Recommendations for a laptop

connda

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Stay away from asus. 100% crap. Lenovo good

I would keep also the Fingers of from Lenovo, just had one. At first both Hinges were broken, new Screen installed under warranty. A week later Harddrive was broken, replaced at own costs. And again not even two weeks later the Motherboard was broken, replaced under warranty. Now I have an Acer Aspire 7, basically good but Battery is good for max. 4 hours only and the volume of the speakers is very limited. No MS Office packed installed, have to buy extra if needed.

Edited by UWEB
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Perhaps link to an example with 4GB of VRAM? Easy to just throw things out without much aforethought...

You want to buy a laptop for 20k.

You won't find a good new laptop for that kind of money. This is why I recommended buying a used one.

But I won't spend my time to look for one for you.

I recommended a ThinkPad, now it's time for you to look at the details - at least if you want to do that.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, UWEB said:

I would keep also the Fingers of from Lenovo, just had one. At first both Hinges were broken, new Screen installed under warranty. A week later Harddrive was broken, replaced at own costs. And again not even two weeks later the Motherboard was broken, replaced under warranty. Now I have an Acer Aspire 7, basically good but Battery is good for max. 4 hours only and the volume of the speakers is very limited. No MS Office packed installed, have to buy extra if needed.

Lenovo might be good, or not so good.

If you want a good one, buy a ThinkPad made for business, i.e. the T series. They are about as good as it gets.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Looking at laptops with a dedicated graphics card with 4GB of VRAM at a price of20k? I don't think so 😊

Install more system ram, that will increase the shared VRAM for integrated graphics. Ram is cheap, good quality such as Hynix or Samsung will do and the machine will run cooler.  And the op can stay within reason of his price range. 

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You want to buy a laptop for 20k.

You won't find a good new laptop for that kind of money. This is why I recommended buying a used one.

But I won't spend my time to look for one for you.

I recommended a ThinkPad, now it's time for you to look at the details - at least if you want to do that.

It's not for me. The OP asked for a laptop with a particular specification for 20k. 

Since you suggest a second hand Thinkpad, you must know of a Thinkpad model that fits the specification. Dedicated Graphics with 4GB of VRAM. It would certainly be helpful if you named it. Then they can search for that model and try to find on near budget.

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lenovo might be good, or not so good.

If you want a good one, buy a ThinkPad made for business, i.e. the T series. They are about as good as it gets.

Never ever again a Lenovo, lifetime of 18 month for a Notebook is far too short.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Never ever again a Lenovo, lifetime of 18 month for a Notebook is far too short.

Over many years I had several of them and my customers used them. I remember only one problem with any of them - a bad hinge. 

I bought the last one a couple of years ago including 3 years warranty. The warranty even includes if I drop it. I paid a little extra for that extended warranty, but it was really only a little extra.

1 hour ago, UWEB said:

I reinstall the operating system of any computer I purchase if it comes pre-loaded.  There is no way that I trust what someone else has pre-loaded on a computer.  Rather have a clean install as well as only installing the apps I want.  No MS Office?  No problem - I have used free Libre Office for years.  Thanks for the info!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, novacova said:

Dedicated gpu, a module card that fits into a slot…

IMG_2976.jpeg.b2c987c17a749804d3f96bd24f4c003b.jpeg

Integrated gpu, built into the processor…

IMG_2978.jpeg.b8acdfad5abfa7c985d332c04a4ab343.jpeg

How can you have "dedicated graphics" in a laptop.  They don't have PCI adapter slots that I'm aware of.  So how can a laptop have dedicated graphics?  Just wondering.  I really am ignorant here.

7 minutes ago, connda said:

How can you have "dedicated graphics" in a laptop.  They don't have PCI adapter slots that I'm aware of.  So how can a laptop have dedicated graphics?  Just wondering.  I really am ignorant here.

every laptop i have ever owned has had a separate nvidia graphics board in addition to the intel graphics on the motherboard.

here, take your pick

https://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+dedicated+graphics+card&oq=laptop+dedicated+graphics

3 hours ago, connda said:

True that, but what I've attempting to do is wrap my head around configurations that fit my needs, ie, Processor, graphic setup that is in my price range.  Examples are good, but if the store doesn't have a specific make/model then I'm looking for similar rigs with similar configurations.  But I got to start with examples to give me an idea of what to look for.

