Thaksin Plans Electoral Changes to Counter Move Forward's Rise

webfact

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Probably thought of this new scheme as a get out of jail card. The royalists, oligarchs and military will forgive him if he can put a stop to MFP, the reason he was allowed back in the first place. 

No, because his plan would give the PTP a better chance at power, which is the second-last thing they want.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

change to the country's electoral system

I'm beginning to wonder why Thailand even has a constitution. The military NCPO did just as well with its daily orders that had baked in automatic constitutionality without ever involving any electorate. 

The Senate is 100% unelected. Just do the same for the House which seems where Thaksin is headed - a one party system. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pheu Thai and Move Forward each secured 112 constituency-based MPs, with Move Forward outperforming Pheu Thai in the party-list category by 39 to 29 seats.

Based on those figures, the logic of Thaksin's alleged proposal isn't obvious. That is, it's not obvious that the party-list category is much of a problem for PTP.

If MFP had gained 10 more seats than PTP with the constituency seats and equal both with party-list, would he be proposing the opposite?

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Nonsense. Trump lost the popular vote by millions and was still elected in 2016 due to the electoral college. Last time a republican won the popular vote was? Maybe Reagan.

So it worked exactly the way it was supposed to, good. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

That is my fear also. I keep telling the Wife, either civil disturbance, or a coup by December. I really hope I am proven to be wrong, but all the time this criminal keeps stoking the pot from the sidelines there will never be total peace. If He cannot win, then change the system in his favour, geez, you cannot make this up. Where are the lawmakers that are supposed to protect the Populus.....Rhetorical question.......Throw him in jail, and weld the door shut.

There is not going to be a civil war in Thailand. This is white man's old age fantasy.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, jippytum said:

How can this man propose election changes when he is on parole, on bail and banned from politics. 

If he can keep any soldiers from trying to edge their way into any government, that will be a good start. If he can manage that, he can stay on bail, stay on parole, and even stay banned from politics forever.

• Confused 1