I'm finally quiting baked beans, price is ridiculous

I quit buying tins of beans long time ago, though not the biggest fan of.  Now just buy the dried beans and make our own.   With all the beans we cook, mostly soybeans (natto), and black eye beans, you think she would want a pressure cooler ... nope.

@scubascuba3

Butter, buy by 5 kg box, much cheaper, and cheese, also bulk, though only mozzarella & parmesan (healthier), cut out the American & cheddar.  Less on the cheeses, as don't make as many pizzas at home as use to.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

In the 70's and 80's there was a company that did a train run to Penang weekly to collect groceries from Penang, primarily to service restaurant owners in Pattaya of Western items unavailable locally. Unfortunately to to the rising standard of living in Malaysia this service lost it's cost advantage. As a 450 g tin of baked beans is available today at the equivalent of 34 baht in Malaysia, perhaps the service could be restarted. Today I spent 1550 baht in Big C. Exactly the same items in Cold Storage Singapore would be 1400 baht. In Lotus Malaysia it was 1360 baht. In Asda UK it was 998 baht using current exchange rates.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I may just have a go at making myself, yours look good

These are the beans you want. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4379451736-s17445655234.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=702424757429671&tradeOrderLineId=702424757529671&spm=spm%3Da2o42.order_details.item_title.1

This is the recipe i use.

they also freeze very well.

also make my own chicken stock. go easy on the Worcestershire sauce, a little at a time.

Don't add the water unless needed.

chick 1.JPG

Edited by quake
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

In the 70's and 80's there was a company that did a train run to Penang weekly to collect groceries from Penang, primarily to service restaurant owners in Pattaya of Western items unavailable locally. Unfortunately to to the rising standard of living in Malaysia this service lost it's cost advantage. As a 450 g tin of baked beans is available today at the equivalent of 34 baht in Malaysia, perhaps the service could be restarted. Today I spent 1550 baht in Big C. Exactly the same items in Cold Storage Singapore would be 1400 baht. In Lotus Malaysia it was 1360 baht. In Asda UK it was 998 baht using current exchange rates.

Good regional and UK cost comparison, but you need to factor in travel costs if you really, really, REALLY need to go get some baked beans.

But whoever you chose to fly with to Asda, don't fly Austrian. They are absolutely bloody awful!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sungod said:

The day I cant afford a tin of baked beans..........

very wealthy man it seems, at what price wouldn't you buy beans? 200 baht? it's all about price elasticity, where it's just not worth it anymore

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

very wealthy man it seems, at what price wouldn't you buy beans? 200 baht? it's all about price elasticity, where it's just not worth it anymore

Not sure how you would measure wealth in relation to baked beans? However I do prefer to live a little rather than survive and worry about the price of a tin of beans.

As long as you got enough for a few changs and a legover I'm sure life is good.

Right, I'm off to Siamburies, Branston baked beans are 69 baht a tin!

Edited by sungod

33 minutes ago, bob smith said:

i’ve just had beans on toast..

my farts stink to high heaven!

bob.

Why do you think anybody is interested in that?

Just advertising that you are a teenager or below in mentality?

• Like 1

I picked up some of them beans yesterday at Makro, but I never looked at the price and the midget paid at the checkout knowing her she will still have the receipt, 

Some things in Makro are not cheap usually on a Sunday we go to both Makro and Tops, one thing I did notice the beer was only 2 baht cheaper, 

In Tops yesterday 20 baht off HP sauce, thats the first time I have bought it for a while, 

The midget walks around with the app open for Tops when we are in Makro, Nescafe is cheaper in Tops, 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

You're starting to make me miss home.  I can't wait to get a double helping of New Orleans red beans and rice with a link or two of grilled andouille.

Thai “Sai oo-wa” sausage is strongly reminiscent of andouille. I don’t know if you’ve tried it. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

First i quit cheese then butter because price silly, but that's ok as they make you fat. Now bakes bean Ayam brand jumped to 169 for three from 135 at Macro, just not worth it anymore. As a comparison in Tesco UK a large tin is 45p

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-27-55-322_com.makromangoapp.production.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-28-16-051_com.android.chrome.jpg

I just checked our bill from yesterday, Thats hell of a jump in price, It seems to me they are not filling up the can, 

Edited by ChipButty

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Sadly, I remember when TVF was full of helpful posters suggesting ways around visa restrictions.  Cheapest border runs, most helpful schools for an ED, easiest border to cross... 

Nowadays, AN seems full of guys who would gladly help Immigration round them up.

Back on topic...  Home made baked beans:

beans.jpg.82c4652f9ddf87f893f51062056cbfc0.jpg

Or you can pay more for the slop from a can.

That looks tasty I could eat that, her in doors can make that, 

In related news, scientists have reported unexpected healing of the ozone layer above the OP's house. Recorded levels of methane dropped dramatically recently and they are investigating the reason...

• Haha 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Bet a pack of Chang or Leo is still within his budget.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dick turpin said:

Bet a pack of Chang or Leo is still within his budget.

Thats why we like to save money on other things so we can buy the beers, but you have to admit a jump of 23 baht a can is to much, 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are quite a few products I've jettisoned over the last couple of years because the prices have simply gotten stupid.  Soft drinks like coke and pepsi for one.  When I compares prices of things when I first arrived in 2007 to now?  When prices get close to doubling it's time to quit paying for excessive corporate profits.  Baked beans - I stopped buying those too.  I found I can make some pretty tasty dishes with dried beans (white, red, pinto, kidney) and a good pressure cooker and some imagination.  So regarding corporate processed food products?  Their loss as they price their produces out of the range I'm willing to pay. Not that I can't pay (I can), as I still buy olive oil which is getting stupid too, but it is one of the product I use in cooking where I'll splurge. On the flip-side, I eat a whole lot healthier as local fruit and produce out here in the rural boondocks haven't been jacked up to the stratospheric prices that you see in grocery stores and cities.  The locals would stop buying and just plant them themselves and sell the surplus - which by the way, keeps the local prices in check.  In 2007 you could find shops out here selling noodles of 20 THB.  You can find shops selling noodles for 20 THB now. 

Edited by connda
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I just checked our bill from yesterday, Thats hell of a jump in price, It seems to me they are not filling up the can, 

Shinkflation.  That's another reason I stopped buying soft drinks (and other products as well).  When they only fill the bottles 70% full with 30% empty plastic?  And then raise their prices to boot?  No wonder the world is floating in plastic - corporation don't give a rip.  I've become part of the solution and just stopped buying their cr*p. 

• Thumbs Up 1