Thai-ed up: British man’s terrifying prison ordeal in Thailand

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Punishment, maybe, but utterly disproportionate, which reveals that human rights have no value in Thailand.

And embassies/Foreign Affairs depts, should do their job, issue warnings against Thailand and/or provide assistance to their nationals whose lives are at risk while processed by immigration.

This Human Rights BS is why there is so much dreadful behaviour in the world.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

he didn't have the sense to keep away from drugs, i had a friend Many years ago who fell into a bad crowd, known drug dealers, farangs, i told him to delete my number from his phone and not contact me again, yes we met many times after that but only as friends, to many risks I am not prepared to take, the thai police are ------- upt

That was a VERY sensible thing to do. I would stay away from anyone who buys and takes drugs in Thailand.

Sounds a fairer system then in the UK where we put illegals up in 3 star hotels, give them nice food and 43 quid a week. Then all they have to do is lie about being persecuted back 'home' after destroying all their ID. IDC needs to be a deferent, not a holiday camp. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Oh how intellectual 🙄

You Sir should join our academic club

Apparently you feel intellectually challenged, your club, I fear, would therefore offer me no stimulation but I appreciate your invitation to illuminate the wasteland minds of your members.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

What I don't understand people like that put on a plane leaving the next day in OZ

Simple Australia want rid of you so they foot the bill, Thailand are not prepared to pay for your repatriation, so you stay in IDC until you can get enough money together to pay for your flight, Immigration overstay fine, other court fine if any and your stay in IDC, in other words Thailand don't want you but still want your money.

14 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

The IDC detention center--is a nightmare, much worse then the BKK Hilton.

But you are only there until deportation-- no one is given a set  sentence to the IDC center. Your embassy is advised & If its the UK one (hard luck) they will then try to access family members to pay for your fare,

e & are reluctant for the embassy to pay for it if it isn't forthcoming from another source. But it does seem to be a long time for him to be in there waiting for deportation.

On the subject of Embassies, I'm a Brit who was Thailand-based, but worked in Australia for a while. The Australian Embassy was MUCH nicer to deal with than the British Embassy, and about half the cost if fees were involved too.☺️

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Friend who got out of the Hilton was placed in this IDC until he could get a ticket back to his home country. This detention center is worse then the worst prison. It is inhumane. It is for anyone who's visa has expired and/or who is forced to leave the country. There is a group of long time foreign inmates being allowed to run that place. (Think about that for a minute!)

The only thing free is the air and it stinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, craighj said:

Poor baby, if you can't do the time don't do the crime!

What is it with these knobheads, they get caught and then whinge about the conditions in a Thai jail!  Did they think they were going to the Hilton?

I have no sympathy at all.

Let's see how you will be doing, if you come across the wrong person setting you up, you could be there yourself out of nowhere. All he was doing is some teaching, everyone knows that half of them not have the right paperwork. Then for alcohol or drugs? which was not even his reason clearly, it was the overstay.

The post title is confusing btw, it is not about prison, it is about the IDC.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1