Monthly budget in Thailand

susanlea

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No offence but your budget sounds like a justification rather than something you'd like. Food budget low and likely not too healthy given you aren't cooking and living in hotels. Not much pleasure in it. Somehow finding free bikes and gyms and 120 baht massages with presumably no tip. I had an 80 baht coconut shake today because the 30 baht ones are mainly water with added sugar and watermelon gets old fast. 

Not everyone gets pleasure the same way you do 

Some of us prefer going to the church gym and pushing weights , 

, not sitting ya  big fat bum in a bar !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

What's wrong George. Thailand holiday was a dud and being back at work sucks. Feel good to go around trying to get revenge for some perceived slight with 10 different posters. Lets talk about it. Are you ok?

He should follow my tips:

Roti no milk, 4 eggs and banana

5 hotels per city

Live football or car racing

69 baht curry special

Try different gyms

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

He should follow my tips:

Roti no milk, 4 eggs and banana

5 hotels per city

Live football or car racing

69 baht curry special

Try different gyms

Had 4 eggs last night and protein powder and banana in the blender 

Also  injection of 250 testereone ( which I don't recommend,it makes you angry )

As for trying different gyms ....I'm on the fence with that ,i have to  start walking around trying to find the machines etc 

Better to go at night ,I prefer 24 hours gyms 

I like to go at 2am 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, susanlea said:

One guy said he lives off 15,000 baht. The cheapest budget I can manage is 31,000 and that is it. How much do you spend? Could you have fun on 20,000? 

That's about our ball park monthly expenditures ... BUT ... we really don't have housing, car, electric or petrol costs.

2 adults and 1 ten-ish kg dog.

Only bills aside from food, eating in/out, are water & phone/internet.  Less than ฿2k, the rest of budget is food.  Probably spend ~70% in, and 30% out.  As we eat in over 90% of the time, home cooked, whole foods, from  scratch usually.

For reference, since Jan 1, 2024, we've lived off my monthly pension ($357 USD  (฿15-฿17k when ~$500) withdrawals (4), and we haven't touched my USA Social Security.   Did sell some gold, ฿60k when it broke ฿40k+/baht of gold. 

I have ~฿20k COH, and didn't get June's pension installment.  If ฿-$ remains same as today, that's ฿18k I'll get tomorrow from ATM.  So we'll have ~฿38k till next withdrawal, 2 months of budget easily.

Jan - June ... 4 X ฿17k = ฿68k + ฿60k (gold) = ฿128k - ฿20k (COH) = ฿108k

6 Months budget ... ฿108k = ฿18k a month average.  

We did a 14 night O&A, so call that B1000 a day, added cost, hotel, charging EV, and slight increase in food budget.

฿108k - ฿14k = ฿94k, so right ~15k a month budget.  Pretty damn accurate.

Any non-necessity one offs, and came from wife's account/transfer, not cash.

Can't think of any off top of my head this year.

For folks having problems with their budget, start writing everything down for a few months.   If you don't know where it's going, you can't manage it.  Learned that years ago.   Now I know what I start with, have COH, then the rest is easy.  That's my expenditures, and if more than expected, peek a bit more.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Had 4 eggs last night 

The 250 testereone ( which I don't recommend,it makes you angry )

As for trying different gyms ....I'm on the fence with that ,i havegto start walking around trying to find the machines etc 

Better to go at night ,I prefer 24 hours gyms 

I like to go at 2am 

I bought 7 exercise bands too. Rubber ones no handles. Can do a lot. Tie to tree for back, chest, arms. Put under feet for shoulders. They are way better than I thought and don't hurt joints like some free weights do. Plus light and easy to travel with. Can use in hotel or beach or park. Cheap too. You can also add them to free weights for added tension.

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

Thanks, but the request was for a link.  

Just guessing, but doubt if on internet, just walking around, and you'll find the bargains.   If a bargain, no need for the internet, as they don't last long.  3 bdrm townhouse here, 3500-5000.   No condos available.   Had a nice 3 bdrom townhouse fronting the bay, 15k, but didn't take dogs.  The one on the corner with the red scooter in front of it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's about our ball park monthly expenditures ... BUT ... we really don't have housing, car, electric or petrol costs.

