I was bored out of my mind in Pattaya

Posted (edited)

The Op is not ready to retire.

The feeling of being useful vs the feeling of wallowing. That's what vacations are for, a break in the routine.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

The Op is not ready to retire.

The feeling of being useful vs the feeling of wallowing. That's what vacations are for, a break in the routine.

Nobody should retire before they have to 😉

I semi retired at 47, but think I will do some work as long I can! 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

My very first trip in North Sea offshore on an oil rig, I was cleaning every deck from top to bottom with an high pressure washer and I loved it 😄

Call it crazy, but it was the start of something great 😉

I've noticed road sweepers and cleaners have a lot of job satisfaction, something about sweeping

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2024 at 3:06 PM, noobexpat said:

Do you live in pattaya? 

Sun is bad for your skin.

I wouldn't go near the sea of course.

Cheap accommodation is not a hobby or pastime???

The gyms are spoiled by the skanky people pattaya attracts.

There are 2 malls worth visiting.

Been here nearly 2 years. Finding it a bit boring now.

No one is keeping you in Pattaya. Pattaya is not typical of the rest of Thailand. That's like living in London for 10 years and then thinking all of Britain is a <deleted><deleted>.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No one is keeping you in Pattaya. Pattaya is not typical of the rest of Thailand. That's like living in London for 10 years and then thinking all of Britain is a <deleted><deleted>.

Many blokes end up staying where they are simply because they get old quick. It's hard to relocate as a bloke who is getting older. Notably...

Body aches

Weight gain

Frequent urination

Lack of testosterone

Unwanted body changes

Lack of sexual desire & drive...

Can make it difficult for a bloke to take initiative and drive with it. A bloke just ends up staying where it's easy even if it's not the location they prefer.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I don't think it's just Pattaya that gets boring.

I retired early at 55, but after the initial honeymoon period I realized I was bored stupid in Khon Kaen.

I'm not a bar fly, don't golf, the beach has limited appeal, and I wanted to go back to work, which as we all know is pretty much impossible in Thailand

My boredom and my wife's stagnant career  possibilities is what prompted our move to the US.

Curiously now our annual trip back to our Thai home, seems a lot more exotic and exciting

A lot of the people on this forum would say you would be bored anywhere, that it's you. Is that true or are you less bored now then you were before?

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I don't think it's just Pattaya that gets boring.

I retired early at 55, but after the initial honeymoon period I realized I was bored stupid in Khon Kaen.

I'm not a bar fly, don't golf, the beach has limited appeal, and I wanted to go back to work, which as we all know is pretty much impossible in Thailand

My boredom and my wife's stagnant career  possibilities is what prompted our move to the US.

Curiously now our annual trip back to our Thai home, seems a lot more exotic and exciting

That applies to anyone without hobbies. If you don't find hobbies you will need to work until you drop off.

A nice 2 hrs of exercise whether it be a beach walk or membership to nice gym. Meal prep at home for lunch. A little TV, go out for some cold ones, go home get ready for dinner prep, after dinner stroll, maybe a beer on the beach, socialize. Then you have golf, if you like that. Go to mall for lunch and a movie. 

It may seem boring to some, to me it's a good time.

57 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Many blokes end up staying where they are simply because they get old quick. It's hard to relocate as a bloke who is getting older. Notably...

Body aches

Weight gain

Frequent urination

Lack of testosterone

Unwanted body changes

Lack of sexual desire & drive...

Can make it difficult for a bloke to take initiative and drive with it. A bloke just ends up staying where it's easy even if it's not the location they prefer.

Hmm... I don't see why any of the above should make it difficult to relocate, unless you are severely physically disabled. It's more down to the mental state and "I can't be bothered" attitude.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

A nice 2 hrs of exercise whether it be a beach walk or membership to nice gym. Meal prep at home for lunch. A little TV, go out for some cold ones, go home get ready for dinner prep, after dinner stroll, maybe a beer on the beach, socialize. Then you have golf, if you like that. Go to mall for lunch and a movie. 

It may seem boring to some, to me it's a good time.

What if people don't like golf or movies? Then it is just exercise so would not be fun for many. Retirement tends to suit low achievers with low expectations. You don't see many high achievers retiring young.

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

A lot of the people on this forum would say you would be bored anywhere, that it's you. Is that true or are you less bored now then you were before?

He had to go back go work due to lack of other interests 

52 minutes ago, susanlea said:

You don't see many high achievers retiring young.

Some people are obsessed with work, little other interests, or are tangled in a family they can't escape from so keep working

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some people are obsessed with work, little other interests, or are tangled in a family they can't escape from so keep working

Some poeple like to work becauese they enjoy it, have hobbies and a good wife they care for. 

Simple as that. Its all about the contrasts making life interesting 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

It was great to get back to work last night at the hospital 

Last week at this time I was getting a prostate exam at Dr Olivier's clinic in Pattaya 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/1/2024 at 10:06 AM, noobexpat said:

Do you live in pattaya? 

Sun is bad for your skin.

I wouldn't go near the sea of course.

Cheap accommodation is not a hobby or pastime???

The gyms are spoiled by the skanky people pattaya attracts.

There are 2 malls worth visiting.

Been here nearly 2 years. Finding it a bit boring now.

Noise and traffic is against central Pattaya. Having said that the traffic on the darkside can be heavy too.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why would someone get a male dr for a prostate exam?

Best ask georgieboy.... he's that one that willingly had his sphincter invaded by Dr Oliviers digit.

Maybe he enjoys the extra girth of the male fingers.

Edited by Ralf001

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

He had to go back go work due to lack of other interests 

If that what makes him happy all the best. In the long run probably better off than just doing hobbies on rotate for 25 years. I've never yet met a person who retired young and lasted more than 10 years as boredom sets in or they spent too much money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

If that what makes him happy all the best. In the long run probably better off than just doing hobbies on rotate for 25 years. I've never yet met a person who retired young and lasted more than 10 years as boredom sets in or they spent too much money.

You ought to get out more, i know people who've been retired 10 years and very happy, I'm not far from that. Work is over rated, but like i said some prefer it as they have nothing else.

Edit: also, some people don't mix well and get isolated, stewing on their own

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Haven't met me ... 23+ yrs on, and still have a few baht left :coffee1:

Not sure if 46 was young, but 69 still is 😎

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Well, it's true we have never met, but my farang wife and I retired at 44. Moved here 18 years ago. Never worked since, never been bored, have enough dosh for many decades more.

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've noticed road sweepers and cleaners have a lot of job satisfaction, something about sweeping

Well, for some that is great, but for others, it is okay to climb the lather and have the experience of starting from zero, for som eit is of great value especially when you later start your own company, and other businesses 😉