That heatwave isn't normal

Posted (edited)

pah its  hotter  than the last 4  years in Pranburi but thats the only difference, previous to those  years it was where it is today for  about 2  years. One year even saw 13c in the morning, havent seen that since (7years ago) so for me have had the last 3-4  years  cooler and wetter, previous 2 years  hotter  drier, can tell easily by the trees  in the mountain next to me. Then last 3-4 the mountains stay green, in the hot years they go brown,. this year theyre brown.

Maxed out at 43.1 c 4  -5 years  ago, this year max so far 42

No one seem to mention that a few  years  ago it was very wet, almsot every day had  rain in the rainy season and beyond, I know as I worked outdoors for years and had to keep jetwashing the black mildew off concrete. Havent had to do any this  year and most of last year either. I spoke to the shopkeeper who lives round here and  he said it goes like that, couple of really dry years then some rainy etc, nothing unusual for him.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

It's not even close to normal but wondering if this is the new normal. 

Thinking it is headed in the direction of new normal...But still has more heat to come. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

By a degree or two. Can you feel the difference in a degree or two?

More like 0.1 or 0.2 recently. None of us were alive in 1900 when it was a degree hotter.

Nobody can feel a 0.2 difference.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

I lived here for 12 years. Never owned or used an aircon. 1 week ago I got one installed. 🥵 Which sums it up for me.

Here 14 years, always had aircons, never used them. Fans sufficient.

Turned on the never used one in the newish house the other day, didn't work. Rats had eaten wires, lizards lived inside - even found snakeskin in the unit. All the gas had gone (probably didn't help the environment).

Called the guy, hardly had it off since. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

I lived here for 12 years. Never owned or used an aircon. 1 week ago I got one installed. 🥵 Which sums it up for me.

Yes sums up that you're now old, soft and lazy. 😉

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If one wants to make money off weather it's apparently quite easy to BS enough people to mint it.

The propaganda machine is working overtime to convince people that it's all our fault and if we buy an EV and pay more tax the weather will change to utopian.

Baaah baaaah.

Edited by Startmeup
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, shocky2012 said:

I've been in Thailand since 2010. Went through alot of raining, hot and cold seasons but I've never been through something like that.

I feel like I'm a walking deep fried chicken everytime I go out (I'm in Nakhon Sawan).

Honestly -- is it this bad where you are?

We're staying around Chumphon directly at the beach. Temps around 34 at the sea, behind the beach 37. Yes, it's hot but tolerable, thanks to aircon.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, shocky2012 said:

I've been in Thailand since 2010. Went through alot of raining, hot and cold seasons but I've never been through something like that.

I feel like I'm a walking deep fried chicken everytime I go out (I'm in Nakhon Sawan).

I put the bid in at worse … due to the air pollution here in Chiang Mai. Riding on the motorbike feels like driving into the mouth of a blast furnace. Last time, when I arrived home actually felt weak and a bit dizzy. The Weather Channel said it felt like 44C that day = so over 110F! Yikes!

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 2

The last 3 years the hot season was cooler than normal where I live.  Never hit 40.  This year 90% of the days are around 40.

46 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Yes it is the hottest I can remember up here in NE Issaan, I have live here permanently since 2010

Surely there are transport services available for you to get back to civilisation.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If one wants to make money off weather it's apparently quite easy to BS enough people to mint it.

The propaganda machine is working overtime to convince people that it's all our fault and if we buy an EV and pay more tax the weather will change to utopian.

Baaah baaaah.

The anti-global warming effort was sponsored by Conoco et al to the tune of millions but they now admit they lied to counter the findings of thousands of scientists, who were not lying nor in a position to be funding advertising campaigns.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

In Germany they simple relabeled 'summer' as 'heat wave'.

Germans don't know the difference between weather and climate.  They only know they're innocent. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, micmichd said:

the difference between weather and climate. 

That's very easy. If it is colder then usual, its the weather. Newspaper and TV Stations do not inform about that, because it would just confuse you. If it's hotter then usual, it's climate change. Actually its a climat catastrophe already. Newspaper will report about it using bright red in weather maps, together with TV Stations. They like to cut month short if it gets a cold spell towards the end. 

Fun fact. Human race was two times near extinction because of cold weather. Veggies just don't grow very much in ice. Heat, at least till now, did not endanger human race. Not till Gretta came and told us all how wrong we have been .........

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2024 at 2:27 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes.

It's not even close to normal but wondering if this is the new normal. 

No ,temps are going to rise due to climate catastrophe. The global elites are responsible for fiddling while the planet burns.

• Like 1

Recently watched a YT-video that said the current heatwaves have to do with El Nino and La Nina events.

For this year it is also forecasted to have a stronger and longer lasting La Nina which could lead to heavier rainfall in rainy season as usual

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 3:33 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes, global warming everyone should go buy an electric car and stop eating meat.

As to electric cars, not at the price of a replacement battery thanks. Stop eating meat and we will be over run with cows, pigs, chicken and other edible animals. Cut down on the population and we may have a chance.

• Sad 1

On 5/5/2024 at 2:23 PM, shocky2012 said:

29 minutes ago, CLW said:

Recently watched a YT-video that said the current heatwaves have to do with El Nino and La Nina events

Who the hell relies on YT-video for serious and accurate information on anything!

• Sad 2

On 5/5/2024 at 4:15 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

There is a case to be made that solar cycles affect weather on earth, but the cycles are fairly consistent over that 11 year period with solar energy deviating by about 0.1 percent from peak to trough.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=115207

This would not explain continually rising temperature over a longer stretch of time.

Then there are the Milankovitch cycles that don't seem to fit the rapid rise in global temperatures.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-research/earth-science/why-milankovitch-orbital-cycles-cant-explain-earths-current-warming/

Until a different external effect can be identified, we are left with finding an earthbound driver of increasing temperatures. So far, it seems that the scientific consensus is an increase CO2 in the atmosphere.

If extreme CO2 is the cause of the temperatures rising, why are the not more trees and plants which thrive on CO2? Also, if CO2 is the problem, why is the global population increasing, when high concentrations of CO2 would be deadly to all animal life?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Yes in  Kanchanaburi and just on 17 years have never known it to be so very hot and well over a month with temps well in the 100s and don't forget this is in the shade.
We had our first rain the other night and we had electric outages and for well over 4 hours but it cooled a bit but not for long and today Monday the temp well in the 40's.

Yes, drinking plenty of water but impossible not to have a couple of beers sometimes and that means going down the road for overpriced but cold beer in the past walked to the main village a 10 to 15-minute walk with more varieties.

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Who the hell relies on YT-video for serious and accurate information on anything!

you still reading newspapers?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1