2 adults and 1 ten-ish kg dog.

Only bills aside from food, eating in/out, are water & phone/internet.  Less than ฿2k, the rest of budget is food.  Probably spend ~70% in, and 30% out.  As we eat in over 90% of the time, home cooked, whole foods, from  scratch usually.

For reference, since Jan 1, 2024, we've lived off my monthly pension ($357 USD  (฿15-฿17k when ~$500) withdrawals (4), and we haven't touched my USA Social Security.   Did sell some gold, ฿60k when it broke ฿40k+/baht of gold. 

I have ~฿20k COH, and didn't get June's pension installment.  If ฿-$ remains same as today, that's ฿18k I'll get tomorrow from ATM.  So we'll have ~฿38k till next withdrawal, 2 months of budget easily.

Jan - June ... 4 X ฿17k = ฿68k + ฿60k (gold) = ฿128k - ฿20k (COH) = ฿108k

6 Months budget ... ฿108k = ฿18k a month average.  

We did a 14 night O&A, so call that B1000 a day, added cost, hotel, charging EV, and slight increase in food budget.

฿108k - ฿14k = ฿94k, so right ~15k a month budget.  Pretty damn accurate.

Any non-necessity one offs, and came from wife's account/transfer, not cash.

Can't think of any off top of my head this year.

For folks having problems with their budget, start writing everything down for a few months.   If you don't know where it's going, you can't manage it.  Learned that years ago.   Now I know what I start with, have COH, then the rest is easy.  That's my expenditures, and if more than expected, peek a bit more.

That's a life staying at home 90% off the time, that is already paid off and makes it's own electric. Yeah, if that was the goal, one never need much. Just one decent dinner last night with 4 glasses of proper wine, a water and a espresso + after a round of drinks in the bar costed me 4.5K.

I wonder what the point even is, to not spend your social security, if you do get it, and not have reasons to save it. Most people always seem to die with an incredible wealth left behind, by never having lived life fully, while did having worked for 40 years fulltime for it. What was the goal that entire time then?

I wonder this genuinely, I mean I could retire in 2 years from now if sticking to such budgets, at age 35.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

31 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Just a quick exchange of notes: I eat plenty of hummus, baba ghanoush (made with Thai eggplant and sesame seeds), black/red bean chilis, feta salads, bitter melon with egg, shiitake mushrooms. Year round veggies from the garden: green beans, bitter melon, eggplant, corn peppers, basils, carrots, collard, cilantro, etc. 20 years ago, without a car, I ate strictly what could be found at the local talaat nat, but have gradually shifted over time to a more Western diet, motivated mainly by a desire to eat a balanced more varied, healthy diet, but perhaps also because I found I missed some foods from back home.

I fully understand that on paper 500 baht for day would sound high, but that works out to 15,000 baht per month, and unless you eat like a bird, or eat a strictly vegan diet, I really don't think that it's excessive. The cost drivers are things like coffee, cooking oils (olive and avocado), nuts, chocolate, and imported fruit, and seafood. One thing you said which surprised me was that you think nuts are unhealthy. I'm under the impression that they are extremely heart healthy, rich in fiber, healthy fats, etc.

I don’t consider nuts unhealthy. I don’t eat them often in Thailand due to cost. I just think there are better things to eat that are cheap. Som o is a big one I left out. If I find somebody is unloading a batch at a reasonable cost I always buy them. I believe it’s one of the healthiest things you can eat in Thailand and a good way to hydrate yourself, much better than water

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

I don’t consider nuts unhealthy. I don’t eat them often in Thailand due to cost. I just think there are better things to eat that are cheap. Som o is a big one I left out. If I find somebody is unloading a batch at a reasonable cost I always buy them. I believe it’s one of the healthiest things you can eat in Thailand and a good way to hydrate yourself, much better than water

Peanuts are cheap enough but the others very expensive.

Just now, susanlea said:

Peanuts are cheap enough but the others very expensive.

