Is Thailand really the 'Land Of Smiles' in 2024?

Posted (edited)

Ever seen the average Thai waiter or waitress, or average employee pretty much anywhere in Thailand with perhaps the exception of sales staff on a commission. 

Sad, brooding, unhappy looking faces sans any semblance of a smile.  That's pretty universal here in Thailand from my experience unless the help staff know you personally. 

Well, except shortly after post-Covid when the tourism industry was completely decimated and the bar-girls and massage gals hadn't seen anyone but local expats for 3 years.   Just stop by their empty shops and everyone was all smiles especially if you bought a round of drinks.  Now it's getting back to normal where there are sufficient tourists that they can go back to brooding. 
Saw the same effect in Olongapo PI back in the day when most of the ships were out to sea and the only USN customers where those of us working SRF Subic.  Walk into an empty bar and all the bar-girls were your friend.  Smiles everywhere.  Once the ships came to port - not so much.  😁

Edited by connda

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

4 pages of basically moaners here....struggled to get thru the 4 pages......thus im a bit foolish to even open this site anymore

...don't let the door whack your backside on the way out!

bob.

47 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I would have the same expression if I saw yhou walking into my shop...maybe its YOU, and not them.....I give a smile to a thai and usually get one in return..even got a few from the thai dudes.....not an easy feat .....

But as noted im off to go ride my bike and joke around with thais as all the grumpies sit here, moan and stereotype..enjoy!!!!

4 pages of basically moaners here....struggled to get thru the 4 pages......thus im a bit foolish to even open this site anymore

Are you going to cycle around the red light area honking your horn on your bicycle again ?

That must be hilarious to see 

On 5/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Its just stupid people who walk around smiling for no apparent  reason 

Perhaps you would prefer this vs a smile ?

What GIF - What GIFs

On 5/28/2024 at 2:56 PM, bob smith said:

I'll be completely honest, the vast majority of Thais I see out and about these days are still wearing masks, so it's practically impossible to see if they are smiling or not. And the ones that aren't wearing masks don't seem to be smiling much. Even eye contact these days is difficult to come by. 

Is Thailand still deserving of its famous slogan 'The Land Of Smiles' in 2024?

Bob. 

Thailand was and will always be the LAND OF SMILES when a foreigner has money in their hand ready to give them like the bar girls. . For the majority, they do not care and will not smile at you simply because you are a foreigner. Even when giving them a smile first. 

From 2010 I knew Thailand :

Τhe land of courtesy and smiles but European apartheid under President EU Commission Ursula von der Legen (Queen V.D.L) do not sign bilateral agreements visa free with Thai Government for Thais or Asians civilians.

We "accomodate" voluntary (???) in E.U apartheid the half Africa continent as well as Ukranians -Bangladeshis -Pakistanis - Indians but we have no visa free with Asian civilians.

I feel badly inconvenient every year accomodating my girlfriends from Bangkok at my home in Athens trying to convince them that in Europe you are not foreigner because you are from Asia and if you realize any hesitation from a European civilian against you is that they are confused with :

When we say Asia actually we mean China or when we say China we actually mean Asia? Noone know that!

American civilians hate Asians civilians for their own reasons and not the Europeans because in European States the Asian civilians have to have good reputation.

European civilians have clear discrimination as I do against black communty (dermatology) because they are involved in cocaine -heroin cartel trade and in homicides ,rapes,kidnapping,prostitution etc (Nigerian mafia).

All the wise "nice" and "innocent guys" from Africa States.

On 5/29/2024 at 1:13 PM, Hummin said:

Back in the days, Thai baht was cheap, everything was cheaper, the locals made more money with less investments, less risk, but now the country is overflooded by cheap tourism who exploit the best sites and locations for little money, and complain. 

Thais are tired of the negativity it comes with. Before there was in my opinion very few who complained, and those who complained was those who found love with a professional, and lost

Now, everything is wrong for some people, and you meet them everywhere

You seem to be making two claims, one, that Thais don't make much from tourism anymore and this makes them unhappy, and two, that moaning tourist are making Thai society as a whole more unhappy.  This is the first I have heard of either of these things from anyone anywhere.  Do you have anything to back this up?

On 5/29/2024 at 3:53 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

dont let them poison your mind. 

16 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You seem to be making two claims, one, that Thais don't make much from tourism anymore and this makes them unhappy, and two, that moaning tourist are making Thai society as a whole more unhappy.  This is the first I have heard of either of these things from anyone anywhere.  Do you have anything to back this up?

Back in the days there were less vendors who were involved in foreign tourism, Thai baht was cheaper, we had lower expectations, and we were more happy, as we were more happy, the locals were more happy.

Not really science BR! 

That's my experience Thailand was more grateful for the tourists before than now. Especially after The Tsunami 

The girls was not spoiled, had no social media creating false expectations, and Cheap mike (before Charlie) had a much larger range of cheap women and cheap offers. 

Now he competes with abdulla and zing zing

Bunch of grumpy old men here dreaming of the days when they were seen as superior in the eyes of Thais.  Guess what they don't need us in the slightest anymore and many just don't get this.  Growing old with grace and wisdom is somewhat of a rarity here on Asean Now.   What type of racist fool is completely disrespectful to the locals where they choose to reside?  Thais are humans therefore they can do foolish things on occasion but in comparison to some here on this thread....

As for the OP, If I was  beat down by life, drunk at least once a day, and spend all day posting here as he does, I doubt he would see a smile even if anyone in pity smiled in his direction.  I'm not a regular here but usually find his posts entertaining for whatever that is worth. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Bunch of grumpy old men here dreaming of the days when they were seen as superior in the eyes of Thais.  Guess what they don't need us in the slightest anymore and many just don't get this.  Growing old with grace and wisdom is somewhat of a rarity here on Asean Now.   What type of racist fool is completely disrespectful to the locals where they choose to reside?  Thais are humans therefore they can do foolish things on occasion but in comparison to some here on this thread....

As for the OP, If I was  beat down by life, drunk at least once a day, and spend all day posting here as he does, I doubt he would see a smile even if anyone in pity smiled in his direction.  I'm not a regular here but usually find his posts entertaining for whatever that is worth. 

At least good to be reminded once a day, how I do not want to become when I get older. 

Just now, Hummin said:

At least good to be reminded once a day, how I do not want to become when I get older. 

I'll be eligible to withdraw my private retirement saving in 1 years(58) so I guess I'm old.  Happens so fast but don't worry, many like myself are surprised that it keeps getting better and I made some terrible decisions along the way 🙂  The best one I made was coming here in 1998 and really never leaving other than one work stint.

• Thanks 1