Trang Sea Tragedy: Tourist Boat Overturns, One Fatality and Multiple Injuries

image.jpeg

A severe incident occurred at sea near the Pak Meng Bridge, Trang Sea, when a longtail tourist boat carrying 14 occupants, capsized. Tragically, a 68-year-old woman died.

The five injured passengers were treated at Sikao Hospital. The incident happened when the boat was returning from a sea trip and, due to an equipment failure, the vessel became unstable and capsized. 

The boat, carrying 11 Thai residents and three crew members, lost control due to snapped steering ropes. As passengers shifted to one side of the boat, it capsized. The victims, all wearing life jackets, were assisted by a passing speedboat and brought ashore for medical attention.

The fatality was identified as Atchara Triprasertsakul, a resident of Songkhla Province. It was reported that the passengers were related to each other and were from three family groups. The Governor of Trang Province visited the remaining victims at the hospital and expressed his condolence, commenting on the culpability of the incident despite the crew's efforts.

Investigation into the accident immediately began, with police confirming that the boat was in full compliance with regulations. However, the governor advised tourists to rethink their sea excursions in this period due to unpredictable weather conditions potentially causing strong undercurrents. Despite warnings about weight distribution having been issued by the boat owner, it appears they were ignored, leading to the regrettable accident. 

The boat company has been ordered to manage compensation for the deceased. Their boat had the necessary permits, registrations, and insurance. As investigations continue, the initial reports indicate that vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor to this incident.

Picture Courtesy of Khaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Reads like the boat was dead in the water, and everyone decided to peek at something on the same side of the boat, capsizing it ... after being warned not to.   Oh well ...

R I P

Why guess, you weren't there. As for "being warned," perhaps we need to hear from passengers, though with Thailands oppressive  anti defamation laws, they may be too scared to speak up.

Edited by Aussie999
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Why guess, you weren't there  as for "being warned," perhaps we need to hear from passengers   though Thailands anti defamation laws, they may be too scared to soeak up.

That's what was in the new-blip, if you read it.   Very believable if you've even been in a smaller, short beam boat (non cat).   Not much of a guess :coffee1:

Ask the passengers and get back to us ... until then ... 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Xonax said:

So how did the steering ropes snap, when they have been inspected on a regular basis?

Perhaps the ropes were inspected but not the pullies. A seized pully would place significant stress on the ropes.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A severe incident occurred at sea near the Pak Meng Bridge, Trang Sea, when a longtail tourist boat carrying 14 occupants, capsized. Tragically, a 68-year-old woman died.

The five injured passengers were treated at Sikao Hospital. The incident happened when the boat was returning from a sea trip and, due to an equipment failure, the vessel became unstable and capsized. 

The boat, carrying 11 Thai residents and three crew members, lost control due to snapped steering ropes. As passengers shifted to one side of the boat, it capsized. The victims, all wearing life jackets, were assisted by a passing speedboat and brought ashore for medical attention.

The fatality was identified as Atchara Triprasertsakul, a resident of Songkhla Province. It was reported that the passengers were related to each other and were from three family groups. The Governor of Trang Province visited the remaining victims at the hospital and expressed his condolence, commenting on the culpability of the incident despite the crew's efforts.

Investigation into the accident immediately began, with police confirming that the boat was in full compliance with regulations. However, the governor advised tourists to rethink their sea excursions in this period due to unpredictable weather conditions potentially causing strong undercurrents. Despite warnings about weight distribution having been issued by the boat owner, it appears they were ignored, leading to the regrettable accident. 

The boat company has been ordered to manage compensation for the deceased. Their boat had the necessary permits, registrations, and insurance. As investigations continue, the initial reports indicate that vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor to this incident.

Picture Courtesy of Khaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Again and again, not the best seamanship🙏

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Had nothing at all to do with the weather.

Every Thai knows that rules only apply to others.

Wrong! They don't know anything about rules.....a big difference!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the governor advised tourists to rethink their sea excursions in this period due to unpredictable weather conditions potentially causing strong undercurrents. Despite warnings about weight distribution having been issued by the boat owner, it appears they were ignored, leading to the regrettable accident. 

Blame the victims, the boat, the sea. Not those responsible for boat safety ... the crew and captain.

Given the potential bad weather conditions, the boat should have never left the dock as per an order from a responsible boat captain. But tourism is all about money.

The governor should be considered for immediate replacement for defaming the boat victims.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Blame the victims, the boat, the sea. Not those responsible for boat safety ... the crew and captain.

Given the potential bad weather conditions, the boat should have never left the dock as per an order from a responsible boat captain. But tourism is all about money.

The governor should be considered for immediate replacement for defaming the boat victims.

Did you look at the photo or read the news-blip, as the seas look quite flat to me, and doesn't seem to be an issue, or mentioned at all in the news-blip. image.png.96b78bec932d12449258b8460efcb7de.png

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

So how did the steering ropes snap, when they have been inspected on a regular basis?

are they ropes, or steel cables?

It always amazes me how Thais always come to a quick conclusion when accidents happen if that was the Western World it would take at least a week to reach a final conclusion due to

ingen investigations I for one do not use long tail boats I had one experience some 15 years ago that was enough to convince me not to do it again !

Having serverd ion a maritime oprganmi9sation for over TWO decades I did visit many boat tour op[portunities when I first came here, canal trips opk, but on the open water the expertise and seemingly lack of competence showed by many crew including cap[taions, I vowed NEVER to venture on any boat run and crewed and captained by Thais . Judging by the number of accidents, mishaps etc over the last 2 decades seems like a wise choice .

There may be GOOD COMPETENT crews, boats etc,. but it is pure guesswork !!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

>However, the governor advised tourists to rethink their sea excursions in this period due to unpredictable weather conditions potentially causing strong undercurrents.

The crux: Tourists are not equipped to make adequate go/no go decisions and rely on the captain of the ship to make such assessments. This is what regulation (i.e. right to carry passengers for hire license, captain's licensing) is for. I have some doubts if such licensing is adequately checked.

What the governor might be really saying: We don't know what these bozos running the boats are really doing - watch your own back out there! 🫠

Edited by SbuxPlease

Years ago I took such a boat in Trang province and going back from an island it was getting dark, a storm was approaching, and the boatman was having problems keeping the motor running. No life jackets. One of those "I could have died" moments.

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Zero maintenance rears it's ugly head again...

"As investigations continue, the initial reports indicate that vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor to this incident".

5 hours ago, neeray said:

Perhaps the ropes were inspected but not the pullies. A seized pully would place significant stress on the ropes.

!2 passengers all sitting on the same side, contrary to the driver's instructions, due to spray coming over the other, if that was where the prevailing wind was coming from, would affect the ability of the guy to steer in a straight line. In a sailing boat it's called weather helm and one can easily break the steering. I learnt the hard way myself by snapping a rudder in half in a gale at the age of 12.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1