Buying A Motorcycle Without A Greenbook. Yes I Am Nuts !!!!!

Don’t do it. If you take “ownership” without the green book what are you going to do if the actual owner claims you have stolen the bike. You lose the money you paid, you lose the bike and you could end up with a theft charge and later possibly deported. This really is a stupid idea there are tons of legitimate bikes for sale out there go and buy one of those and save yourself a whole heap of problems.

Ask for the number you talk about, or go look and find it yourself. Do not pay deposit. Check both with the police and the DLT to check if stolen. Also ask if new book can be done in your name if both seller and you present a signed receipt at DLT. If they say that anything of this is impossible, just forget and walk away.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, idiot baby said:

I REALLY want to buy a motorcycle that's for sale on Facebook marketplace.  The rub is they don't have the green book.  The guy claims that the big was purchased from a police auction and is not stolen. 

Wouldn't happen to be that beautiful Yamaha 250/V2 Phaser currently showing on FB with no green book?  TGTBT

( Yamaha's answer to the legendary Honda NSR250)

Edited by dddave

IF there is a bike it is stolen, otherwise it is a fraud scam. Vehicles bought from auctions come with papers that allow it to be registered after inspection. No papers, no deal. Do not pay any deposits.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

IF there is a bike it is stolen, otherwise it is a fraud scam. Vehicles bought from auctions come with papers that allow it to be registered after inspection. No papers, no deal. Do not pay any deposits.

This... 

But really... no one is the stupid....               ... are they ???

So then there's this... 

15 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

No, silly billy.  You should start with a better story if you wanna wind up your audience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Dear Idiot Baby, Best of luck with your new purchase, I am feeling sure everything will be all right.

By the way, while I am here, I have an amazing offer for you. Three acres of prime beachfront land with a house and views overlooking the ocean in Paraguay. It is a steal, and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Price available on request. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Having considered the possibilities, clever baby, why not start a new thread?

Tell us your BIL is an accountant at a famous major grain silo, and has secret details on 150,000 sacks of specialty aged vintage stored rice!

He's offered you a chance to get in on a deal to ship the rice......to Affika..........in exchange for some traditional Nigerian Prince brand instant yellow cake mix!

Unfortunately, dear, you don't have the funds available to get in on the ground floor of this 3-layer wedding cake of a deal, so.........

You take it from there, m'kay?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idiot baby said:

I was thinking of getting the VIN number off the bike and going to the police station or the Land Transport Office to see if the bike is stolen.  Is this where I should start? 

Don't waste your time, it is not your vehicle so they will not disclose any information about it to you.  As someone else posted, if the seller bought it from a government auction (the RTP do not conduct auctions) he would have been provided with the requisite documentation.

• Like 1

so ive had about 4-5 honda dreams....NEVER put the bike in my names..always kept green book aside etc,

never been asked to see it either...s ive had plenty of the helmet stops in old city....just take a pic of my tag etc...

ive also had a mbike stolen once and still have that green book...so of course it may be stolen buy buyer beware

had my current honda for years..have the green book..still in the name of the thai guy i bought it from....mai pen rai

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

so ive had about 4-5 honda dreams....NEVER put the bike in my names..always kept green book aside etc,

never been asked to see it either...s ive had plenty of the helmet stops in old city....just take a pic of my tag etc...

ive also had a mbike stolen once and still have that green book...so of course it may be stolen buy buyer beware

had my current honda for years..have the green book..still in the name of the thai guy i bought it from....mai pen rai

So, you are just a dodgy bloke, a chancer, then crack on..................:hit-the-fan:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hughrection said:

You will be asked for a deposit as the bike is far back in a storage shed. You will pay deposit and never hear from them again. This is a scam on FB. Walk away.

no green book is not proof of scam, as in take money and run,
if that was the scam they would have much more success providing a fake scan of fake green book etc
many bikes are sold here without the green book, not a scam, just how it is.
many are not stolen too, i have a bike that does not have a green book,
simply due to being misplaced over the years and never being needed as the bike never makes it outside the village if it ever makes it off our land.

All that said, i wouldn't, just not worth the possible head ache, unless buying for parts or to only use on your own land.

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, patman30 said:
43 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

he would have been provided with the requisite documentation.

Just like they do with watches they auction? LOL

The police do not conduct auctions.  Seized items are auctioned by the government, not the police, and buyers are provided with documentation legitimising their purchase.  Which "RTP watch auctions" are you laughing out load about?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The police do not conduct auctions.  Seized items are auctioned by the government, not the police, and buyers are provided with documentation legitimising their purchase.  Which "RTP watch auctions" are you laughing out load about?

where was i arguing over who conducts the auction?
i simply said "they"  (referring to whoever does conduct the auction)
you have put RTP watch auctions in quotes
please do point out where i myself typed that
you do know how quotes work right?

as for watches "they" auctioned them (they being any gov department, petty detail does not matter, all gov employees)
https://timeandtidewatches.com/thai-customs-admits-selling-fake-luxury-watches-in-auction-including-pieces-from-rolex-patek-philippe-and-richard-mille/

Edited by patman30
  • Agree 1

Why anyone would consider purchasing a bike under dodgy circumstances, when there are so many legitimate ones available, is one of life's mysteries.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.