Why do so many people like Pattaya but hate Phuket?

susanlea

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I have been having a trial retirement and one thing that made me give Jomtiem a go rather than say Patong or Phuket town was it seemed like - unless you get a car - everything you need is close by. Jomtiem isn't too busy, nice outlook to the sea, affordable condos with gym and swimming pool, excellent food, massages etc nearby - and Pattaya minutes away if you want better shopping entertainment or other stuff. 

I have spent a lot of time in Phuket and the beaches are of course much better but there isn't one town or area that ticked the boxes though I may have a month or two in Phuket too - maybe Phuket town or in the west with a car - a bit later. 

What score would you give Jomtiem out of 10 so far?

I would give Hua Hin 7 and Chiang Mai 7. I have never found an 8 anywhere.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I choose Pattaya for the international airport location, I travel internationally every month. 

Hardly a game changer for choosing to live somewhere with the highest concentration of people who and whose lifestyle you seem to detest so much though !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, mancub said:

Hardly a game changer for choosing to live somewhere with the highest concentration of people who and whose lifestyle you seem to detest so much though !

It's been my home since the turn of the century. 

The place has changed, over the decades these types have been arriving in droves. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Regarding tourism it might be something general, as most people arrive in Bangkok, and it´s easy and close to reach Pattaya. After that, they are more famous worldwide for their many girls on offer, which is why a lot of single men comes to Thailand.

Regarding the expat community, I do not know if you are right. I see it as equal and that there are as many foreigners in Phuket as in Pattaya. It looks like the people that chose Phuket see themselves as higher class than people who chose Pattaya.

Seen to entertainment I would say they are much the same. Looking at food and hotels, there would be, according to me, a slight advantage for Phuket.

Really have no clear answer on why, just leaving my thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's probably why I see so many miserable elderly foreigners here in Pattaya, being on their pensions they don't have the funds to enjoy their retired life. 

Looking in the mirror much, don't you?

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I choose Pattaya for the international airport location, I travel internationally every month. 

Phuket also has an international airport, and it is actually closer than the one in BKK is to Pattaya.

Why you not just admit it that you are one of those you're talking about in your post?

6 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why the hostile comment? I can see that I found one of the types I described above. 

CallumWK, I work on offshore drilling rig, the rig travels to different countries around the world. Phuket airport does not get me to some countries without stop overs. 

Bangkok 2 airports so I see your point.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1