Thai TV

I have an up to date Smart TV and use an Android Box to watch TV when in Thailand - mainly UK stations. The box does have several Thai stations listed but they buffer a lot and are sometimes not available.  I would like the 'main' Thai TV stations to be available for when Thai friends come to stay.  Are they available online (legally) without being part of a package or would I have to use a satellite system/old fashioned aerial?

Posted (edited)

Most Thai broadcast TV stations are now digital and most modern smart TV's have a built in digital tuner. Just go to your "INPUT" key on your remote and click TV.  It should offer the option for the tuner to scan and list all available broadcast channels.  You will need some sort of an antenna.  Some apartments/condos may have one built in.  Otherwise, if you are in an urban area with strong signals, a very cheap indoor antenna usually works.  If in an outlying area then a very small outdoor antenna may be necessary.  You no longer need the large antennae's of the past.  It your TV does not have a built-in tuner, then most stores like LOTUS/Big-C can sell you a DTV box, under B500

Many cheap antennas on Lazada.

Edited by dddave
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I do - thank you very much. Are they free to air channels?

I have just located another AN thread on this, reading through it apparently I also need a reciever.  I don't need a 'receiver' to run my Android box, do you know what this 'receiver' is?

Edited by MangoKorat

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I do - thank you very much. Are they free to air channels?

I have just located another AN thread on this, reading through it apparently I also need a reciever.  I don't need a 'receiver' to run my Android box, do you know what this 'receiver' is?

The "Receiver" would be the digital tuner.  If your TV is a "Smart" TV, it probably has it built in.  Look for "channel scan".  If your TV does not have a built in tuner, then you need to buy a DTV box, available in most retail electronic departments and on Lazada as well as an antenna. Usually under B500 each.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 6:11 AM, dddave said:

The "Receiver" would be the digital tuner.  If your TV is a "Smart" TV, it probably has it built in.  Look for "channel scan".  If your TV does not have a built in tuner, then you need to buy a DTV box, available in most retail electronic departments and on Lazada as well as an antenna. Usually under B500 each.

Pretty sure my TV will have a digital tuner built in - 2024 Hisense Smart TV.  If that's the case, will the 3BB box be enough?

For local broadcast digital TV, you don't need any box if your TV has a built in digital tuner as yours almost certainly does.  All you need is an antenna.  Check and see what antennas neighbors in your area use.

There are currently about 25 active digital broadcast channels, at least where I am in the Bangkok-Pattaya area.  I don't know about Korat.  There are 8 additional DLTV (DirectLearningTV) educational channels

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1