Engineer's Heartwarming Dowry: 120 Baht of Gold to Match Bride’s Weight

webfact

26 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Buying daughters from their parents are from days of the slave trade which are long gone.

So you don’t know what it is. 

Are you married to a Thai woman? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Total stupidity. Time this nonsense was legally stopped. Hopefully just for show, and the money and gold will be given back to the newly weds.  Close on 4.5 million baht, which will give them a good step on the housing ladder.

Not to mention it basically makes the man out to be a chump from the get go, which won’t turn out well. Women hate that <deleted>

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Happily married for 20 years with three teenage children. And when they marry I won't be asking for Sin Sot. It's outdated.

PS. I was asked for a dowery but I refused to pay.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Total stupidity. Time this nonsense was legally stopped. Hopefully just for show, and the money and gold will be given back to the newly weds.  Close on 4.5 million baht, which will give them a good step on the housing ladder.

Decent families do give the dowry to the couple to start out their life together 

only parents form certain region/class expect payday from the wedding 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You better have that conversation with the mom as well.

All ready done and agreed on. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Is it a coincide that the country which gives brides gold and pays off the parents with cash also has world famous infidelity rates? Thai men are notorious mommy's boys too, maybe another connection there?

Whats the point of a certificate costing a small fortune? 

Thai Marriage cert does not cost a small fortune it's about 100b max.

Plus if she was to marry a falang especially under 50 he will need that to stay here on a marriage extension.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Buying daughters from their parents are from days of the slave trade which are long gone.

It's the opposite in India the Bride's family gives it to the Groom's family.

Oh why did I not marry an Indian Lady.............😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😢😢😢 The food would be better too. :cheesy::cheesy:

It's almost funny when lots of farangs, who decided to live in Thailand, tell us all what Thais should do and not do.

Do you think Thais will listen? Thanks, farang, for you great advise. Thanks that you teach us how to live. Really?

And then there are of course those foreigners who want to live in our home countries. Bastards! They just don't listen. And some have this attitude that they coitizes the way we live and our tradition. Throw them all out! Scum of the earth. How dare they do that.

Now, do you notice a little discrepancy? 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

His brain stopped working after he received his engineers diploma, hers is working overtime.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

My wife's family did that with her sister, gave the dowry and the money from the party to them which helped them buy a house. My wife and I  didn't have a party as it was close behind her sisters and her father didn't think it was right for people to pay twice so close. Then again we didn't pay a dowry. Some families are good. Oh and my wife according to thai tradition was dowry qualified plus has a degree. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes 21 years, and her parents refused a dowry... just asked me to take good care of their daughter.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A young engineer has captured hearts nationwide by presenting a dowry matching the bride's weight, totalling 120 baht of gold, in a unique and touching ceremony held yesterday in Pathum Thani.

One wonders how a "young" engineer was able to amass such a fortune, when the average monthly wage not so long ago was about 9,000 baht.

I doubt those citizens barely surviving economically will be feeling love and fuzzies for the couple.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Just a warning to those who intend to marry a Thai. You have to remember she's more than likely damaged goods and that negates Sin Sot.

Thai dowry prices fall drastically if your bride-to-be has been previously married, already has children, or is not a virgin anymore. In fact in most of these instances, no dowry deserves to be paid.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

If she weighs 120Kilo, a pic of her is needed.

Be difficult to fit all of her in the frame. Have to use wide or maybe panoramic mode🤣