench his thirst.)

Who ever heard of denying a person, a human being, a drink of water?

Such a very terrible world ours has obviously become.

Glad I will be departing, just as soon as I have made preparations to rise up to be with Kurt Vonnegut, in due course, when the time is appropriate.  Shame on anyone who would deny a hardworking motorbike delivery person either a drink of water, or a toilet, afterwards, when needed!

He wasn't being denied a drink of water he was asked by KFC not to refill his drinks bottle with CocaCola from their machine from which their customers have to purchase if they want a drink.

5 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

He wasn't being denied a drink of water he was asked by KFC not to refill his drinks bottle with CocaCola from their machine from which their customers have to purchase if they want a drink.

Well, anyway.

Coke is full of sugar...

So, no worries.

This guy will get his just deserts in the end....

For sure.

Also, the raw ingredients for the stuff coming out of those soda machines is probably dirt cheap.

Nothing but some sort of sugar and carbon-dioxide.

Today, we have too much CO2, anyway.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:12 PM, Gottfrid said:

Sorry, but you do not understand business laws. For KFC to operate in Thailand they must open a subdivision/subsidiary. Something that makes the part of the company incorporated in Thailand, standing under Thai law as well as registered in Thailand. All that will make KFC Thailand a Thai company.

Yeah the Thailand KFC Franchises are owned by Thai companies.

25 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Burger King gives free top ups. But you are supposed to order a drink or meal first. That syrup stuff only costs about 0.5 baht per cup to make.

How much is it at KFC... given that is the food joint in question ?

I suspect he is only getting water as that's what the story indicates.  The Coca Cola tap may be empty and therefore only water will dispense..

The netizen or Thai who took the photo should mind their own business instead of worrying what others are doing.

They are real sticky beaks ....    they just can't help themselves.