It can take an hour going through immigration 

Even while flying C class?

Suwannabhumi must really be going downhill

Never had such problems when I used to have access to the elite line

49 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

He is wrong. There is a separate immigration counter that was very very quick last time I flew. There was also a separate check in counter for business class.

However, I am not sure about JAL as their set up might be different. 

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, samtam said:

I'm flying on JAL Business Class. What's an optimum check-in time? I'm planning on 2 hours ahead of departure time.

Confirm you can get access to Fast-Track immigration and security with JAL.

My guess is that you can, and you'll pass through check-in, security and immigration in a matter of 15-20 mins or so... 

Thus: it depends upon how long you want to spend in a lounge. 

-----------

I travel very regularly and have Thai Elite, so I'm very often through and into a lounge within 20 mins...   I always aim to get to the airport 2 hours before departure time (sitting in a lounge is more boring than being at home, so I'm not bothered about spending time in a lounge, but balance the arriving at the airport time (2 hrs early in my case) with risk of there being a delay on the way to or at the airport etc).

Also, when at the airport take note of the Departure Gate as the new satellite terminal (S gates) take additional time to get to....  

I fly business class on different airlines out of BKK often. Rarely does it take more than 30 minutes to get from the front door through the business class check in, fast track security, immigration and to the lounge. Boarding begins about 45 minutes before departure. 

I aim to be dropped off 2 1/2 hours before departure. That allows some flexibility just in case there is a traffic delay - which is the biggest unknown. I then spend about an hour in the lounge before boarding. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I just departed in JAL Business Class a week ago.

You'll have fast track security/immigration.  It took me less than five minutes to clear both (05:45 am).

Two hours ahead of time should suffice.  I arrived 2.5 hours prior to the flight and spent nearly two hours waiting in the lounge.

check in as you normally would
then just go chill in whichever VIP lounge your ticket permits
be aware your lounge may still be quite a distance from your gate.
not here, but other airports/countries
i have turned up the night before my early flight no problem
go to lounge enjoy an evening buffet, with open bar (i don't drink tho)
then have shower, go to sleep on a nice comfy recliner in quiet corner, wake up, buffet breakfast, shower, then go to gate
if flying biz or first class, you can avoid any stress by arriving early and waiting comfortably 

Tip: many do not realise you can buy fast track and lounge access at most airports regardless of ticket and usually not too much, like $30-50

May be it's my age but these days I like to avoid travel stress so always check in as early as I can, especially as Business Class will have a nice lounge with free drinks and food, some airlines better than others.

That said using the fast track security and immigration that comes with the ticket is usually quick. So I'd say 1 hr 40 mins before departure should be enough. But until checked in and bags taken you risk missing the flight.

I once I got stuck at KLM business class check in. Online check in hadn't worked. Some problem, I suspect over booking or someone mistakenly offered an upgrade. Had to step aside for a good 30 minutes. People were starting to stare and I felt like a miscreant. Eventually all sorted but no explanation offered, my time in the excellent Air France business lounge KLM share severely curtailed. On the plane business class was completely full.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

I just departed in JAL Business Class a week ago.

You'll have fast track security/immigration.  It took me less than five minutes to clear both (05:45 am).

Two hours ahead of time should suffice.  I arrived 2.5 hours prior to the flight and spent nearly two hours waiting in the lounge.

Yes, thanks. My flight departure is early (09.45), so I was trying to avoid the overly long period between check-in and push back, as I'll leave home in Sathorn around 07.00, which will acclimatise me for Tokyo time in the ensuing days.

We prefer to arrive a little over three hours early as a matter of course for international flights. Notwithstanding, check-in desks at BKK invariably open three hours prior to departure.

The JAL business lounge is perfectly acceptable to kill a few hours. Anyway, you're in for a six hour treat with JAL business class (and over seven hours coming back). Narita is a pleasant airport.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, scorecard said:
On 5/3/2024 at 8:44 AM, Nick Carter icp said:

It can take an hour going through immigration 

That's the critical item.

When flying Eco....      Op is flying business...   he'll be in the lounge within 30mins of arrival at the airport. 

Fast track Security and Immigration is consistently quick.... 

Airline checkin with a business class ticket will also be quick.... 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, samtam said:

Yes, thanks. My flight departure is early (09.45), so I was trying to avoid the overly long period between check-in and push back, as I'll leave home in Sathorn around 07.00, which will acclimatise me for Tokyo time in the ensuing days.

Boarding will start at ~9am.  

20 hours ago, torturedsole said:

We prefer to arrive a little over three hours early as a matter of course for international flights. Notwithstanding, check-in desks at BKK invariably open three hours prior to departure.

The JAL business lounge is perfectly acceptable to kill a few hours. Anyway, you're in for a six hour treat with JAL business class (and over seven hours coming back). Narita is a pleasant airport.

We are flying in and out of Haneda.

Travelled Friday.....Qatar.....self check-in, loaded my own luggage....through security and passport control in 10 mins.....1800 hrs.....had b****y hours to kill then.

Went via the new S gates....fantastic layout.

On 5/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

If you aren't checking bags do online check-in and get your digital boarding pass.  You can go six hours early and drink like a fish in the Cathay Pacific lounge.  Then when they're tired of you move to the JAL lounge which opens three hours before departure. 

Drink like a fish? Are you an alcoholic? What a dumb comment.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Umlungu said:

Drink like a fish? Are you an alcoholic? What a dumb comment.

I do partake in a couple of three alcoholic beverages to help me sleep. As well as two or three in the lounge for good measure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2024 at 7:12 AM, Captain Monday said:

Fly Thai in F and it's less than 10mins.

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Fly Thai in F and it's less than 10mins.

Flew Thai in Business a few weeks ago. Was checked in, through security and immigration and in the lounge in less than 10 minutes. FWIW: The Singapore Krisflyer lounge has much nicer staff, food and drinks than the Thai lounge.