Health Ministry approves medical use of opium and magic mushrooms

webfact

Just now, Bday Prang said:

plenty of nasal sprays available that will clear a stuffy nose far better than Pseudoephedrine,  Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride is the common active ingredient.  Never heard of "vicks sinex"     ?

Wow, Thanks Doctor Prang!  
I was just born yesterday so obviously don't know anything about anything.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Are these going to be approved for "medical use" in the same way weed is? Or will this be for hospital administration only?

Asking for a friend, of course...

they are only approved for "medical treatment and research"  it states that quite clearly in the OP   or so I thought

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, action said:

I was just born yesterday so obviously don't know anything about anything

that would explain why you sought Pseudoephedrine for a runny nose 

But be aware nasal sprays are not generally suitable for those under 3 years of age

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, action said:

Neither does Vicks Sinex

The correct response from you would have started with the words " thank you for the advice" 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

what on earth are you talking about?   I thought the article was perfectly clear , what part of "for medical treatment and research" do you not understand?

Exactly.. Ganga approval was same same! 555

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The policy shift, revealed in the Royal Gazette, came into effect immediately under Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew's signature.

Random thoughts...

Cholnan is said to be being removed as Minister of Public Health in an expected cabinet reshuffle. Interesting that he took such quick and decisive action on this. Was there any public/professional input requested/considered for this change?

Who/which organizations of health-care providers were agitating for this change?

For cannabis, there was a 120 day waiting period from Gazetting. This change is "immediate". Curious.

Which treatment(s) are being considered for these two substances?

Who will be doing any "research"?

Who will produce the "mushrooms"?

Who will produce the opium? How would it be consumed?

3 hours ago, cookie1974 said:

Thailand is turning into a narco state who the hell thinks up these things do they have any idea of the consequences??

You're joking, of course ?

Well - if this isn't a latent "April Fools" joke, then it is a positive for Thailand's abyssal lack of effective palliative care for cancer patients and others suffering end-of-life maladies. But then again, a signature on a piece of paper doesn't equate to the implementation of compassionate palliative care.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Does this possibly mean a relaxing of the rules for hospitals using morphine, codeine or Oxycodone as pain relievers? It's my understanding they were very hesitant to use them even in the most legit cases.

I have had no trouble getting prescription morphine for chronic cancer pain from a reputable hospital!

• Thumbs Up 1

After the farcical decriminalization of weed by Mr Anutin and the ministry of health  this sounds like a brilliant idea, how about getting that mess sorted first  

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Does this possibly mean a relaxing of the rules for hospitals using morphine, codeine or Oxycodone as pain relievers? It's my understanding they were very hesitant to use them even in the most legit cases.

Palliative care is in the stone-age here in Thailand.  Thai medical "authorities" view on the subject of pain medication is that if you haven't developed Buddha-like abilities to sit in pain-free samadhi, then it's your bad karma to suffer in pain and agony.  So they have to keep pain meds away for the public - you know - like people dying of stage 4 cancer or those suffering with kidney stones.  Someone might "abuse" the medicines so everyone needs to be kept from using them.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

Exactly.. Ganga approval was same same! 555

No it wasn't ! What on earth are you talking about. Try  reading the article, specifically the bit where it says...." Opium and psilocybin mushrooms, known for their hallucinogenic effects, are now classified as Category 5 narcotics, differentiating them from marijuana and hemp extracts."

Cannabis was removed from the category 5 narcotics list, these two substances are now classified as such.   it really isn't difficult to understand if you just read what's written and don't try to add your own personal take on things  

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Palliative care is in the stone-age here in Thailand.  Thai medical "authorities" view on the subject of pain medication is that if you haven't developed Buddha-like abilities to sit in pain-free samadhi, then it's your bad karma to suffer in pain and agony.  So they have to keep pain meds away for the public - you know - like people dying of stage 4 cancer or those suffering with kidney stones.  Someone might "abuse" the medicines so everyone needs to be kept from using them.

I'm not so sure that's strictly correct, Around 10 years ago I suffered kidney stones. the pain was intense, the first thing they did on my arrival at hospital after checking my blood pressure and taking my temperature was to give me an injection for the pain.  Not sure what it was but it certainly worked and as a bonus left me feeling high as a kite,   

Maybe the fact that it was a private hospital had something to do with it, not sure what a government hospital would do 

Edited by Bday Prang

3 hours ago, cookie1974 said:

Thailand is turning into a narco state who the hell thinks up these things do they have any idea of the consequences??

It all comes down to money and more money they could care less about their own!

Just now, Cabradelmar said:

That's where we started (and might end up again) with ganja... just need to get a medical marijuana card... Can I get my medical shrooms and opium card too 😂 

It will probably take the form of what's generally called a "prescription " unlikely to be raw opium, more than likely a product derived from it, You know just like almost everywhere else

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

It all comes down to money and more money they could care less about their own!

They are talking about prescription drugs, traditionally used to provide medical treatment to people suffering, Not really anything to do with "money and more money" unless one owns a pharmaceutical company

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

After the farcical decriminalization of weed by Mr Anutin and the ministry of health  this sounds like a brilliant idea, how about getting that mess sorted first  

what particular mess are you talking about ?  No prescription req'd and not available to those under 21 or pregnant, lactating women seems like common sense to me regarding cannabis. Which part do you have a problem with?

• Agree 1

What is this Thailand re-inventing the wheel yet again, opium has been used in medicine for a very long time. Australia grow Opium Poppies in Tasmania, to be used for medicine, my cough mixture I by from 7/11 has opium tincture in it. what a load of bolicks.

• Thumbs Up 1

No. Legalizing psilocybin  and opium for medical use is not about making it available to the public. These substances are widely legalized around the world for clinical use, psychotherapy or pain management....Thailand had a huge lack in this domain (notably about morphine use for cancer patients and other cases...). It is finally catching up. That's it. just hope it will not, like it was (is) the case in the USA, create an opioid apocalypse with some avenues in many cities turned into zombiland.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, rumeaug said:

No. Legalizing psilocybin  and opium for medical use is not about making it available to the public. These substances are widely legalized around the world for clinical use, psychotherapy or pain management....Thailand had a huge lack in this domain (notably about morphine use for cancer patients and other cases...). It is finally catching up. That's it. just hope it will not, like it was (is) the case in the USA, create an opioid apocalypse with some avenues in many cities turned into zombiland.

It will   be available to the public ,  just restricted to those who are sick,    The opioid apocalypse is a different matter and is no excuse for denying these substances to those who need them.

As usual, the 'silent majority' reactionary boomers are out in full force.

Magic mushrooms were legal and obtainable in many countries around the World until the early 2000s. In England, they were legal in a wet state, and in Japan they were legal in a dry state. In Tokyo, at the famous neon-lit pedestrian crossing, there used to be a large store only selling magic mushrooms. 

The obvious benefits and remarkable lack of drawbacks makes them a true no-brainer. They have been so successful for treatment of depression in research experiments that they were fast-tracked to legalisation. 

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Read the article. I pretty sure it's not saying that magic mushie pizza shops are going to be popping up everywhere.

Th marijuana shops did!

• Confused 1