Should a man know how to use a drill ?

Posted (edited)

I was working with a casual employee last night sweeping the hospital grounds 

He was an old guy who mentioned about how he was renovating his house 

I told him I didn't know how to do renovation or even use a drill .

That I called a Airtasker guy out to put my wooden bed together I bought from IKEA 

The first thing he did was laugh at me " a real man knows how to use a drill "" , he then immediately backtracked , " oh I don't mean it a bad way he said laughing 

Later I ignored zealous tart like this,off went my conversations with him and my ear phones on🙉🎧

But it's been on my mind all day !!

Even I saw a post on ASEAN today where a guy a former NURSE in his working career was writing he was doing plumbing, renovation  etc in his spare time at his house !

That made me angry😮 because I think of male nurses as feminine , so I'm thinking of he does ,should I have to know as well!

The thing is I never been interested in using a drill or going plumbing , electrical renovation etc ⚒️🔨

Does a "real man " know how to use a DRILL, should we all know how to put door frames on ,how to use a SAW ,a DRILL ?

Why should I bother learning?

I call tradesmen out 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was working with a casual employee last night sweeping the hospital grounds 

He was an old guy who mentioned about how he was renovating his house 

I told him I didn't know how to do renovation or even use a drill .

That I called a Airtasker guy out to put my wooden bed together I bought from IKEA 

The first thing he did was laugh at me " a real man knows how to use a drill "" , he then immediately backtracked , " oh I don't mean it a bad way he said laughing 

Later I ignored zealous tart like this,off went my conversations with him and my ear phones on🙉🎧

But it's been on my mind all day !!

Even I saw a post on ASEAN today where a guy a former NURSE in his working career was writing he was doing plumbing, renovation  etc in his spare time at his house !

That made me angry😮 because I think of male nurses as feminine , so I'm thinking of he does ,should I have to know as well!

The thing is I never been interested in using a drill or going plumbing , electrical renovation etc ⚒️🔨

Does a "real man " know how to use a DRILL, should we all know how to put door frames on ,how to use a SAW ,a DRILL ?

Why should I bother learning?

I call tradesmen out 

You should already know these things. I guess you have always been living in a cave.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

You should already know these things. I guess you have always been living in a cave.

And yet you have never walked the Manila Subway at night have you !

Admit it !

I done 2 nights at around 11pm walking back n forth ! 

• Confused 4

24 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

No I have not but I have walked some dodgy places in other places. Why would you do that? Wont learn how to use a drill there, dont think so anyway at least not the mechanical type.

Thankyou and it takes a man to admit they have never walked up & down the Manila subway at night like I did 👍many others won't admit it 

• Confused 6

55 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

And yet you have never walked the Manila Subway at night have you !

Admit it !

I done 2 nights at around 11pm walking back n forth ! 

Big 4..king deal. Now get that hole drilled in your cave wall. !

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, save the frogs said:

the cops didn't stop you?

what you need to worry about is "loose screws". 

they did stop him as he stated in another thread.  More power to him if he can get his thrill walking the subway.  I myself do walk back and forth for exercise.  Subways are interesting if you don't wait in a gel state.  Arguably more entertaining than posting here.

• Thumbs Up 2

I rarely use them since I fell in love with contact cement.  I tell myself that it is the better option and it isn't as permanent as a drill hole and I always make mistakes.  For those seldom drill users, HTF do you tell the difference between the cement and metal bits.  I gave up and just go with the right size.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I rarely use them since I fell in love with contact cement.  I tell myself that it is the better option and it isn't as permanent as a drill hole and I always make mistakes.  For those seldom drill users, HTF do you tell the difference between the cement and metal bits.  I gave up and just go with the right size.

Go to Home Pro or Global House and have a look. Self-educate yourself.

• Agree 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

Go to Home Pro or Global House and have a look. Self-educate yourself.

I have and i get it but 6 months later I forget. I assume you use them often enough or possibly just more intelligent.  Not a concern and as stated on this thread, real men are proficient with drilsl.  My less than manly self can easily find one of these creatures. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, atpeace said:

wood bit are shaped different    concrete bits are thicker (usually marked on the packaging )   whats left is for basically  everything else