6,000 Baht Transfer Error Stirs Legal Controversy

webfact

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

People are too quick to press the OK or ACCEPT button, despite every banking app specifically telling you to check the details before committing. 

And surprisingly, the bank provided the recipient's phone number! WTF?

Ever heard of promptpay? It actually uses phone numbers. But to answer what you try to whine about, the security privacy leak is actually worse with that. If you randomly enter numbers into the bank, or a phone number, and they use promptpay, you know their full name. I found out that way about many farangs their real names.

Even the guy who hanged himself with the dark web thing, canadian, his number / promptpay still works today, at least his bank does.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Legal expert Decha Kittiwittayanan weighed in on the issue via his Facebook page, stressing the legal consequences. He cited Section 352 of the Criminal Code, which mandates that anyone receiving money mistakenly must return it immediately.

Failure to do so qualifies as embezzlement, carrying a penalty of up to one year and six months in prison or a fine up to 30,000 baht, or both.

I think the lady will have a change of heart very soon, unless she's spent the 6,000 baht and needs to borrow money to repay it back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Legal expert Decha Kittiwittayanan weighed in on the issue via his Facebook page, stressing the legal consequences. He cited Section 352 of the Criminal Code, which mandates that anyone receiving money mistakenly must return it immediately.

Failure to do so qualifies as embezzlement, carrying a penalty of up to one year and six months in prison or a fine up to 30,000 baht, or both.

Good to know.

Always check and verify recipients name. That little bit of time will save you hours of time and added expense to recover the money.  

Thank You for the detailed story.  I am sure it will help all of us better understand the process if this happens to someone.

The lady in Receipt of the money Clearly committed a crime.  The family was notified, the Police report created, the date and time of the withdrawal and the Receiver had no relationship, refused communications, and knows the money was Not hers.  Not a Gift

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I hate Facebook and every plastic person that uses it.

I can't say I hate Facebook as I have never used it. Is it possible they hate me for not using it?

• Agree 1

We had 999 baht put into our joint account a little while back. While the wife told the bank to refund the money they took nearly a week to find someone that could speak to me in English so I could confirm her instructions. Crazy.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are titled to your opinion of course, even though it makes you look stupid and out of touch with a real world in which billions use it to interact with distant family and friends, or join interest groups or countless other things.

hahahah - another serial poster with a plastic life then, who'd have thunk it....

FB is the real world.....hmm

Edited by PJ71
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Good to know.

Unfortunatelly, it helps you nothing to know that.

If the lady in this case wants to follow the rights this lawyer gave her, she will need to start a lawsuir and hire a lawyer.
The other lady can drag the case as long as she want, increasing the court and lawyer fee to a 10-fold the original sum (6,000 baht).

Assuming that she wins the case, she still need to force the lady to pay.
Which can be denied for several reasons.

I had a similar case where my EX-wife was required by the courts to refund me about 20,000 baht and the court case/lawyer mounted to 50,000 baht at the end.
Required by the court to refund me 50,000 baht + court + lawyer + interests, I still haven't seen a Penny of it as she declared herself unsolvable (living on a unemployed wage from the public assistance).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

hahahah - another serial poster with a plastic life then, who'd have thunk it....

Your totally pointless and unnecessary putdown of the billions who use Facebook only serves to reveal your own ignorance of how to use it for your benefit. If you don't like to use it then fine, but to then insult the billions who do makes you an arrogant idiot.

I for one have made a considerable amount of money by using FB to track down many people I've then interviewed as a journalist. It only needs a modicum of imagination to get the best out of the platform. 

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Your totally pointless and unnecessary putdown of the billions who use Facebook only serves to reveal your own ignorance of how to use it for your benefit. If you don't like to use it then fine, but to then insult the billions who do makes you an arrogant idiot.

It has zero benifit to me that's why i won't use it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh!  The arguments with my "better half" about this issue!

I have to keep on reminding her, loudly, to GET THE DAMN NAME, not only the phone number for PromptPay, because it is SO easy to simply enter one numeral wrong and end up with a world of pain trying to recover the money!!!

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Decha called on the police to issue a summons for the suspect, underscoring the urgency for law enforcement to protect the public and uphold justice without delay.

Don't hold your breath on that one.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've since edited my post, added to it. And the fact it is of zero benefit to you doesn't entitle you to insult those who use it. Does it. Live and live and all that.

You're hooked by the sounds of it, beyond help......nevermind.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

You're hooked by the sounds of it, beyond help......nevermind.

I can't argue with a closed mind. And it seems you feel you have the right to criticise anyone who uses the platform. Why you have that agenda, I have no idea. In your mind, if you don't like it then those who do use it are fools. Take a look in the mirror. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can't argue with a closed mind. And it seems you feel you have the right to criticise anyone who uses the platform. Why you have that agenda, I have no idea. In your mind, if you don't like it then those who do use it are fools. Take a look in the mirror. 

Thanks Berry, i'll do that.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Yes, as so many people are using Facebook, it becomes a part of the world we are living in. Or do you have another explanation? Please read on image below before digging yourself deeper in the mud. Apparently we have over 3 billion fools in the world according to you. We must be very lucky to have such a smart person like you here, to correct so many people.

image.png.c55a457c493fcaccd38b5835caa5ef92.png

15 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

We had 999 baht put into our joint account a little while back. While the wife told the bank to refund the money they took nearly a week to find someone that could speak to me in English so I could confirm her instructions. Crazy.

That´s just pure BS. How did you try and contact them? Did you go to every service center in supermarkets for a week. The only thing you needed to do, was call phone service, as all Thai banks have the option to choose and speak English. It takes about 20 minutes if you call during busy hours. Otherwise done and over in 5.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Ever heard of promptpay? It actually uses phone numbers. But to answer what you try to whine about, the security privacy leak is actually worse with that. If you randomly enter numbers into the bank, or a phone number, and they use promptpay, you know their full name. I found out that way about many farangs their real names.

Even the guy who hanged himself with the dark web thing, canadian, his number / promptpay still works today, at least his bank does.

Strange thing here with Prompt Pay is that PP can only operate from one bank and if you have several bank accounts at different banks you are limited for PP to only one of them.

Hard to understand why ?

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why?

Here's an example:

People get excited about how many 'friends' they have, but are they friends....not really.

People all have perfect lives on FB, great holdiays, great jobs, new cars, stunning partners, loads of money, false economy.

No one is ever a crack addict or has a low paying menial job, ugly partner etc etc.

It's totally plastic and fake - not for me.

Based on some of the replies on here tho, many people love it.

Oh, and one of my favorites it hear a lot of people say 'i never post anything' - comedy gold.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, as so many people are using Facebook, it becomes a part of the world we are living in. Or do you have another explanation? Please read on image below before digging yourself deeper in the mud. Apparently we have over 3 billion fools in the world according to you. We must be very lucky to have such a smart person like you here, to correct so many people.

image.png.c55a457c493fcaccd38b5835caa5ef92.png

That´s just pure BS. How did you try and contact them? Did you go to every service center in supermarkets for a week. The only thing you needed to do, was call phone service, as all Thai banks have the option to choose and speak English. It takes about 20 minutes if you call during busy hours. Otherwise done and over in 5.

You sound angry, should get on the weed, that 'might' help.

• Confused 1