Where do gays retire (other than Thailand)?

Message added by Juana Tenderloin,

This is the Gay forum with enhanced Forum Rules - Please observe the Code of Conduct for this forum.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

In the USA, (only experiences I know) ...

New Hope, PA ... not too expensive, a favorite, and visited frequently

Rehoboth Beach, DE ...  more expensive, also a favorite, and visited frequently

The Keys, FL ... very expensive, probably too touristy now

The options are.much much wider than such more stereotyped places. 

About those you missed the most obvious in the US, Wilton Manors (Ft. Lauderdale) and Palm Springs and Puerto Vallarta in Mexico. 

An example of the much more surprising Rochester New York for trans people and Cleveland Ohio for lots of gay culture and support services combined with affordable housing. Yeah most gay people can't afford places like Palm Springs.

Ironically I have a relative who has invited me to move in to her luxurious new custom built house on the Delaware shore close enough to Rehoboth. That might be tempting but the area has incredibly high housing costs plus a shortage of doctors for Medicare patients so even if I was offered a break on rent there would be inevitable bad feelings and resentment because there is no way I could afford market rent there. Plus a car required.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

What an odd question. Where do micro biologists retire, or print workers, stevedores, ships engineers, postal workers?  Anywhere, everywhere, who cares.  I bet its not in a Muslim country, that's for sure. If you are asking where are the most gay friendly countries, well that's a different question.  No idea on that score either. 

Watch the video and sample some of the podcasts if you're really interested.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not bizarre at all.

We're getting into borderline hostile responses.

It's very bizarre.

Where do straight people retire?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not bizarre at all.

We're getting into borderline hostile responses.

And you wonder why....🤔

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

It's very bizarre.

Where do straight people retire?

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not Wilton Manors.

They train sangteaw drivers here in Pattaya :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Anyway for anyone that is actually interested in this topic I suggest a close look at the podcast link.

There you will find interviews with gay people who have actually retired to a very wide list of destinations who talk about their experiences there both in general and more on brand related to gay specific aspects there.

So if this topic gets buried by the usual ignorant hecklers, at least reference to that useful resource will remain and perhaps be helpful to some people. 

2 minutes ago, theblether said:

Puerto Vallarta, Pacific coast, Mexico, is a busy retirement and vacation area for the North American gay community. 

And great fishing, but it is just soooo f'n hot.

3 minutes ago, theblether said:

Puerto Vallarta, Pacific coast, Mexico, is a busy retirement and vacation area for the North American gay community. 

Yes very much so.

But there are other great options in Mexico as well.

I'd consider PV myself but as is typical for very popular places its become over priced.

• Like 1

To repeat I think the real value in the Where Gays Go To Retire podcast is in its coverage of much less obvious destinations than places like Puerto Vallarta and Wilton Manors Ft. Lauderdale.

18 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And great fishing, but it is just soooo f'n hot.

I was in that general area for four months. When PV was too hot I went to Guadalajara which was cooler due to it's elevation. I loved Guadalajara, between it's historical areas, general topography and being situated near Bar Girl Heaven ( the town of Tequila ) I found it to be a vibrant and excellent place. However, it's not a well-known tourists destination and while I believe there is a substantial gay community there's very few Westerners. 

As this is the gay forum, I think anyone aiming to live around the American Consulate/Chapultepec Avenue area would have a great life and there was a large gay nightclub along from the hotel I used. Living further out would be difficult for anyone. A gay guy I knew in Chiang Mai moved to the burbs and hated it. 

So if PV is too obvious - Guadalajara is my dark horse recommendation. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why6 don't you go to the Golfing forum and tell them you don't play the game, or go to the Pets and Garden Forum and tell them you don't have a dog as you have no garden.

i said if you post on the internet you need to expect all kinds of responses. grow up. 

• Agree 2