I personally wouldn't get a laptop with graphic card using shared RAM/memory.  Should have it's own dedicated RAM.   And you might need to up your budget more than 20k.

Last 2 we got, ASUS & Lenovo, me & wife, and were about eh 25k mark.  3 yrs old for me/ASUS (from JIB online), and maybe shy of 2 for her Lenovo, both running good (Win10).

The ASUS having dedicated graphic card, needed to run 2 of my programs for editing photos.   Promo for card (from NVIDIA):

image.png.374254b947a193891e1344a753b152f4.png

Graphic card made a major difference over prior laptop, another ASUS, and gave that one to daughter.

I would steer clear of HP / Acer, as too proprietary ... and crap.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

every laptop i have ever owned has had a separate nvidia graphics board in addition to the intel graphics on the motherboard.

here, take your pick

https://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+dedicated+graphics+card&oq=laptop+dedicated+graphics

Really?  Well I just learned something new.  I've been out of IT for close to two decades and I haven't kept up on changes in hardware architecture.  I need a "Dummies Guide To Laptop Hardware" or something like that.  Thanks for the link. 

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I personally wouldn't get a laptop with graphic card using shared RAM/memory.  Should have it's own dedicated RAM.   And you might need to up your budget more than 20k.

Yeah agreed, but I don't know sh*te about the hardware configuration of laptops - but I'm learning fast.  The app(s) I want to run takes 4GB VRAM so yeah, shared memory is not the way to go.  So looking for laptops with a dedicated graphics card now that I know they exist.  Thanks for the info!  :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Yeah agreed, but I don't know sh*te about the hardware configuration of laptops - but I'm learning fast.  The app(s) I want to run takes 4GB VRAM so yeah, shared memory is not the way to go.  So looking for laptops with a dedicated graphics card now that I know they exist.  Thanks for the info!  :thumbsup:

They are particularly useful if you are running high-def multiple monitor setups

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Not sure what's available now, but the NVIDIA MX 350 was configured as:

image.png.deadb638062caa7b32e2e1f34cfdf974.png

That wee bit made a huge difference in graphic processing speed over the DDRs available at the time.   I'm not much of a techie myself, and the program software stated minumum specs to use, and it was a noticeable difference.  LightRoom was instant response now, and Topaz DeNoise needed it just to operate.

Actually bought the newer laptop (RAM, SSD & graphic card) just for editing.   Oher laptop was like 5 yrs old, and not really worth upgrading.

Newer ASUS is from their VivoBook line, if that helps.

• Thanks 1

I've been poking around on trying to learn more.  Thunderbolt ports and eGPUs.  Never knew they existed.  I need to get a current book on laptops and read up.  I am wayyyyyy in back of the tech curve.  Moore's Law has left me in the dust since my IT days almost 2 decades ago. 

21 hours ago, connda said:

Normal use Internet, writing, online conferencing, but also using Whisper AI as a transcription tool  Minimum VRAM on a graphics care (GPU) needs to be 4GB.

We were at airport central this morning and this was sitting in the jib shop…

IMG_2980.thumb.jpeg.bbe133250af1d97d2b9d2beaf4cda4f7.jpeg

Anyway, best of luck 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, novacova said:

We were at airport central this morning and this was sitting in the jib shop…

IMG_2980.thumb.jpeg.bbe133250af1d97d2b9d2beaf4cda4f7.jpeg

Anyway, best of luck 

Full spec: https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/2301?M=82XV00N3TA

At that price point, there is also this: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/asus-vivobook-pro-15-d6500qe-hn701w-156-inch-gaming-and-creator-laptop-fhd-ips-144hz-amd-ryzen-7-5800h-16gb-ddr4-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-ti-512gb-m2-nvme-pcie-30-ssd-wifi-6-fingerprint-i5022381965-s21592450230.html

https://www.asus.com/th/laptops/for-home/vivobook/vivobook-pro-15-d6500-amd-ryzen-5000-series/

Better graphics, but the Lenovo has the edge with a updated platform.

• Thanks 1