Why are fares more expensive for foreigners in Thailand?

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Government hospitals don't dual charge.

I'm registered with Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital Sattahip.In the main waiting room there's a posted sign saying "foreigners will be charged a fee 1.5 in extra fees" (not the exact wording)

I've had surgery there and because of a shortage of private rooms I had to stay in a large ward to recover.A horrible experience.Finally a private room became available much to my relief.

• Agree 1

"Why?"

I mentioned it earlier. There is no why. You won't find any logic where there is no logic.

For that reason, don't expect logic and don't ask why.

That makes life so much easier in Thailand. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I don't think this is always true.  It depends on the area you are in.

Disneyland in Los Angeles used to offer a not advertised discount for locals if they showed an ID with a local address.  Dual pricing.  I don't know if they still do that.

Edited by rwill

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He didn't complain. He asked a question. Some people, such as you, are unable to tell the difference.

Did I quote the OP, and state 'he' was complaining.  Just a general reference to those that do, and the forum is full of them.   Some might think, if they weren't complaining, they wouldn't be posting.

OP, new member, new troll ???  All of 4 posts, 2 consisting of a title & photo.  One might suspect click bait to boost traffic & postings :coffee1:

You are correct though, some people are unable to tell the difference.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

For US the wage earned for same job when converted may be 2.5 to 3 times what a Thai earns.

When Tourist are on Vacation they generally are more open to paying more for the same thing they would be more price aware with in day to day lives.

In tourist areas some taxis operate around everywhere, some want to work by the job price or fare.

My advice for taxis are use Bolt/Grab to determine a price for trip.  If not metered Taxi use your calculator to confirm agreed upon amount so their is less chance of conflict or misunderstanding.  Yes, as in Phuket some are opportunist and want what the market will pay.  

For attractions it is best to be prepared with your Long Term Visa, Thai License.

If with Thai person have them buy ticket why you stand away to avoid the challenge

Foreigner is Not defined by these places.  I know some water parks, aquariums, and other attractions accepted my Passport Retirement Visa, Thai Drivers license to accept the Local Price.

Lastly remember the benefits of living in Thailand, Cost of Living, and it is Not others problems if you can't afford something due to lack of research, planning, earning, and saving for your Retirement 

• Thanks 1

Because the Thai Government doesn't have the willpower to crush the problem and so the lowlife scum preying on tourists and foreigners get to continue their scams. 

There should be undercover farangs and other foreign nationals, backed up by undercover Thai police, used to catch these scum and once caught they should be removed from society, preferably permanently.

• Thumbs Up 2

The tuk tuk mafia are 90% scam artists. I never use them, can't stand the hassle at the rank. My Grab fares are the same as for Thais, and I don't mind telling them when they are taking a poor route. With a 'mai, mai', a smile and left/right directions. I'm paying. I also tip them better if they are showing me a rat run I didn't know.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Dont get sick or have an accident, the medical charges for foreigners are way more higher than for tuk tuks. And dont come without medical insurance.  

I am afraid that I must dispute this statement. Back in 2016 I had an op for a stoma hernia at Prachuap Khiri Khan hospital. I had 4 nights in a private room. Somebody from my village had the same op, private room,same hospital and my bill was actually cheaper and I had stayed an extra night!! 
I now have private medical insurance and the bills are the same no matter where you are from and have never seen any signs in the 2 private hospitals I use saying foreigners will pay x% more!!

Edited by worrab
Extra wording

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

Yes. many Farang are stupid and rich. They deserve to be ripped off. Personally I will never take  a tuk tuk if I can avoid it. 

Don't know why anyone would, or MB taxi.  Definitely not putting my life in someone else's hands, in/on a vehicle that can't take a hit or provide some margin of protection.

Aside from sucking in all the lovely diesel exhaust.  Don't even like walking street level next to some roads.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, worrab said:

I am afraid that I must dispute this statement. Back in 2016 I had an op for a stoma hernia at Prachuap Khiri Khan hospital. I had 4 nights in a private room. Somebody from my village had the same op, same hospital and my bill was actually cheaper and I had stayed an extra night!! 
I now have private medical insurance and the bills are the same no matter where you are from and have never seen any signs in the 2 private hospitals I use saying foreigners will pay x% more!!

Fair enough - there are some examples of Expats not being over-charged.

But there are a lot more of this sort of thing happening.

“The pricing was set on an appropriate basis of socioeconomic status, and it benefits Thailand, so it therefore doesn’t count as discrimination,” the court ruling said.

Dutch expat to appeal after Thai court sides with higher hospital fees for foreigners | Coconuts

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Who cares ? Only small money involved. 

Not on £10k's worth of cancer treatment its not.

21 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Not just Thailand. India is good example. Robbing bar stewards

Yes India is next level robbery. One reason I will NEVER return. Another is the much higher cost of everything than SEA ,,,and lower quality. F India !

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

"Why are fares more expensive for foreigners in Thailand?"

The premise is bolox, to start with. I pay the same on buses as the Thai behind or ahead of me.

Tuktuk (illustrated by alleged "OP"): I pay the same 30 baht from the market to my condo as my (Thai) wife or any other Thai.

BTS, MRT, SRT: I pay same as Thais. So thru which orifice is "OP" talking?

Edited by isaanistical
missed a bit

3 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Why don't you throw in a mugging just to be complete?     :cheesy:

One is very unlikely to be mugged in Thailand... maybe just late night some trannies in pattaya and other sholes.

6 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

One is very unlikely to be mugged in Thailand... maybe just late night some trannies in pattaya and other sholes.

You completely missed the point but that's OK.      Never mind.

• Thumbs Up 1