Does America have any candidates that aren't terrible?

I'm not American so don't have to. At least he made a start to universal healthcare in the States. Why does the right want to take it away? Like they want to take away just about everything? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TedG said:

You seem obsessed with pigmentation, and you can’t come up with any great accomplishments.   Obama is overrated.   

On the contrary, I would suggest that American politics is obsessed - let's say it for what it is - race and colour.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, TedG said:

The Democrats are obsessed with race.  Everything is about race.  You must be a Democrat.

Whilst I understand that perhaps there can be no greater insult, and therefore I am, perversely, somewhat flattered; sorry no, I am  English, I have spent some time in the United States. Politically I cannot decide whether I am a liberal conservative or a conservative liberal. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what Bernie Saunders says.

Mind you, in the current highly charged political atmosphere in the USA, that probably condemns me as a raving communist!

Edited by herfiehandbag

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 2:43 AM, susanlea said:

Bernie Sanders and DeSantis look the best options. Won't get a start. 

yeah, it's a massive conspiracy.

the candidates who actually care about the masses like bernie sanders who wants to implement universal health care are kept in the shadows.

thats why I'm so sick of all the back and forth bickering about which candidate is better.

neither is good and people should stop voting for either one of them. 

you're a smart kid, susanlea. you nailed it. 

Edited by save the frogs

5 hours ago, TedG said:

Obama is overrated. 

I was thrilled when he got elected, promising transparency and a bunch of other things. He delivered none of what he promised.

I wasn't pleased at all when he got a 2nd term.  Even less pleased when he left behind the most clandestine gub'ment the USA has ever had.  And that's saying a lot.  Plus, he still didn't deliver anything that was less expensive than when he walked in. (unless you were on welfare...)

I had Obamacare. Cost me $1,400 a month, and had more holes in it than Swiss cheese, on top of a horrendous deductible.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, TedG said:

Did he actually accomplish anything of note worthy? 

How the presidency turns out seems to be very subjective when taking over the country from the past one, and also the new challenges that's comes in their turn. 

Isn't that subjective what an president manages to do after taking over from one and give to another who tries to reverse everything you had done in revenge? 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

How the presidency turns out seems to be very subjective when taking over the country from the past one, and also the new challenges that's comes in their turn. 

Isn't that subjective what an president manages to do after taking over from one and give to another who tries to reverse everything you had done in revenge? 

Is this your way of saying that Obama didn't do much?  He did make a mess of the student loan program. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I was thrilled when he got elected, promising transparency and a bunch of other things. He delivered none of what he promised.

I wasn't pleased at all when he got a 2nd term.  Even less pleased when he left behind the most clandestine gub'ment the USA has ever had.  And that's saying a lot.  Plus, he still didn't deliver anything that was less expensive than when he walked in. (unless you were on welfare...)

I had Obamacare. Cost me $1,400 a month, and had more holes in it than Swiss cheese, on top of a horrendous deductible.

I was pricing the ACA.  I'm better off with COBRA if I leave my job. 

Biden and sleepwalking. Billions % from arm shipments to UA at 500% markups

Trump and Lemonia. nepotism. 

Omabam and wars. Lies lies and broken promises.

Bush and 9/11. Afghanistan. 

Clinton and Middle East crisis worsened. Monica.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TedG said:

Check out the plans.  It's not all that great. 

Compared to what was affordable for my wife and I pre-Obamacare... they were very good.  As small business owners health insurance was extremely expensive because it's risky for insurance companies to sell policies to individuals.  It's much less risky for those companies to sell to large groups because risk is averaged out over a larger base.  Higher risk means higher premiums to get the same coverage.  Too many people don't understand how insurance works and why a single-payer system can cost a lot less money.

Edited by gamb00ler
damn apostrophe rules

4 hours ago, TedG said:

Is this your way of saying that Obama didn't do much?  He did make a mess of the student loan program. 

How can I convince you ? I could post the google list, but really? 

Perception vs Perspective

Posted (edited)

There are many would be better candidates,

but it cost millions to effectively run a viable campaign, media coverage, travel, staff.

Certain wealthy individuals can self-finance, recouping back most of the money thru campaign contributions through PACs,

Most of the substantial $$ coming is from lobbyists, Corps, and dark money, all of which will require favors when elected.

Broke Joe Blow has little chance of ever being a viable candidate though they could be very effective if ever elected.

It's all about money and who you know and what bargains with the devil you are comfortable with. 

Edited by cobra

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

How can I convince you ? I could post the google list, but really? 

Perception vs Perspective

Try using solid examples. 

The Democrats are circling the wagons around Joe Biden. Joe Biden is not fit to serve as president. Finishing the term is one thing; trying to get reelected is denial.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TedG said:

The Democrats are circling the wagons around Joe Biden. Joe Biden is not fit to serve as president. Finishing the term is one thing; trying to get reelected is denial.   

Joe Scarborough :cheesy:

Look what he said 3 months ago

• Like 2

If you want to talk actual good candidates for either party I would say;

For the Democrats, Gov. Wes Moore of Maryland

Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona

For the GOP, Gov. Doug Burgum of North Dakota

Gov. Laura Kelly of Kansas

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, cobra said:

There are many would be better candidates,

but it cost millions to effectively run a viable campaign, media coverage, travel, staff.

The Democrats’ SOS Candidate Keeps His Options Open
Gov. J.B. Pritzker of Illinois has maintained his political organization, built a progressive record and is open about his ambitions. For now, he says, they don’t include the White House.

NB: Updated March 6, 2023 before Biden officially declared his candidacy April 23, 2023

Four months after winning a second term by 12.5 percentage points, Jay Robert Pritzker, 58, has maintained his political operation and his ambition. His influence and money reach far beyond state lines, and a string of progressive victories in the last year has raised his stature.

“He would run for two good reasons,” said Ray LaHood, a former Republican congressman from Peoria who served as a transportation secretary in the Obama administration. “He’s a billionaire * who’s not afraid to spend his own money, and he’s very progressive, which is where the Democratic Party is today.”

What they (Republicans) really admire, though, is the political instinct for the jugular under that jovial shell.

* Hyatt Hotels 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/03/us/politics/jb-pritzker-democrats-biden.html

Edited by jerrymahoney

7 hours ago, TedG said:

72% of voters say Biden does not have the cognitive ability for the presidency.  Biden is done. 

I can only assume that the other 28% weren't prepared to say so publically.

• Like 1