Yeah there’s a peanut / anchovy snack at some 7-11’s I like. I really don’t like to eat stuff like that but sometimes I have to. It’s got sesame, some 🌶️ and some green flakes I don’t even know what they are but I recommend that one. And handful of thag can take you a long way in a pinch 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

Yeah there’s a peanut / anchovy snack at some 7-11’s I like. I really don’t like to eat stuff like that but sometimes I have to. It’s got sesame, some 🌶️ and some green flakes I don’t even know what they are but I recommend that one. And handful of thag can take you a long way in a pinch 

That one is nice. 

58 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No offence but your budget sounds like a justification rather than something you'd like. Food budget low and likely not too healthy given you aren't cooking and living in hotels. Not much pleasure in it. Somehow finding free bikes and gyms and 120 baht massages with presumably no tip. I had an 80 baht coconut shake today because the 30 baht ones are mainly water with added sugar and watermelon gets old fast. 

Most smoothies contain high fructose syrup which is why they taste nice, best avoided

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That's a life staying at home 90% off the time, that is already paid off and makes it's own electric. Yeah, if that was the goal, one never need much. Just one decent dinner last night with 4 glasses of proper wine, a water and a espresso + after a round of drinks in the bar costed me 4.5K.

I wonder what the point even is, to not spend your social security, if you do get it, and not have reasons to save it. Most people always seem to die with an incredible wealth left behind, by never having lived life fully, while did having worked for 40 years fulltime for it. What was the goal that entire time then?

I wonder this genuinely, I mean I could retire in 2 years from now if sticking to such budgets, at age 35.

Not at all, went to coffee shop today, than to favorite, choco fix drink surfside at the swimmer's beach, a few extra kms away from bay that fronts town.

We did 2 weeks O&A last month, and 11 nights out back in March, I think.  Not exactly staying home.   Did 20k kms first year of owning the EV, 10 local, of which 6000 were exploring locally, within 200 kms round trip.  The other 10k kms were O&A exploring the rest of TH.

Enjoy cycling/ebike, daily walks surfside w/dog, then local walk before sunset.   Main hobby is cooking, with whole foods, so time consuming & delicious.

When you have your custom house build in your preferred location, how often do you really need to leave home, though we do, quite often, locally & points beyond.  We want for nothing.

I lived one hell of life, very full, thank you.   Traveled out since working for 4 different airlines, and riding in the back of the bus/plane, or dealing with airports, now, is not pleasurable. NO THANKS.

The point about Soc Sec, is, I don't  need to.  Unless frivolous spending.  I got all the toys I can think of, and anything else is almost brand new, and paid for.   I can't think what to spend it on, TBH.

Don't drink alcohol, extremely rare, or have any vices any more.  Got a sh!t load of weed here, not even bothered to smoke.  No good movies out now to entice me to fire up.  Couple hobbies keep me entertained, beside cooking.

I'll tap a chunk of the SS when my brother & wife pop over in Nov. this year.  Surely some for us, as we'll be O&A more during rainy season, as our preferred traveling time.

I retied at 45/46 yrs old, and 69 now.  Have more money than I can realistically spend, unless frivolous.  Wife & kid are set.  All is good, and I'm happy as can be.

This is knockin' around the country, just this year ...

... stay at home ... oh please :coffee1:

image.png.cb588e33524c2f51e1a6725b1fa85792.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So how much is that not included part, and the rent, and other costs. Else it says nothing.

Rent/electric/water/health insurance//telephone/internet/visa all paid by my employer.

Car used for commuting to and from work is a company car... all expenses covered.

Edited by Ralf001

52 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You could grow your own and make peanut butter too.

Don't grow 'em, but only eat homemade PB.  Have a bunch of almonds and was surprised they make a nice PB.  Do cashews often, tasty, but plain peanuts are fine also..  Cheap at Makro.  Taste way better and much healthier than Jiff.

Same with homemade jelly, though no real bargain, as frozen fruit isn't inexpensive here.  But better & healthier is more important.

Edited by KhunLA