800 baht for a Residence Certificate at Immigration ??

Certain Embassies no longer issue proof of address.
In fact, just today reading some info on the British Embassy website, they accept a Certificate of residence from Immigration as proof of your address.

Your address is already on your existing licence, so why another CofR, unless you moved.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Your address is already on your existing licence, so why another CofR, unless you moved.

You require COR for example obtaining new TDL.

I recently renewed my TDL and have not changed address however needed to obtain new cor.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

where did this happen?

honestly... they have your info, so you can expect anything. is it supposed to be free? yes

do most of us pay? yes

used to be 500bht... seems they increased the fee...

so once again, where did this happen?

The location is irrelevant, my question was “ what would you have done in my situation ? “

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Certain Embassies no longer issue proof of address.
In fact, just today reading some info on the British Embassy website, they accept a Certificate of residence from Immigration as proof of your address.

Because that is what my DLT request for drivers licence renewal 

• Agree 1

At my SiSaKet Imm Office, when I needed a Residence Certificate to apply for my Thai driver's permit, it was issued on the spot (took 10 minutes) and when I asked how much I had to pay, they said it was free of charge (like it should be).

However, my Imm Office when I inquired beforehand told me that they only issue a Residence Certificate when you provide a filled-in Request form from the Thai authority that requires it for providing you a service. So I had to go first to the SiSaKet DTP (3 km down the road) to get that official Request Form - also issued on the spot and free of charge - and then to the Imm Office to get the Res-Cert, and then back to the DTP with that required document to apply for my Thai driver's permit. 

Issued in 1 hour (including eye/eaction-test).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

. It´s like taking the good with the bad, where the good is holding the power. Otherwise we would have left

I like the way you put that.

My thai partner an myself big fan of national parks.

Yes the old duel pricing. She Thai 40 baht me farang 200b.

Doesn't bother me one bit. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

13 minutes ago, novacova said:

Apparently you got the expedited service, lucky you. Free, wait up to two weeks. 500฿, next day.

You too fussy, they don’t want your business anymore.

No

It appears that way.

No, just don’t go back to that IO for a CoR on your own, you might have to hire an agent 

In the future, don’t fuss with the IO’s, things will definitely go much smoother.

My own opinion is that I overreacted and any other day would have put 400/500 baht on the table before walking out.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Without naming the immigration office it's useless to discuss.

My immigration office is CW.

Certificate of residence is 200b and delivered by mail. Takes about 5 working days. There is no option to pay extra and obtain COR on the spot.

In regards to embassies providing equivalent UK,USA,AU do not.

(no I'm not referring to income letter) 

Why is the location so important to you ? 
The question is:

Did I overreact or what would you do in this situation ?

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

My immigration office takes 500 baht for the paper, but why have a problem. Yeah, it´s supposed to be free. However, we chose to live in Thailand, we are aware of the special rules made up and corruption. We stay here because of many reason, where one is that it´s much cheaper than home. Then it´s not such a big deal to pay a little extra sometimes. It´s like taking the good with the bad, where the good is holding the power. Otherwise we would have left.

Thanks for your answer, i think i overreacted, hopefully i haven’t caused myself any future problems.

8 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

At my SiSaKet Imm Office, when I needed a Residence Certificate to apply for my Thai driver's permit, it was issued on the spot (took 10 minutes) and when I asked how much I had to pay, they said it was free of charge (like it should be).

However, my Imm Office when I inquired beforehand told me that they only issue a Residence Certificate when you provide a filled-in Request form from the Thai authority that requires it for providing you a service. So I had to go first to the SiSaKet DTP (3 km down the road) to get that official Request Form - also issued on the spot and free of charge - and then to the Imm Office to get the Res-Cert, and then back to the DTP with that required document to apply for my Thai driver's permit. 

Issued in 1 hour (including eye/eaction-test).

Yes, i have heard of this before.

My IO requested nothing only my passport and the filled form ……. oh and 800 baht !

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I like the way you put that.

My thai partner an myself big fan of national parks.

Yes the old duel pricing. She Thai 40 baht me farang 200b.

Doesn't bother me one bit. 

No, it´s just how it is. We went recently to Pattaya Snow "Frost Magical Ice of Siam". I was prepared to pay the double price, but showed my Thai driver license, and magically the woman in the booth gave me the Thai price. You can imagine my surprise. My chin fell and mouth wide open. 😉 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The location is irrelevant, my question was “ what would you have done in my situation ? “

I'd have done the same as you, but also added the UK Embassy doesn't issue them because that's not where I file my TM30.
There is a reason they offer no receipt, so their corrupt methods aren't exposed.

I'd have suggested at my next extension renewal I pay 500 BHT ........... no receipt required.

There are those that state there could be repercussions, but in my experience when you stand up and challenge them, they actually respect you more in the future.

One not to be trifled with.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks for your answer, i think i overreacted, hopefully i haven’t caused myself any future problems.

We all overreact sometimes. They are quite used to that and usually hold no grudge long time. You know, many people say that you should not take the <deleted>, but sometimes it´s better to just go with it. My advise for you, next time you need something. Like only the extension for one year. It´s 1900 baht. I always leave them 2k, and tell them to buy some donuts, like the US cops like. Just try it. I think they will understand, lighten up and give you a smile.

• Like 1

I am not saying I did the right thing am just asking what others would do in this situation.

Caught me on a bad day i suppose and normally I would offer 500 baht, if they insisted I would pay the 800 and spend the rest of the day angry at myself for not standing up to them.

• Haha 1